Dwarf Fortress

Jul 5, 2010 at 11:39 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Oh, dear Lord, where do I begin? First off, it's an intentionally overly-complex "something" of a game. It shares many aspects with rogue-like RPGs and contains a still-overly-complex "Adventurer Mode" which doubles as a rouge-like. In the main game, however, you control everything that happens from overhead. You get dumped in an area of your choosing in a time period of your choosing or after year 1050. The whole world will be (randomly) created before you eyes and changed (randomly) by time, once more before your eyes. Then you sort of pick up where time left off and construct or dig/mine a fortress to house your dwarves, while providing for them, micromanaging a little bit of everything (such as economics, government, specific tasks...). Essentially, it's made to confuse and frustrate you. Any veteran players will generally build something huge-gantic and use lots of their engineering skills to build complex traps and machines to control almost everything.

If you want to try your hand at one of the most difficult, original, and fun games out there, you'll want to download this game. Don't let the confusing controls and ASCII graphics stop you, just play it. And remember: Losing is fun!

Go here for the game. Here is the Wiki (YOU WILL NEED IT PLEASE DON'T HESITATE TO VISIT IT), and here is an only slightly outdated guide to beginning the game

Oh, and I'm not kidding about the difficulty or the complexity.

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
lol 2 cats
2 cats!

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:49 PM
Banned
DragonBoots said:
lol 2 cats
2 cats!

Give them enough time and you'll have three.

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:02 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
An image my sister-in-law drew:
p104510-0-zx8e3s.gif

:3

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:18 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Fire1052 said:
...ASCII graphics...
ok, NEXT!
i got nothing against retro graphics (i still play computer D&D games from when MS-DOS was a viable OS, but ASCII is just a bit beyond that line, esp. for a (RT? or TB?) Strategy game

Jul 5, 2010 at 3:48 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh, and Dwarves melt in Rain

Metruler1990 said:
Fire1052 said:
...ASCII graphics...
ok, NEXT!
i got nothing against retro graphics (i still play computer D&D games from when MS-DOS was a viable OS, but ASCII is just a bit beyond that line, esp. for a (RT? or TB?) Strategy game
Pfff, if you had even bothered to read more about it on your own, you'd know there are several graphic hacks out there for it ^.^
None are 100% complete, but you can't complain about ASCII being your only reason to not try it :rolleyes:

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:02 PM
Banned
Re: Oh, and Dwarves melt in Rain

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Pfff, if you had even bothered to read more about it on your own, you'd know there are several graphic hacks out there for it ^.^
None are 100% complete, but you can't complain about ASCII being your only reason to not try it :rolleyes:

Dwarves only melt in rain if it's particularly warm out. Most dorfs actually either tolerate or even like the rain unless they are afflicted with some level of subterranean adaptation. Also I like class ASCII graphics. Also I'll never be able to play a Rogue-like again after this because the ground is actually represented by characters unlike every other game and it will throw me off.

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Can't joke with some people...

Fire1052 said:
Dwarves only melt in rain if it's particularly warm out. Most dorfs actually either tolerate or even like the rain unless they are afflicted with some level of subterranean adaptation. Also I like class ASCII graphics. Also I'll never be able to play a Rogue-like again after this because the ground is actually represented by characters unlike every other game and it will throw me off.
Dwarves melting in rain is actually a bug, it's listed right there with Dwarves not noticing that they're on fire and then getting thirsty and going for some beer. {Boots' post} :rolleyes:
And enjoy your ASCII if you do, that was just for the people who don't want to try Dwarf Fortress because of it.

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:03 PM
Banned
Re: Can't joke with some people...

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Dwarves melting in rain is actually a bug, it's listed right there with Dwarves not noticing that they're on fire and then getting thirsty and going for some beer. {Boots' post} :rolleyes:
And enjoy your ASCII if you do, that was just for the people who don't want to try Dwarf Fortress because of it.

You do realize I actually know these things, right?

Jul 5, 2010 at 6:27 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
C'mon, the ASCII art is awesome. Especially the animations. I wish I could draw in command prompt as well as they do :rolleyes:

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:14 PM
Banned
So after two fey weaponsmiths died due to me not having any coal, I was able to find someone who could make me coal in case another caught a strange mood. Suddenly, "Urist McCarpenter, Woodcrafter is taken by a fey mood!"

He ended up making a larch bukkit. FML

Jul 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. One of my favorite roguelikes.

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:12 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Audioworm said:
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. One of my favorite roguelikes.

D:

what.
It's not a roguelike at all.
Except adventure mode.
But the rest is not that at all.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:32 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Well version 0.34.11 is out!

We've got Minecarts, no more economy shit, and mason and carpenters no longer wall themselves up!
Also in adventurer mode we no longer have weird magic crap (To quote the dev "Stopped adventurer from turning into an underground creature when solid ground for placement couldn't be found")

All in all, the dwarves just got smarter!

Now that useful stuffs is out of the way...

I have been playing this game for quite some time now. In fact, I have enough knowledge on it to run a glacier fort, and a non-rock theme village.
Also I got a giant computer, but I don't really think it's any useful than sorting out kids and operating megatraps that makes soldiers useless.