Converting .org files to .mp3/.whatever

May 12, 2009 at 11:04 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
andwhyisit said:
You can record all sounds playing on your computer as wav and convert to mp3.
1. Go to "Volume Control" (double click on the speaker icon which is one of the icons next to the time on your computer or look in one of the folders under Programs>Accessories in your start menu).
2. Go to Options>Properties.
3. Change your volume options to recording check all tickboxes, press ok and unmute everything except for microphone.
4. Open Sound Recorder (same place in the start menu as Volume Control)
5. Get your preferred org player ready (or anything that plays music)
6. Hit record on Sound Recorder and quickly play your music.
7. When the track ends, or in org's case loops, hit the stop button.
8. Save recording as wav format
9. Use the wave editor that comes with nero or some freeware one to clean up the gap before the track started and to and a fadeout for the looped over section
10. either save as mp3 format or convert it with the near endless number of converters there are on the internet.
11. Use winamp to add the ID3 tags.

Then again you could always just ask me to do it for you. :(

Okay I've done all this correctly up to 7 but when I try and play it back there's no sound recorded. Are there any settings I need to change in the program itself? The only kind of microphone I can think of that I have in the house is a skype headphone so maybe that won't really do.

May 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Uncy Dave said:
Okay I've done all this correctly up to 7 but when I try and play it back there's no sound recorded. Are there any settings I need to change in the program itself? The only kind of microphone I can think of that I have in the house is a skype headphone so maybe that won't really do.
I guess I explained the recording controls step badly. Lets try this again. Under your recording controls choose either Stereo Mix or Mono Out or whatever and make sure that everything else is unselected.

Line In is where music is sent to your computer from an external device. You do not need it.
CD Player is for music CDs. You do not need it.
Microphone is for recording sound through a microphone. Put that thing away because you definitely do not need it.

If any of the above three are selected then there is your culprit.

If Stereo Mix is missing:
To get Stereo Mix back in Vista...

* Right-click on the speaker icon on the system tray
* Select "Recording Devices"
* In the resulting dialog,ensure that the "Recording" tab is selected
* In the middle of the dialog, right click on the empty area and select "Show Disabled Devices". The Stereo Mix device will be selected.
* Right click on the Stereo Mix device and select "Enable".

You may have to reboot, but you will now have your precious Stereo Mix back.

May 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Okay sorry for the lack of response.
In my recording controls, Stereo Mix IS missing which could be the problem.
So I've looked at the stereo Mix thing and when I click on the sound icon, there is no Recording device options, just Open Volume control and Adjust Audio properties. I'm just about to give up cause It's a little frustrating cause I've tried to download programs that say they record sound from your computer when it turns out, it's just a program that makes a mp3 or wav file from the sound recorded with your sound card. I couldn't find any solutions so I decided to ask here.