Con Story Early demo release!

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
My new game! More importantly MY FIRST GAME!!
Up to date demo
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xw04eky990jyic2/Dn_Ex0LMcd

Story
Connor is at his first day of school
when someone attacks his school and
attacks him. Luckily he survives but is
in a whole new world!(Note: In
the demo it only gets to when something
attacks you.

V.01
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xw04eky990jyic2/Dn_Ex0LMcd

Sorry, No screenshots..
How to download:
1. click link below.
2. on the top right corner there is a download button.
3. click the download button and choose how you want to download it.
4. play with care

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

Hmm, let's see.

- In the intro, one of the NPCs uses the wrong spritesheet so the NPC looks like a whole bunch of sprites from guest.pbm.

- The message box hurts my eyes.

- The save point looks a little trippy.

- The door and bed sprites are a bit messed up.

- The background for the outside map has a weird outline around the clouds and it could use some work.

- The ground for the outside map is made of slopes, so you have to keep jumping to move to the right.

- There are no borders for the outside map; if you walk off, you fall forever.

- Misery talks to herself.

- The PE teacher keeps giving you the Blade every time you talk to her. Also the Blade has 0/0 ammo.

- When you get "grabbed by the neck", you should probably leave out the <FAI so it looks a little better. That's just my personal opinion.

- That title screen track is actually pretty good. I stayed on the title screen for a while just to listen to it.

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM
for me It ran slow, but I did get a chuckle out of it so its good. :awesomeface:

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I thought it would be worse, since you seemed like sort of a newb from your old posts, but its an ok mod so far.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:28 PM
thanks! How do you like the storyline?

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Its ok.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:41 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
- Returning to the first map via the door you are teleported ouside of the map and drown.
- The bed says +HP but it doesn't heal (first map).
- The doors have traces of blue on them.
- Door to nowhere in the classroom.
- I found the background to be quite jarring sooo...

http://www.mediafire.com/?u1kxb71dqa73t45
bksun_zpsbdf5804f.gif

EDIT: I permit anyone to use this if they want to btw. Go nuts.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:13 AM
Professional Whatever
My god that's beautiful.

Oh I also forgot to mention that talking to some of the doors lets you view events from a completely unrelated mod.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Uh...

- Who cut Connor's throat? It looks like a green line did... which would look weird... right?
- You may get the sword as many times as you wish.
- Misery replies to herself... (I laughed so hard when she was completely ignoring Connor)
- You forgot to close a message box and wrote something too long for one line. (It just shows up as an empty message box)
- The danger music plays for a second before the next cutscene.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I should also note that the story feels rushed.

Good Morning, terminal, terminal, terminal, welcome to an empty school, monsters, blade from stranger, invisible man attack!

You seem to have an idea of how you want it to play out in your head but you are taking shortcuts in translating that story to a mod.

My suggestions:
Add students, use a h/v trigger to start the class dialogue from misery and <FAO / <FAI until the class is finished (have her say something like "..and that's the end of today's lessons."), fill the town with NPCs and use them to flesh out your character. Friends, family, neighbours, they need to be accounted for. Might be best to return to school the next day to find it overrun with monsters and a student outside to explain the situation, and ask the protagonist to help because someone is still stuck inside. Add chairs. Add a blackboard. Make that classroom not so long. Fill those houses with more NPCs. Curly should say "Good morning! Better hurry or you'll miss school." and say "Have you forgotten where your school is? It's the building three doors down." if you talk to her a second time. Also make your house and the school look different from the other buildings. This gives the player direction. Transition to the next day via the bed. Curly should indicate that it's been a long day and you should get some rest as soon as you walk in the door and Misery should indicate that you need to go home after class.

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:07 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Reading the title I thought it was Con Air Story.

I am disappointed.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I updated it and now it is way better! Tell me the problems for the game please!

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Professional Whatever
So.

- You need to use <FAO when exiting maps and <FAI when entering maps. They make the screen fade.
- The bed still doesn't work.
- Some of the maps' tiles are quite repetitive, especially the room that Misery is in.
- The save point continues to be psychedelic.
- Toroko repeats Misery's dialogue (and also gives you a blade with 9999 ammo when the blade doesn't even use up ammo).
- Both students in the school have the exact same dialogue.
- In the "house" map, you can fall into abyss forever. Also those spikes are a tease and also sideways.

But yes, it is better now. Keep at it.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Finished playing, well I fell through the floor and gave up...

• There should be fades when leaving and entering rooms, the current jump is very abrupt and weird.
  • The bed in the first room, your house, does not work.
  • All the text has been displayed weird, sentences go on to new lines on the text box even though there is space that can be filled on the current line.
  • Your house is bigger than it needs to be, make the map size 21x16, currently I can look around and the camera will move, even though the actual playable space is small enough to fit in a 21x16 map which would give it a fixed camera, and look much better.
  • When you leave your house there is a long pause before you can actually move.
  • You can walk off the left-side of the map when you leave your house.
  • The tiles and maps are pretty plain and not very nice to look at, I suggest a wider range of tiles and more interesting layouts.
  • Sue's text has no face picture on the "Hi!" but all her other bits of text do.
  • When I accept her race she just stands there and repeats the text if I talk to her again, she doesn't actually move or race. If this is because this has not been added yet then you should make the player aware of that by having Sue say "This feature has not been added yet." This makes it easier for the player to give criticism because they can tell what is a glitch and what hasn't been added.
  • When entering the school you spawn in the air instead of at the door.
  • You cannot leave the school, don't know if intentional or not, if it is then make the player aware by adding a text box saying. "The door is locked.".
  • The map design is not very good everything looks like an almost random placement of tiles, you should give your structures form and think, why would this be here, this will give your structures and maps a better look.
  • After this I think I broke the game, here is what happened.

I spoke to Misery then entered the Gym, I wanted to go back out to see if I missed anything so I left the Gym. The door texture then vanished and I spawned in a new area called the Hall, a text box started saying stuff that made no sense considering the context. Then the text box started making the scrolling text noise but nothing was appearing. After this I was teleported to an area called the House, there a weird cat talked to me and also said stuff that made no sense. I went through the map, which was also just a placement of random tiles, and fell down a pit, got hit by sideways spikes and fell out the map boundaries...

This mod needs quite a bit of tweaking, mainly on the technical side, but the concept seems pretty interesting. I would keep working on it because one you iron out these bugs you will have a fairly descent mod here.
Keep working and good luck!

May 20, 2022 at 9:29 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I can't access the Fadoink account but I figured posting on the original thread would be the best idea.

After 9 long years, it is finally finished. I quit my job, sold my kidney, and worked countless years to ensure that this would be the #1 game in the entire world. It's not just a mod, it's a lifestyle.

CON STORY V1.0 RELEASE

SCREENSHOTS:
Capture.PNG

And a message...
I hope in the first ten seconds of playing the mod you can realize this is a joke. This took roughly five hours to make, and you can beat it in less than a minute. I just thought it would be fun to throw something stupid together haha. I haven't been on the forums for a long time and it’s crazy that a game that came out in 2004 still has a (semi) active community. That just proves how impactful Cave Story really was to so many people… I might release a couple of updates with different endings to the game but as of right now, I’m just going to leave it here for a while.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 12:52 AM
Based Member
Oh hey, I remember you. If you really wanted to access your old account, you could probably ask DT or Andwhy to help you out. Might check out your new release just for giggles.