Chie's Story (some opinions before I begin)

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:47 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
For some time ago, I got the idea to make a Cave Story mod (with cave editor) in which you got to play the game with the Fireball only. That idea has morphed in my mind, and I've eventually come up with the following draft:

After the happenings in Cave Story (let´s go with the best ending) the mimigas are back and rebuilding the island. Now, both the treaths of the red flowers and the demon crown are gone, so everybody thinks that there's finally be peace. But a bad person shows up, planning to take over the world with... the red spikes that deal 127 damage. Cultivating and evolving them, they would be the ultimate weapon, blah blah blah.

The mod would use pretty many rooms from Cave Story in their original forms, but I'd probably add a few new areas, like an extension of the Egg Corridor and more of Grasstown. Well, I'd add a place called Grasstown since I'd had to go with the official Bushlands.

As for weapons, my original plan would be only the "Fireball 2.0", simply the Fireball. But I've pondered that subject a ton. My second and third alternatives would be adding, respectively, the Snake and the Machine Gun. Perhaps also King's old Blade would find its way into the mod, I think I could do a pretty sad and feeling-inducing cutscene with it. Nemesis and Spur are out of the question, anyway. And I don't think I'd include Polar Star or Missile Launcher either. But I'm not totally against it.

The working name of my planned mod would be "Chie's Story: Cave Story 2". Very subjective. From the beginning, I had planned that the protagonist of the game would be Santa, but for various reasons (e.g. the facepic that's my avatar, and the fact that I like the name "Chie" I had planned to change that.) I'd change the set of facepics in the PBM (if possible even expand it to give every NPC a face! ^_^) to add that one (no more silent protagonists!), too. And of course, Quote, Balrog, Ballos, Curly, Toroko, King or the Doctor wouldn't show up, either. But Booster was left on the island... hey, I didn't think about that earlier... hmm... might do something about that line of the plot.

Now, since I don't want to produce or procure things people don't like, I would like to hear a few opinions before I start...

Does what I have told you sound like a good idea?
Would the ga... mod be too tedious with only the Fireball as a weapon, and which weapons would be the best to add to balance? (Oh, and of course I can and will edit the PBMs to be a little creative '_')

I have some plans about editing PBMs so that bosses can be fought with other names and looks, which e.g. Jenka's Nightmare did (even though it´s easy to realise what´s what for a true DM fan)... since I know nothing about hacking and all that. But I know how to use Cave Editor.

I hope this does not break any rules since the mod's not in progress yet... I am sincerly sorry if so.

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:14 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Eh... personally i think that writing out the story before any demo is ready for release is kind of a bad idea...

Should put massive spoilertag over it at least :x

Btw nice idea :D

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:37 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yal said:
I hope this does not break any rules since the mod's not in progress yet... I am sincerly sorry if so.

It does break the rules.
Because that's what were afraid of:

Yal said:
since the mod's not in progress yet...

If everyone post his/her mod idea, we got more mod ideas than actually mods who contain a demo.

~ Locked ~

Edit: Plus, this is a section for mods, not for mod ideas.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
OK, this topic has been revived by, apparently, DoubleThink, and moved to the right section.

Progress since last post:
- CaveEditor keeps screwing up my choice of tileset for one level area so that it changes back to the previous one.
- I've stopped working on the mod since progress in Game Maker goes faster.
- The idea of using an "OilGun" (Fireball with fireballs vanishing once they touch ground) was carried over to Final Columbus.