Doconfig is not saving configuration.

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:12 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey.

I run Doconfig and change the options to my liking, but when I click OK and run the game, NONE of the changes apply! I ran Doconfig and changed the options around, clicked OK, and then ran Doconfig again, and it turned out that it keeps on resetting to default options for some reason. What could be causing this?

I HAVE tried making every single file in the Cave Story folder NOT read-only. That doesn't help, unfortunately.

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:14 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Aug 24, 2010 at 7:26 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Vista 32 bit

Also the game only saved once, with no gun in the starting point. Every other save I;ve made has not worked. For example, I saved in the mimiga village not long ago, and when I loaded the game again it threw me back at the starting point (no cutscene though) without the polar star.

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:46 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Is your game in the "Program Files" directory? If so, I think Vista won't let you change anything about it...

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:31 PM
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wedge of Cheese said:
Is your game in the "Program Files" directory? If so, I think Vista won't let you change anything about it...
No, I've changed DoConfig and saved games on Vista 32 bit, but go ahead and try that anyway. I have no idea what could be wrong. If moving doukutsu out of Program Files doesn't work, download a fresh copy of Cave Story.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:02 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I disabled Vista's super annoying User Account Control again (Not sure why I turned it back on in the first place) and it saves just fine now.

The only thing I can think of an explanation for is it's inability to save the game, User Account Control would have to ask for permission to overwrite something and just wouldn't. But that doesn't matter.

If you want to play cave story and be able to save, TURN OFF UAC. It doesn't do much but annoy you to death on, anyway. Doconfig works now, too.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Maybe this time I'll be able to beat Ballos before my harddrive crashes and erases everything again.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:02 AM
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
goodguy33 said:
If you want to play cave story and be able to save, TURN OFF UAC. It doesn't do much but annoy you to death on, anyway. Doconfig works now, too.
Yeah, I turned that off within a week of getting the computer. Two years ago. All sorts of horrible things happened after that, like Vista saying "HOLY FUCKING SHIT TURN USER ACCOUNT CONTROL BACK ON BEFORE 400,000 VIRUSES RAPE YOUR COMPUTER."
But if you plan on modding Cave Story, you definitely can't have it in Program Files. Stupid Vista.