Discourage/Ban Religious Discussion

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
And please Sable, please,
Stop pasting whatever I say on Skype here.
Really.
I'm not your reference source and also I don't want to be used as one!

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
2. Arguing and debating are allowed, and even encouraged to a certain degree. However, any instances of flaming/trolling/personal attacks or anything else the staff deems inappropriate will not be tolerated and will be dealt with immediately.

Discussing whether or not God exists is a discussion. Calling someone dumb for believing in God for an illogical reason is a personal attack. I think the difference is pretty clear and there's no need to start banning topics just because we can't handle all the drama. GIR is responsible for a good portion of the flaming in both religious discussions in question. If you have to ban something, ban him.

P.S. It doesn't matter whether or not a topic is taboo or unrelated to the forums. Beards and sandwiches are also unrelated but those threads did fine. Also religion is not a taboo subject, you are trying to make it a taboo subject. Banning discussion of religion prevents anyone from learning about it, like when Bombchu Link promised to research things before starting a religious debate.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:57 PM
War criminal
Let's just be glad there hopefully aren't any Westboro Baptist church users in the forums. They get mad at just about everything. Even themselves.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The problem is really stemmed from this notion people have that any counter-opinion someone else has is automatically wrong by default. This is not just a problem with religion. It's actually a common problem on the net.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I don't understand why this has really happened since me and edward18 were just having a little back and forth debate and then suddenly everyone tells us to stop "arguing". Was this really taking things too far, or are we just supposed to avoid discussing hot topics in fear of someone taking offense to a little debate?

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I'm completely fine with religious discussion. I actually had quite a nice conversation with Bombchu Link about the whole thing, once. What I do not like is people showing up (usually Christians...) who think that the best way to convince people they're right in their beliefs is to shove them in everyone's faces. That's so wrong and ughhhhhhh
For the love of god, guys, we're supposed to show them we're right by being kind and loving to everyone. When you're getting mad at someone for them not believing then why the hell do you think they'll start believing?
If you do this, you are literally the reason they will not convert. If you want people to learn about God, figure out yourself that God = Charity = Love, and be charitable to everyone you meet. Do that, and people might start getting the right idea about the religion.

Honestly, the only religious discussion I've ever seen on here is relating to Christianity, and as I've just pointed out we shouldn't need to shove our beliefs in people's faces like has always been the case here. Just do what you're supposed to, and others will follow suit.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:43 AM
Perpetually out of it
Most unusual
Troll
Forum
Ever
Like nothing comes even close to what I've seen and how...
Wait a troll forum?

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:04 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I personally find it annoying when religion is brought into things, as it;s something everyone has different viewpoints on or may have none at all.

Everyone can believe what they want. Though my mom is a christian and I've been to church, I'm not religious. However, I respect one's beliefs, and sometimes belief differences can start an argument. That is, if you're an asshole who shoves their beliefs into other's faces, yell at them when they say "Hell" or use God's name in vain... Those guys are jerks. But let's not go there right now, we're talking about banning religious discussion.

I don't have too much of a say as I haven't seen too much of anything and if I have, I must have forgotten about it, but I can see how it's annoying. All arguments, mostly petty ones, are annoying. Ones that are meaningful, helpful and utilizes all viewpoints and respects them aren't annoying and should be what's going on. According to what I've read, every religious argument ends in a bad tone. However, we don't need to ban religious arguments, we can tell people to not be rude... But that'll never happen, not on here. People are just so ignorant of other's ways they'll offend everyone to get their way, even when they say they're nice or act nice.

All in all, do I agree on banning religious discussion? Not really.

Is it needed in this forum? Yes, because unless some magic fairy comes by and makes everyone super nice, these arguments are going to end up being what finally destroys our community. If not it directly, then it'd be a contributing factor.

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:14 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Wouldn't it be funny if this turned into an argument?
Probably not.

Eh. I think there should be a middle ground. Religion is *not* part of the main point of this forum. However there *are* people on this forum that are religious. That's a part of any community. Everyone has their own beliefs, and sooner or later they will come up. Their's nothing wrong with religion being brought up, as much as any other belief's we hold. It's really a matter of respect. If it becomes a bad argument, then we should treat it as any other argument that gets ugly. If a brony and an anti-brony have an argument, we tell them to knock it off, not to ban all pony's and pony related content (though I'm not sure how well this analogy stands up, since I'm not a brony myself).

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:33 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
MagicDoors said:
Twice isn't really a trend.
Have you seen a single religious discussion on this forum that isn't venemous? The problem is that we can't handle that topic of discussion, and everyone gets butthurt over it. And as stated already, this is NOT a religious forum. This is a forum for discussing video games. To be frank no one here cares about what you do or don't believe in.

Also: do you really think the moderators aren't doing their best? How about you take a step in their shoes? Maybe you'd like to ban the dozens of spambots that show up here, or try and figure out what is over the line of provocative behaviour?
Also also: Dasu is not trying to start shit. She made a thread to ban unnecessary arguments TO HELP THE FORUMS. She even said that her reasoning was that she wanted us to be friends. Maybe you shouldn't talk behind her back when she decides to speak up about what she thinks is wrong or bad.
Whoa. Doors. Clam down. It was a suggestion. Just a suggestion. Really, I wasn't saying that the mods/admin were doing a bad job or anything. Just a suggestion.

And, "Also also: Dasu is not trying to start shit. She made a thread to ban unnecessary arguments TO HELP THE FORUMS. She even said that her reasoning was that she wanted us to be friends. Maybe you shouldn't talk behind her back when she decides to speak up about what she thinks is wrong or bad."
If you're addressing me, please understand that I was trying to make an lighthearted joke.

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:54 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Is this a suitable rule regarding religion:
Don't attack people over their religion or lack thereof and please refrain from being excessively preachy.

Feel free to make suggestions.

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:56 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
Is this a suitable rule regarding religion:
Don't attack people over their religion or lack thereof and please refrain from being excessively preachy.

Feel free to make suggestions.
Isn't this sort of what we have in place and what we already do though?

I mean I guess it would be good to explicitly state it but still.

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:57 AM
Professional Whatever
Second point might need to be more definitive imo, like "please refrain from trying to push your religion onto others"

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:04 AM
Perpetually out of it
Is this in the official rules for the forums yet?

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:11 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Feb 5, 2014 at 7:35 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
So...was this all about that little discussion I was havin' in the other topic about scientific matter and all that crap?...cause...like Gir said, it was just a little debate. A discussion. Then out of nowhere everyone starts yellin' for some reason. As far as I could tell it was a nice intellectual conversing bit.

I guess it's partly got to do with it being the internet and you can't really hear the level of someone's voice or anything so it *might* have looked like an argument was goin' on, but even then, the excitedness later just seemed like a bit of an overreaction to me.