Could y'all test something for me?

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:24 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I'm programming a Cave Story related game in Java and I noticed that on my computer, playing the midi music files using winamp makes the percussion tracks not work (i.e. it just comes out as random piano notes) but when I write a Java program to play the midi files, the percussion works fine. I really only care about whether or not it works with the Java program. It does on my computer, but I want to make sure it works on other people's computers too. If it doesn't, I'd much rather find out NOW than after I've already written a few thousand lines of code for the game.

I'm also want to make sure nobody has any trouble running Java programs. Java creates *.jar files instead of *.exe files because, while *.exe files can only run on a Windows computer, *.jar files can run on any computer that has a Java Virtual Machine (which is basically all modern computers regardless of operating system). So yeah, just make sure there are no problems there.

Here is a zip file containing the midi music I have made so far for the game and the file "midi player.jar". You should be able to just double click on the midi player.jar file and it will open a window with a list of the songs. Let me know if the program doesn't work, or if the percussion doesn't work.

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:35 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
And what do we have here...?

Huh, the few music files I tried work fine on both Winamp and the Java program.
Maybe you're just missing a plugin or something...?

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:36 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Maybe, but like I said the Java program's all I really care about. Anyways thanks for testing.

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:39 AM
Been here way too long...
same with me. the jar works perfectly tho

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:40 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Works fine for me.

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:50 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
It works, but it'd be really cool if you didn't use midis I think ):.

</3 midi

[Edit]: You should also go listen to the ORIGNAL version of putrid, Putrid NES. It's awesomeness is awesome. http://www.myspace.com/elkteeth1