Fix the "Pointless Double Post" rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 25, 2017 at 3:29 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Recently, I got hit with a warning about a pointless double post that I made here: https://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/show-us-your-desktop.6464/page-8#post-361276 Now, don't get me wrong, the double post rule is necessary. But, I feel like the "Pointless" part of the double post needs to be emphasized. My DP was not Pointless, as it conveyed two different ideas that could not be made in one post. A "pointless" double post would only convey one idea that could easily be conveyed in one post. That's my opinion, and if anyone else has a different one, then please let me know.

Nov 25, 2017 at 3:54 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Well yeah, the 'pointless' isn't very clear indeed, but there isn't much else you can put down.
As the rules say, the edit button is there to be used instead of making you post twice in the same thread within a minute (or two).
You can say that your doublepost wasn't pointless, but really? Is it that hard to just have two different messages in the same post? Just put a small bit of room between the two, it looks a lot better to have two messages in one post than two posts from the same person.
The most exceptions you'll see to 'pointless' doubleposts is things like updates and especially when there's a bit of time between the two posts (though bumping the thread is a lesser nice case).

So yeah I'd say this is a 'pointless' doublepost by defenition, since it's easy to just edit your post to include it (though I suppose editing a post to include a quote doesn't make that alert that user).
I'm not a mod though, and this is just my opinion on this, not the law.

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:03 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
If you're going to post two things in very short succession then there is almost never an excuse not to edit the old one, especially when responding to other posts that have already been made. Pointlessness applies to both time and lack of reason in this context (the latter is less likely but still worth being specified separately from spam or bumps).

I'm not even leaving this open for discussion because it isn't :critter:

Status
Not open for further replies.