"Cheats" in Mac version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2005 at 7:51 AM
Jyri Erik
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
Okay, I admit that my hand-eye coordination stinks, so I decided to try one of the "cheat" game save to get past the tank in the labyrinth. However, the Mac version saves games differently than the PC version, so...Any recommendations on how to survive that tank??

Jyri

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:17 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hmm, my friend got the Windows version on his Mac, he said it would probably work, if not, he had a Legal Emulator (allows windows on mac). Try getting a emulator (NOT RECOMMENDED) or playing the windows version.

You are exactly like me. I cheated to get past the tank, but I had lots of glitches, so I beat it fair. How:

All weapons (bubbler, fireball, machine gun, blade, missile1) are level 3, except missile.
I sit on his "tire" and kinda go with the flow. When he stops, I get the Machine Gun and blast the four paws. Repeat till paws are gone.

Then I pull out the Blade and throw tons at the tank, and we all know level 3 DOMS. He gets about 200 dmg per hit. If my Blade hits lvl 2, I hit him a little more and switch to Machine Gun. If all hope is lost, retreat, kill the homing missiles for EXP and life. If it is too desperate, use Missiles or Bubbler.

Whoa, my grammer is WAY wrong!

Hope it helps!

---
blankpika-0-0-7

Sep 12, 2005 at 4:13 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I would do roughly that: stand on one tyre until he reached one end of the arena and then jump to the other. All the time shooting the level 3 blade left and right to kill the fish. When he stopped, i would stand between the two tyres and fire upwards with the level 3 blade, this kills him pretty fast and defends you from the fish at the sides.

Sep 13, 2005 at 3:53 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hmm...looking back at my previous post makes me want to cry...such a n00b was I....

Oct 3, 2005 at 9:15 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I've perfected my technique on the tank. First of all, kill all of the cockroaches until the very end of the room. Then, jump back and forth between the wheels until the car stops. Using the blade, stand in between the wheels and fire upwards. You should gain enough triangles and hearts to make up for any hits you take. When all of the armour of the tank is out of the way and it starts firing missiles at you, do the same thing, except while you jump from wheel to wheel you'll need to be killing the missiles too.

If you have been hit and knocked down to level 2 or 1 on the blade, simply jump up and down while you're hitting the tank's main body. Remember that there can only be one blade onscreen at a time; if you jump to get closer to the tank's body as you're firing, you'll have no lag time in between your last blade and your next blade.

Jan 7, 2006 at 8:54 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
the Mac version saves games differently than the PC version

If you're curious about how the mac version saves, I figured that one out. It puts everything including game settings into a P-list file, otherwise known as a preference file. It certainly helps if you have the plist editor for the mac, since it's just a real pain to edit preferences without them. Essentially everything is in xml, but if you look in the file there's a tag for "Profile.dat" What that means is that Cave Story will still read this file, and that's where the save info goes.

The location of this file is:
<Your user folder>:Library:preferences:com.nakiwo.Doukutsu.plist

I haven't tried it yet, but there's a strong possibility that you can stuff the windows Profile.dat into this file under that xml tag.

If you just want to keep your progress, making copies of the com.nakiwo.Doukutsu.plist should have the same effect as copying Profile.dat.

If you need the plist editor, it comes with XCode tools. Look for an install disc, or an installer on your harddrive for it.

Hope I was able to help.

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:42 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm on a mac and I'll try that, thanks FennecusK. Don't you need admin priviliges to mess around with stuff in the library though?

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:37 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Or you could get your missiles up to level 3 MAX, and Blast the living daylights out of him :). The tire works, but jump around on them both.

But yeah, anyone know how to get the PC saved games up on a mac? Many thanks if you can.

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:41 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Jun 11, 2010 at 3:41 AM
Been here way too long...
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
it's like I'm really posting in 2006...

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:09 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I had trouble beating Monster X when I was 11...I would literally scream at the screen. When you're fighting him, never stop moving. The paws won't hit you then.

Status
Not open for further replies.