Final Columbus

May 13, 2011 at 6:50 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Whenever I go left here to go to the left map, it takes me there, but it places me too far right so that I immediately come back to this map. I'm here after riding the train back, too, and the train won't let me ride it again.

Gosh! I gotta fix that door issue... Did you save on the right of that point, or at the left place?

Oh, and one more thing: if you're still putting everything into Attack, then the enemies in the Fungi Cave is likely very, very unfair against you: it's around that point that the enemies' Atk starts to ramp up.

May 13, 2011 at 8:29 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've been putting more stuff into def now, but it was hell to get out of the fungi cave.

And I've saved on the right of that point, so unless you release a version with that door fixed (and that works with my save), I am probably stuck forever.

May 14, 2011 at 1:36 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Game does look pretty sweet, but I'll wait to give it a try until 1.2.6 comes out.

May 14, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Looks interesting, but I'm kinda busy right now. I'll make sure to check it out later and give you my feedback though ;).

May 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM
And I've saved on the right of that point, so unless you release a version with that door fixed (and that works with my save), I am probably stuck forever.

Oh. I'll try to get one up tomorrow. I'd done it today if I hadn't been too busy this weekend.

May 17, 2011 at 8:56 AM
UPDATE!!! to version 1.2.6

- Fatal subway door glitch fixed.
- Some random sprite work improvements I started to do before I learned about the fatal subway door glitch got into the update too.

EDIT: Oh, just use the download links on the first post - I've uploaded new versions to both files they lead to and the URLs are the same.

May 25, 2011 at 9:17 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Everyone's telling me to go stop smith at the watertower now. I'm at the water tower but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do. There's an area that looks just out of reach, but I can't get to it because I can only flap my wings 3 times.

May 26, 2011 at 2:45 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Been playing this, really enjoying it so far, did run into a couple of potential bugs though:
-Got stuck in the pipes a bit in the 'hot' area and couldn't move.
-Going through the doom after meeting the arms dealer for the second time (the one that advances the plot) and then trying to head back warps you to the room before the arms dealer. I assume this isn't meant to happen because going forward and back through the other door works normally.

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:44 PM
@DT:
-Going through the doom after meeting the arms dealer for the second time (the one that advances the plot) and then trying to head back warps you to the room before the arms dealer. I assume this isn't meant to happen because going forward and back through the other door works normally.
The cave is supposed to be haunted, so some doors lead to the wrong places. There's other doors leading around haphazardly around, too.

@GIR:
Everyone's telling me to go stop smith at the watertower now. I'm at the water tower but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do. There's an area that looks just out of reach, but I can't get to it because I can only flap my wings 3 times.
WATER TOWER???
I think you've misread something, otherwise I've mistyped something. If you have the wavegun, go to the building which is the exit to the basement tunnel thingie (blue one). Break these waveblocks, then explore. As soon as you encounter flying fish, you're on the right way.

If you want to try out a version with new graphics, go here: http://www.box.net/shared/s8i2zxegzm2adiyyg0mx
Note that it's not an official release, it's just a compilation of the source as it is right now. Shouldn't give you problems, hopefully. Lots of updated graphics, some audio updates, and some dialogue.

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:47 PM
This gravebump likely makes you nauseous, but I've updated the game 20 times and I'm still alive.

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Should I restart? D: I haven't played since last time I posted here, so at least I won't have to backtrack too far.

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:58 AM
It's been so long since I posted about an update here, so I'd recommend you to start from the beginning again. I've made a new intro conversation cutscene and stuff. I'm not even sure the latest version here supported 4 savefiles...

But if you don't want to, just copy your old save and see if you can load it properly. If you see a odd box and a rat instead of Mario at the file select screen, you have to start over, if not you can safely play the game with no trouble.

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:55 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Hey yal. I out of curiosity searched final colombus and found this:

Pretty recent too.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM
It's a VERY outdated video - just compare Mario's sprite or the message box with the screenshots on the first page and you'll see.

Also note that IQBrew is pretty incompetent - for instance he is silent during most of the video. And a bit in he fails to do a very easy jump for nearly a minute, he says the rats are too easy then instantly gets hit two times in a row and gets into mortal peril, etc...

so don't let that video throw you off.

I've actually been thinking about giving the game a better name, though. Searching "final columbus" gets you more sports result. I was thinking something like "Black Odyssey" or "Fatal Boy". But I'm awful at making up names for my games so I'm not really sure on any of them.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Final Columbus is a better name than either of those because it draws the attention of whoever. It is a name that makes me want to know more, whereas Black Odyssey/Fatal Boy are pretty bland.

But your game, sirrah.

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:19 AM
But your game, sirrah.
Sirrah? "Harris" backwards? Um... could you please explain what you mean in English, French, Swedish, Norwegian or Japanese (no kanji)?

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM
Sirrah is an obsolete/cowboy-y way of saying sir.

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:43 PM
So you're saying:
"Final Columbus is a good name. But your game, sir!"

...I still don't get it.

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:47 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Allow me to translate. I speak Lace.

"I like the old name because it's better than the other ones you suggested. But ultimately it is your decision because you are the developer of this game, not I."

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:11 PM
Hoxtilicious
Plays pretty nice, graphics are good but I don't like the music at all, sorry :x