Designing Cave Story

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:43 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
There are very few open-source 2D rendering engines out there (unlike in 3D - there are a lot of open-source rendering engines for 3D games, such as OGRE). It definitely seems like he wrote his own engine.

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:10 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've worked a lot with Ogre, its the best 3D engine out there. But don't forget about irrlicht, Ogre's main competitor.

To those who think winAPI is simple, i just had to go through the relatively "simple" (HAHAHAHAHA) process of adding a menu, and it involved approximetly 30 lines of code... to put in 4 menu items? :p Now, of course, i have to write all the code that goes into opening a file dialog, choosing the file, and opening the file... Joy.

Now granted once you understand winAPI, its not that hard to do things. But wow, is it time-consuming.

Jul 16, 2007 at 10:18 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Come on, writing a 2D engine on modern systems and C++ isn't so hard.
Even I can do it with SDL and Ruby, though I haven't figured out why the clipping doesn't work on the left/upper side and the collision detection doesn't really detect collisions :p

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:33 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Blackhole said:
30 lines of code... to put in 4 menu items? :p Now, of course, i have to write all the code that goes into opening a file dialog, choosing the file, and opening the file... Joy.

Now granted once you understand winAPI, its not that hard to do things. But wow, is it time-consuming.

Why don't you just simplify all of that crap for yourself by making a function? One line for one menu item. Unless that is impossible, which it very well may be.

Thankfully, I am religiously cross-platform, so I'll never have to deal with winAPI. Hopefully. :p

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:30 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Blackhole said:
I've worked a lot with Ogre, its the best 3D engine out there.

Blender. Google it. It's pretty darn good, and it's completely free. It does 3D rendering, animation, terrain, and can even make basic games.

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:45 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Er, thats completely different. Blender is designed for 3D modelling and perhaps a bit of testing for games... but its really just a glorified 3D modeller. Ogre is built for rendering stuff.

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:47 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Sorry. My bad.