CSE2 - The Cave Story decompilation project

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:49 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Nov 23, 2020 at 8:04 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ah goddammit it got DMCA'd exactly when I decided to mess around with the code again.
Guess there is no way to download it now, eh. Sad times

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:54 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There's somebody in the CSE2 server pretending to be a lawyer with random tidbits like "I'm in contact with an ex nicalis employee who confirmed with me that the purchase of the cave story IP from pixel included the original freeware game and source".

in case anybody was wondering, I'm the one who said this, and the ex employee I'm talking about is also a longstanding member of this forum.

I'll let you decide whether I'm more credible than the brand new 2 post account trying to discount my claims

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:57 PM
War criminal
I'll let you decide whether I'm more credible than the brand new 2 post account trying to discount my claims
He'll try discounting you even more because "muh post count". But thank you so much Dunc, for helping clear that one up.

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:57 PM
Nov 23, 2020 at 10:00 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
It disappoints me that someone is this resentful towards the community to throw everyone under the bus like this.

If NICALiS had the rights to the game's source code then why haven't they taken down modding this game as a whole? What do they gain from holding the game captive other than "Look we can do a basic lighting system and some funky looking water", it's rather self destructive if you ask me, it's only going to stunt what little growth the game still has.

If CSE2 really is dead it'd really only be a matter of time before a CSE3 is made that is just a complete replacement for the source, or people use cs gm to make fangames farhter away from the grasp of NICALiS.

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:46 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
What I'm interested at now is where this is going in general but more importantly like;
- Wether Nicalis ( or Tyrone) will show some response about it, especially with all the mention of false claims
- Probably more importantly, what @Clownacy is gonna do about this, if anything. Unless I'm being forgetful and someone else is in charge of the mess.
I kinda wish things could stay a bit civil until then, I'm not a moderator in any of the related communities but it still kinda feels not great to hear that people are already flinging themselves at each other about this.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 10:52 PM
it still kinda feels not great to hear that people are already flinging themselves at each other about this.
You should be glad you're not in CSE2's discord server, that way your opinion can stay the same about this statement.

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:31 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
in case anybody was wondering, I'm the one who said this, and the ex employee I'm talking about is also a longstanding member of this forum.

get off ur high horse
If anyone didn't know, this account is an EwanGreen4 alt.
sure

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:46 PM
Based Member
It makes me very sad to see this happen. I never did anything with CSE2 and never planned on it since I moved on from Cave Story modding years ago, but I loved seeing innovation in the modding community even 15+ years after the game was originally released. Modding has long been one of the only things still pumping fresh air into this community, and I hate to see one of the most prominent sources of fresh air choked off. Heck, even back in January 2011 (almost 10 years ago!), the consensus was that modding is one of the only things keeping these forums alive.

Of course, there's the one other thing that used to keep these forums active, and that's forum drama. It's weird seeing drama on these forums and so many users online at once after things being quiet for so long.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:56 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
(disclaimer for onlookers: I'm not a moderator of this forum, or the Doukutstu club. I am merely an onlooker, and this is merely my prediction of what will happen)

Even though I've stopped modding just over a year ago now, It still makes me incredibly sad seeing the project that has had the most effort, and energy put into it, getting struck down for being legally gray, thanks in part to the malicious intent of a literal child.

While this doesn't stop the distribution of the project itself, as piracy is prominent as always; This, will likely kill CSE2 as a viable option for the modding community. I don't see much time passing before CSE2 mods get banned from the CSTSF and/or Doukutsu club; under risk of a certain adamant, active member taking actions, and reporting all content to NiCALiS directly.

Unless there is a statement by NiCALiS directly that reverses this and re-enstates the github page; allowing CSE2 mods are now a permanent liability, and could reasonably cause any place that hosts, or links to the project, to come under fire of a DCMA.

This, unless overturned, does mark the permanent death of the CS modding community as we know it, reverting it back to Assembly code, trojan sound.dll files, and going back to the roots of x86 assembly. All we can do is pray that NiCALiS doesn't come after freeware mods, and make their name cause fear like Nintendo does.

CSE2 is dead; Long live CSE2.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:28 AM
War criminal
CSE2 is dead; Long live CSE2.
There are already talks about getting all this shit sorted out. Here's hoping that CSE2 will be seen as legal again.

This, unless overturned, does mark the permanent death of the CS modding community as we know it, reverting it back to Assembly code, trojan sound.dll files, and going back to the roots of x86 assembly.
So about the 20 ASM hacks that you've made, people have reported bugs on, but you haven't bothered with fixing... When will those be fixed, Tyrone? I mean, BLink?

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:37 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
This, unless overturned, does mark the permanent death of the CS modding community
This feels a bit like overblown doomsaying, I'm sure there were still a handful of people that'd opt for modding the original game and I doubt everyone hates the idea of modding that again just because they tasted cse2.

Nov 24, 2020 at 9:02 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
For the record, the maintainers of the most important CSE2 branches are working on a plan of action to restore the project. I'm pretty hopeful that things will go well, and all will be back to normal in no time.

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:59 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
the maintainers of the most important CSE2 branches are working on a plan of action to restore the project
That will only work out if you can somehow get Nicalis to give up their copyright to the source code. So yeah, good luck with that.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:37 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Mind spilling the beans so those of us who've been avoiding the Discord servers can get in the know?
I still wanted to mess around with cse2 because bio told me that someone made a proper bat file to compile with.

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:11 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It really is a shame though.
I guess we'll see what happens from here.