CONFIRMED: King ate red flowers and survived

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
A new fact about King which was not stated in Cave Story surfaced in Pixel's BBS:

"> Why does King have red/pink eyes?
by red flower."

"> Hey pixel.
> How did king survived the red flower and not dissapear like toroko?
He may have cooked it.." *

The question for theories is: why did King cooked a red flower? I think he wanted to get stronger to fight the Red Deamon. I don't think it was curiosity. Maybe someone put that into his soup malevolently?

Reference: http://hpcgi2.nifty.com/rochet/bbs/bbs0003.cgi

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Someone did very good research on the subject and posted an image, heres what i recall them saying:
King's eyes are light pink, and he is sometimes aggressive, but he's completely sane, while igor (the mimiga in the egg corridor)'s eyes are pinkish, and he attack's, but he's doing it because he doesn't want you going near the egg's hes protecting, which means he's still somewhat sane, while enraged toroko, who's eyes are fully red, just goe's crazy and attacks without any reason to do so. and also all the enraged mimiga's eyes turn cat-like for some reason.
So that means that king probably just ate a tiny bit of a red flower, but the question at hand is why he did it.

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:11 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
liammillay said:
So that means that king probably just ate a tiny bit of a red flower, but the question at hand is why he did it.
For power? Well at least, the Red Flowers might be some enormous power source (like those power drugs morphine, steroids, etc). King might have eaten a bit to test how it feels like.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Cave Story was secretly an anti-drug PSA all along

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:04 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You know, I think that there is a thread just like this one somewhere and it has many replys
•••• anyway he probably ate a bit of 1 (cause: aruthur got killed by the doctor.effect: king ate a bit of the red flower because he thought he had to be the strong one in the village )

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Hey, we haven't looked hard enough, the answer is in the BBS:

> was King effected by the red flowers? if so what did they do?
for the power.

I understand that King wanted power after all, so he cooked some red flowers that turned his eye red. Sue even calls him "creep-eyed freak" in the game.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:47 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Maybe cooking the flowers (like Pixel said) gets rid of the stuff that makes you crazy, but keeps the stuff that makes you powerful.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:23 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
minerguy667 said:
Maybe cooking the flowers (like Pixel said) gets rid of the stuff that makes you crazy
Except red eyes you might want to add. :p

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:27 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I don't know if I should mix and match here, but I'll do it after I get my thoughts of the original out of the way.
I think that King must have cooked a red flower, but because the way the flower works, it kept some distinguishing marks. (light pink eyes, possibly the scar is a clue)
Also, we can't forget what the red crystal did. (Dialogue here talking about the red flowers)
"Administering red flowers to a Mimiga causes it to fly into a violent rage... The reason for this, in fact, is quite simple. The flowers contain not only a substance to draw out one's latent powers, but also one to crush one's very faculties of reason..."
My guess is, that cooking still draws out the latent powers, but manages to keep "faculties of reason" intact.
Mix-and-Match time:
Using King: Strife and Sacrifice (A.K.A. King's story) by Noxid and my own judgement, The Cthulu prepare a red flower with their magic, which gives King strength, but manages to keep him the same. It can interfere with what Daisuke Amaya said with King cooking the red flower, but it could also go with it.
Aside from that, I (me personally) like to assume that King had pink-ish eyes the entire time. (Most Mimiga having white or black eyes kind of disturbs me. Humans can have a variety of eye colors)

Jan 1, 2013 at 2:40 AM
For the pink eye part, maybe King's albino? Albino rabbits have pink eyes, and rabbits are like Mimigas.

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:18 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
minerguy667 said:
For the pink eye part, maybe King's albino? Albino rabbits have pink eyes, and rabbits are like Mimigas.
That makes sense. But still, it's a bit freaky.

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So here's an idea from my own theory and combining other peoples theories
-King was a villager of mimigami village
-When the robots attacked during the war he hid in Arthur's house
-He was trapped on the bottom level of the house by a group of robots who were on the top level, thats when he notices the rose petals
-He boils them in that body of water underneath the house (this would explain the pool of water in the house)
-Robots find him but cant cross the water since they will drown
-King eats the boiled petal and becomes enraged (but not enough to transform him into a rabid mimi)
-King fights off robots, but during the fight he is struck in the face (this is his scar)
-King defeats the robots and disposes of their parts
-After the flowers effects wear down his eyes turn a pink color since their eyes turn red when they're enraged (when the doctor used the red crystal he turned red because he had full concentrated flower energy in him. Igor had pink eyes himself, showing that he only had a small or boiled amount, which would explain why he could talk still)

Thats about it

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:55 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Makes sense, mostly.
- How did he boil the flowers without a source of heat?
- How did he know the flowers would give him strength?
- How do we know what is a significant amount of red flower intake for a mimiga to become rabid? Toroko is shown being force-fed, but right after, King runs in. It doesn't seem like Balrog had much time to administer a very high dosage.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
MagicDoors said:
Makes sense, mostly.
- How did he boil the flowers without a source of heat?
- How did he know the flowers would give him strength?
- How do we know what is a significant amount of red flower intake for a mimiga to become rabid? Toroko is shown being force-fed, but right after, King runs in. It doesn't seem like Balrog had much time to administer a very high dosage.
1. The house couldve had a panel of some sort to boil it that we simply dont see :/
2. During the war mimigami used the flowers for strength according to the game, he mustve of saw another mimi use it
3. Yeah, that one I think was just luck or unboiled petals contain more power then boiled ones

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:52 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Found this on the link you gave us:
"> How did king live after eating red flower?

he is tolerant of red flower."

May 20, 2016 at 12:22 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I think I posted a similar thread about this before. I agree that it could be that he gains the strength with no drawbacks by boiling the petals, but perhaps he now acts on instinct more (not trusting Sue, heading to Sand Zone to save Toroko, etc.).

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:02 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
but perhaps he now acts on instinct more (not trusting Sue, heading to Sand Zone to save Toroko, etc.).

Either way it resulted in his death. How cruely ironic. Maybe Cave Story IS an anti-drug PSA. Heheh.

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:53 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
The doctor didn't have the flowers until after the Sand Zone incident.