Dankutsu (Nerdieo stream submission)

Nov 5, 2022 at 5:11 AM
"Huzzah!"
Tonight, I have released Dankutsu on Doukutsu Club. Dankutsu is something I've been working on for the past couple of weeks, and now I can show it off.
It has been submitted to Nerdieo's mod showcase, and will played in his live stream. I may continue to update it, and I've already updated it twice.
I hope you enjoy playing it.
Download it here: https://doukutsuclub.knack.com/database#my-mods/mod-details/6365cc3bbbe4a1002141ab99/
1667625082308.png

Nov 5, 2022 at 7:33 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
the door-less passages make door noises

1667676060964.png
this is a safe spot

1667676201950.png
you have mixed foreground and background tiles here

you can prolong the xsphere's suffering by continuing to hit it because the game does not take away the control from you. the cutscene will never finish as long as you keep landing your shots

the music is nice but horribly loud compared to the rest of the game, so i didn't really enjoy it

i really dislike the protagonist's overworld sprite, it feels super rushed and ugly compared to the rest of the game

it was a pretty short but decent mod, not much else to say. worth trying if you have 15 spare minutes

Nov 5, 2022 at 8:39 PM
"Huzzah!"
the door-less passages make door noises

View attachment 8743
this is a safe spot

View attachment 8744
you have mixed foreground and background tiles here

you can prolong the xsphere's suffering by continuing to hit it because the game does not take away the control from you. the cutscene will never finish as long as you keep landing your shots

the music is nice but horribly loud compared to the rest of the game, so i didn't really enjoy it

i really dislike the protagonist's overworld sprite, it feels super rushed and ugly compared to the rest of the game

it was a pretty short but decent mod, not much else to say. worth trying if you have 15 spare minutes
I released an update that fixes the music volume, and few other things.
Clearly you dislike this mod, so I don't think you'd care that much.
This mod is admittedly not that good.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 11:21 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
that's a bit uncalled for

anyway
1667689602607.png
you can get your soap stuck underneath the ledge too

and just so you don't think i come here solely to hate on your mod, i would like to point out that i like the idea behind the gun, using three different projectiles to make it more unique. i especially like the laser

i played through the mod again and it still feels like the music is too loud. maybe i just have delicate ears and you should get a second opinion on it

also considering the mod has (almost) no story, the village feels a bit forced in. i mean, maybe it shows that the miamiagas escaped to the caves, but they just ignore you and all the doors are locked so it feels odd. or maybe i'm nitpicking because i see a village with sentient rabbits and i immediately try comparing it to the mimiga village from cavestory itself

1667690232492.png
entering this area has a bat falling onto your head right away, you might want to move it to the side

1667690363380.png
it's possible to fly out of the arena and go out of bounds if you stand on top of the boss and just boost upwards

you have not fixed the infinite cutscene by the way. a simple <KEY would suffice
a question, is the mod in 60 fps? because it feels like the framerate is higher somehow

Nov 6, 2022 at 12:13 AM
"Huzzah!"
that's a bit uncalled for

anyway
View attachment 8745
you can get your soap stuck underneath the ledge too

and just so you don't think i come here solely to hate on your mod, i would like to point out that i like the idea behind the gun, using three different projectiles to make it more unique. i especially like the laser

i played through the mod again and it still feels like the music is too loud. maybe i just have delicate ears and you should get a second opinion on it

also considering the mod has (almost) no story, the village feels a bit forced in. i mean, maybe it shows that the miamiagas escaped to the caves, but they just ignore you and all the doors are locked so it feels odd. or maybe i'm nitpicking because i see a village with sentient rabbits and i immediately try comparing it to the mimiga village from cavestory itself

View attachment 8746
entering this area has a bat falling onto your head right away, you might want to move it to the side

View attachment 8747
it's possible to fly out of the arena and go out of bounds if you stand on top of the boss and just boost upwards

you have not fixed the infinite cutscene by the way. a simple <KEY would suffice
a question, is the mod in 60 fps? because it feels like the framerate is higher somehow
Forgot to fix that part.
Yes, it's in 60 fps. I keep having to release updates because I keep noticing things wrong. Now I'm burnt out so I don't know if I'll release another update. I doubt it will even make it into Nerdieo's video.

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:23 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The main menu immediately grabbed my attention. The music had a nice calm but ominous feel to it, so I listened to it before starting. It was a bit short, and the loop was a bit jarring, but I still enjoyed it.

The mod maintained a dark, wary atmosphere. The level design and progression was decent, and it evolved rapidly enough to keep me engaged the whole time. The Mimigas that you talk to in the village felt a bit repetitive, but the fishing one was pretty interesting. The music was pretty good, I especially liked the music in the crimson cave, it reminded me of the music from Need For Madness.

If there was one thing I didn't like, it was in Crimson Cavern B2, that bat divebombed on me immediately when I entered, which I think was kind of cheap. It may have had a save point right before then, but still, I think something like that is just too sudden of a kill when I had low health.

Overall, this felt like a nice, self-contained short little mod. It kind of reminded me of openCS and Cascade.

Dec 12, 2022 at 10:34 PM
"Huzzah!"
The main menu immediately grabbed my attention. The music had a nice calm but ominous feel to it, so I listened to it before starting. It was a bit short, and the loop was a bit jarring, but I still enjoyed it.

The mod maintained a dark, wary atmosphere. The level design and progression was decent, and it evolved rapidly enough to keep me engaged the whole time. The Mimigas that you talk to in the village felt a bit repetitive, but the fishing one was pretty interesting. The music was pretty good, I especially liked the music in the crimson cave, it reminded me of the music from Need For Madness.

If there was one thing I didn't like, it was in Crimson Cavern B2, that bat divebombed on me immediately when I entered, which I think was kind of cheap. It may have had a save point right before then, but still, I think something like that is just too sudden of a kill when I had low health.

Overall, this felt like a nice, self-contained short little mod. It kind of reminded me of openCS and Cascade.
Can't believe I didn't see your post until now. Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, this mod did not make it into Nerdieo's video. I know why, I'm just not gonna say it here.
It's now safe to say that Dankutsu has become tainted for me. I thought about making an expansion update to the mod, but that's out of the question now.