CS 3D lazy errors

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well i'm a little mad at nicalas right now.
I was playing CS 3D and I was in santa's house when I released that the save block and heart restore block weren't in the right places on the map system. :mad: All it would of taken was a few people to check the game for errors.
If you have noticed any other really lazy mistakes in CS 3D post them here.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Not to rain on your parade, but to me, as long as it doesn't interfere with the gameplay, then I personally don't care. Although, there is one glitch you can use to your advantage if you don't know about it already. Here's the link-->http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/4335/

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Nicalis's goal wasn't to recreate Cave Story tile for tile. There are probably several differences, none of which affect the game at all. It really doesn't matter where in Santa's house the save health is.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Ports tend to be glitchy glitchy. But then again, design issues like this are unprofessional.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:15 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Nicalis's goal wasn't to recreate Cave Story tile for tile. There are probably several differences, none of which affect the game at all. It really doesn't matter where in Santa's house the save health is.
Yeah, but the map system reflects the normal arrangement instead of the 3D one.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Been here way too long...
Oh dear.

EDIT: I guess I'm at the point where everything I say sounds sarcastic. OH WELL!

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:10 AM
Not anymore
CptFab is able to be not sarcastic??

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:45 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Errors made because they were lazy? Just post a picture of the whole game and we'll get the picture.

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
It's strange that this is even possible, considering that (AFAIK) maps are drawn directly from the mapdata itself

Given that the game is in 3D though, the mapdata is probably in a different format, and thus might not be the same as it was in the original game. Also I didn't know that the map item showed the save or health refills (I never used that thing...).

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Not anymore
Okay, in the regular Cave Story, pretty much nobody uses the map system because...

1. Everyone uses LCD screens which can show you where hidden tiles are (barely).
2. GPS system? LOLWUT?

Also, I have not seen a single mod use the map system except for Jenka's Nightmare (the original) and my first mod.
In mods, most people want to replace the map system with a different functionality, such as switching the color of the portal gun.

But even for a 3D game, that 3D game is made of tiles, and those tiles have to be read from a 2 dimensional map data file. CS3D has 3D graphics, but there is no depth beyond 1 square cube of depth, so it's really just a 2D platformer.

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
It is a 2D platformer in terms of movement, but there is no practical method of translating 3d models to 2d tiles for a map system. You would need to either create an invisible 2d tiled overlay and use that to generate the map (and likely hitboxes as well), or create an independent map and calculate your position upon it. I'm guessing it's the former personally. Either way the visuals don't directly determine what the map actually says.

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:31 AM
Not anymore
I thought that was how CS3D was actually set up.

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:08 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I have found in mods and even in cave story the map system to be incredibly useful.
Just to know how big a corridor is and what to expect. If Im stuck its a good way to figure out
how to proceed. Especially with modders who just lazily stick the map system in and then try to put in secrets.
Im not just talking about invisible tiles either.