Creating Boss Fights

Jun 19, 2006 at 5:59 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I'm talking about the intel x86 architecture, I can't recall the line of chips, but they were made with a couple of 24-bit registers.

Jun 19, 2006 at 6:26 AM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Must've been old then. Intel has been 32bit since the 386, back in the mid '80s. Are you sure you don't mean the external address bus? Those, back in the days of the 386, were indeed 24bit. Hardware's not my forte though, so I suppose some rogue 24bit data bus could've slipped into one of the earlier 32bit chipsets. >"<

Kinda off-topic, but hey. ;)

Jun 19, 2006 at 11:53 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Um...
Okay, I know some software stuff, but you guys got into hardware and totally lost me.
Can someone summarize that for me in layman's terms and tell me what this means for me as a very green hacker (or, in any case, as a person who wants to read a file in hex code).

Jun 20, 2006 at 12:59 AM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Nothing much, really. Mainly that you're more likely to find data as 1, 2, or 4 bytes, but also that finding data packed in 3 bytes is not impossible. Just a little less likely. ;)

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:45 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Ok. That helped. By the way,
Daka no Oni said:
So after you set the 0x200 flag, how do you... get rid of the entity after it "dies?" With an event? If yes, how do you call an event like that?
Can someone answer the question I asked earlier (yeah, I quoted myself).

Jun 21, 2006 at 7:52 PM
"Huzzah!"
the 0x200 flag makes it so the sprites event will run apon the sprites defeat

make it so the sprites event causes it's death

Jun 21, 2006 at 9:15 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Assuming you have an entity that actually works with the 0x0200 flag, when it hits 0 HP, it calls the event number assigned to it.

In the script for that event, you either need to use <ANP to run the sprite's death animation (if you know it), use <CNP to turn it into a different non-enemy sprite, or use <DNP to just make it go away.

Jun 21, 2006 at 9:53 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
RuneLancer said:
Must've been old then. Intel has been 32bit since the 386, back in the mid '80s. Are you sure you don't mean the external address bus? Those, back in the days of the 386, were indeed 24bit. Hardware's not my forte though, so I suppose some rogue 24bit data bus could've slipped into one of the earlier 32bit chipsets. >"<

Kinda off-topic, but hey. ;)
I think it may have had something to do with MMX and 24 bit color.

Jun 22, 2006 at 4:18 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
On the subject of making boss fights work... Is there anything special about Monster-X? I just want a door that plops you right into the Monster-X fight. My first attempt just was just a regular <TRA command that send you on top of the hit trigger that starts the fight. Can someone help me out here?

Edit: Never mind got it working with some with some good old school trial and error.