Do you believe Nicalis stole the rights

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:43 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I don't think they would want to release it.
Less related and possibly a bit of a fiery take but I lowkey feel like we may be better off not having a sequel or 'CS2' in the first place, I can already tell comparisons to the original game and even the modding scene will be made. And that it is 'Not as nostalgic of an experience as Cave Story'.
At least unless Pixel joins in on making it, perhaps.

Dec 22, 2019 at 5:27 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Can we have Rockfish back? That was a Cave Story prequel.
What is Rockfish? I've never heard of it before.

Dec 22, 2019 at 6:51 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I love how during this thread with a few mentions of the beta we got new beta footage.

Nonetheless, updates to CS+ on pc is all I want, exclusivity helps nobody.

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:25 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Dec 22, 2019 at 11:35 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Honestly, if the Switch port can be the update for CS+, that'll be great. I know there are reasons against this idea, but with graphics for Xbox and PS4 buttons existing in the Switch port, either other console ports or at least a PC port were considered during development.

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:39 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The levels of misinformation are reaching peak stupidity.

-This is why there isn't a sequel to Cave Story (Though Tyrone teased at one in one of his more recent posts in response to me)
Pixel said he wasn't going to make a sequel. This was from before Nicalis was involved. Also he reaffirmed that stance EVERY SINGLE TIME he was asked in the years since. Also, Pink Heaven aside, Pixel has never done sequels.

-This is why we don't have Beta Cvae Story
Pixel said he didn't want to give us the beta because it was buggy. This was from before Nicalis was involved.

Also the one piece of beta content we got (wind fortress) was because Nicalis made the case for including it in CS+.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 4:16 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I'm staunchly anti-capitalist and I believe that copyright laws are a tool used by the rich to steal the work of the poor and use it for their own purposes. I mean, Disney wouldn't be Disney without its animators but they don't own the rights to any of the characters they create and they are given a fixed "allowance" (i.e. salary) from Disney rather than a percentage of profits which were entirely produced by their labor. You could make a character that sells for billions of dollars in movies, shows, and merchandise and while Disney's animators make $116,000-$125,000/year, that's pittance compared to the amount Disney, it's administration, and its shareholders earn in profits.

NICALIS did pretty much nothing other than make Cave Story look pretty and port it to some consoles. If Pixel isn't receiving at least a 75% share of the profits then I don't care if he was tricked or not, that's unacceptable.

Dec 24, 2019 at 4:22 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I'm staunchly anti-capitalist and I believe that copyright laws are a tool used by the rich to steal the work of the poor and use it for their own purposes. I mean, Disney wouldn't be Disney without its animators but they don't own the rights to any of the characters they create and they are given a fixed "allowance" (i.e. salary) from Disney rather than a percentage of profits which were entirely produced by their labor. You could make a character that sells for billions of dollars in movies, shows, and merchandise and while Disney's animators make $116,000-$125,000/year, that's pittance compared to the amount Disney, it's administration, and its shareholders earn in profits.

NICALIS did pretty much nothing other than make Cave Story look pretty and port it to some consoles. If Pixel isn't receiving at least a 75% share of the profits then I don't care if he was tricked or not, that's unacceptable.
do keep in mind the game was originally free. people are paying for the things nicalis added, even if they didnt add much. who cares what % he's getting as long as he's happy with it.

copyright laws do need to be fixed though, especially considering the stuff going on with youtube.

Dec 24, 2019 at 7:39 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I will admit this whole situation is confusing at times

Again my earlier post was just based on what people on twitter were alleging please don't label it as my beliefs, I'm just trying to play devil's advocate to solicit good counterclaims

I kinda think all the NICALiS drama is stupid and we should just avoid touching it because nothing good ever seems to arise from it be it the drama surrounding Tyrone or the "Rights to Cave Story" being "Taken" from Pixel

At this point the most I could say is I wish NICALiS treated CS a little better

Dec 25, 2019 at 1:17 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
At this point the most I could say is I wish NICALiS treated CS a little better
I take it that you have never played the switch port?

Dec 25, 2019 at 4:21 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Dec 25, 2019 at 6:22 PM
War criminal
The switch port is pretty good IMO
Great! So when is it gonna be ported on PC as an update to the original CS+?