Discourage/Ban Religious Discussion

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:36 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
If there weren't at least 3 people kicking shins to get everyone to shut up I have 100% faith that it would have spiralled out of control into an all-out brawl

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:37 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Noxid said:
If there weren't at least 3 people kicking shins to get everyone to shut up I have 100% faith that it would have spiralled out of control into an all-out brawl
I feel like the 3 or so people who were trying to "stop the fight" were just making it look a lot worse than it was/were making a big deal out of it.

I think part of the problem is the fact that we were discussing religion specifically, and given how those conversations tend to go, they have a reputation to turn into flamewars so you were just probably assuming that's where it was headed since I guess it's impossible for people to be level headed when discussing their faith :critter:

This whole thread seems to be based on that sole idea alone, and I think it's rather depressing, really.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:02 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
This isn't just about you though. We may have overreacted about this situation but the incidents with Bombchu Link are evident enough. But w/e man

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:25 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
True, but I've changed/become more mature now.

I was on a really 12 year old friendly forum with " :) 's" everywhere as my first forum experience.

There was no real discussion (outside of the debate area) and I never had my personal beliefs "attacked" before.

Everything just hit me and I exploded.

I'm almost saying that when I first joined I was a misfit and kind of am still.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Serri Online
War criminal
Aren't we all misfits, still?

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:42 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
My first forum experience was BZPower (back when it was just Bionicle Zone), but then shortly after (or maybe it was the first, it was almost at the same time) was Gamefaqs. And while I wasn't a member of Gamefaqs for a while, I did watch topics and catch on to how people are on the internet so I was a bit more prepared for the harsh "oh my god your opinion ****in' sucks you ****ing ***hat!" and crap like that ^_^

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:40 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Well frankly I'm pretty sure this forum is under better control than, you know, that.
Also more mature...

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Professional Whatever
Bombchu Link said:
True, but I've changed/become more mature now.
The point still stands that it happened and it can happen again.

Why do the conversations have to take over threads anyway? They're infectious. Why not just VM/PM someone if you want to talk about religion? Or talk on skype? Or use email? Something so that people who try to keep up with the forums don't have to sift through pages of religion and arguments.
And I realize that there are other ways to derail threads, but do we really, /really/ need to have religion debates in threads? Is it really that important to talk about it here than somewhere else?

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:11 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
MagicDoors said:
The point still stands that it happened and it can happen again.

Why do the conversations have to take over threads anyway? They're infectious. Why not just VM/PM someone if you want to talk about religion? Or talk on skype? Or use email? Something so that people who try to keep up with the forums don't have to sift through pages of religion and arguments.
And I realize that there are other ways to derail threads, but do we really, /really/ need to have religion debates in threads? Is it really that important to talk about it here than somewhere else?
^

I'm not as passionate about this situation before because I made this thread heat of the moment/nobody is really listening, but you basically said everything that I think should happen, and I hope people consider it.

And BL looking back I kinda phrased my post like it was entirely your fault. I mean you are passionate about that stuff and it kept going, but there were instigators as well. You definitely have grown from it a lot, I'd say. But I still think it should be discouraged/taken elsewhere (basically everything Doors said)

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:53 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Wild Desu said:
And BL looking back I kinda phrased my post like it was entirely your fault. I mean you are passionate about that stuff and it kept going, but there were instigators as well. You definitely have grown from it a lot, I'd say. But I still think it should be discouraged/taken elsewhere (basically everything Doors said)

I didn't catch that you were targeting me, I knew that you were making a point and trying to use an example and I was that example.

And yeah, I see your guys points, but it doesn't *have* to be this way. Everyone can get along....hopefully....

You definitely have grown from it a lot, I'd say.
Thank you, that means a lot to me.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:53 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I think Andwhyisit stated it pretty well. I think it's unnecessary to restrict people in having or mentioning their beliefs, but if you attack/force upon/try to prove wrong/etc... someone else's beliefs, then that's a need for banning. However banning because of small talk, or mentions, doesn't really seem to make sense or make people feel like a community.

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:04 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Except...that that topic itself was asking about Christianity...they were asking for religious input in the topic...

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:16 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
MagicDoors said:
You can't choose when and where nor with whom a subject matter will arise. What you say might be idyllic, but the real world doesn't work like that.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:41 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I've been trying to be very careful about what I say in terms of my beliefs, but I believe that all of the people I've seen on the forum are mature enough to respect each other's beliefs. I haven't been here very long, but in the time I have been on this forum I haven't seen any real religious disputes

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
heh, you should have seen the fiasco I threw just 4 months ago.

Me and my friend shut down our mods and repused to co-operate with the mods.

Start here

Or really here

It was pretty bad.

BUT I have learned from the past.

e: and reading it all again makes me look really immature..

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Sorry I'm late to the party, but it's kind of cool that I finally get to use "been busy with job" as an excuse :chin: Religion is still a relatively new point of contention around here, so I don't think it needs standalone treatment, at least for the time being. I agree that the forums are bad/awful at handling touchy topics, but a combination of telling people when to knock it off and dealing with recurring issues should theoretically work about as well as it does for most everything else.

Noxid said:
religion and politics, just don't bother unless you're looking for a rise
Actually I'd be surprised if more than maybe a couple people here actually knew enough about politics to get mad about it

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I've added the rule in.

DoubleThink said:
Actually I'd be surprised if more than maybe a couple people here actually knew enough about politics to get mad about it
Count me in as one of those people.

Regardless, it is a foolish notion to discuss local politics on an international forum simply because a large number of members would be unable to relate, with them being from other countries and whatnot.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:28 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Im fine with people bringing up religion. As long as:
a. there are no idiots trying to convert me or anyone else
b. No one describing why religion a is better than religion b
c. its kept to a minimal
d. it doesn't start flame war III

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:40 AM
Been here way too long...
Mason_the_Critic, being very helpful to people who didn't read the rest of the thread.

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:26 AM
Serri Online
War criminal
He's a good critic, I'll give credit for that.