cheating

Aug 21, 2006 at 2:58 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
i already beat the game and now i want to sort of explore and get some of the items i didnt get last time and etc...

I downloaded the cheat guide and .cht file from the main tribute site and got Tsearch, but im confused on what to do. the file that explains it is pretty vague if your not used to doing things like this.

Anyways, how exactly do i use the codes? also, is a code permanently applied to a profile or can i just use them whenever and then turn them off(for example having invincibility makes the game no fun but its nice for fighting bosses)

Aug 21, 2006 at 2:27 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Uh, there really aren't proper cheat codes to Cave Story. You can do things like edit profile.dat to grant more health or ammo, but that's not the easiest.

You could swap profiles to turn the cheats on or off, but they'd use seperate savepoints.

How far have you gone in the game? Tell us how it ended for you.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:11 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I posted in the hacking section a thread on activating the debug modes - it might be worth a try. I'm curious what saving mid-boss fight would be like. ;)

Aside from that, you could use Sue's Workshop to add health restoration points in boss rooms.

Aug 21, 2006 at 5:55 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
well i thought i could use this stuff:

http://www.gameflaws.com/cavestory/cave story cheats.zip

when you open the process and load the .cht file it gives you a list of things you can do. However, im not sure what to do after that because the readme/help isnt very detailed

And right now i am at the Labyrinth Core boss fight. I am trying to get the alt ending so i dont have the booster v0.8 and i am able to get the tow rope.

Aug 21, 2006 at 6:08 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You should see the normal ending too, its the orignal ending of Cave Story!

Aug 21, 2006 at 6:12 PM
The Bartender
You should attempt to complete the game without cheating, then. It's far more rewarding (especially going through Hell - the sheer tension of coming within seconds of beating your best score is exhilerating :D )

Aside from that, a quick hack to avoid ever losing health is quite easy with a wee nip of assembly. And various tools exist to search in RAM for values, too, which could have the same effect (most of them let you lock the value in place so that it can't ever change; ie, health.)

Aug 21, 2006 at 6:14 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You should see the normal ending too, its the orignal ending of Cave Story!

i have. i just beat it and i dont feel like playing through it again to see the other ending.

Aug 21, 2006 at 6:18 PM
The Bartender
It's actually very different the second time around. You'll face different challenges and have to adopt different strategies (not having the machine gun to fly around made it a real pain at some points.)

There's also a completely different final stage (edit: in addition to Hell that is), so it's not the same thing.

Aug 21, 2006 at 7:06 PM
"Huzzah!"
RuneLancer said:
There's also a completely different final stage (edit: in addition to Hell that is), so it's not the same thing.

really what is it?

are you assuming that he flew off with kazuma?

Aug 21, 2006 at 8:20 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
He means "Last Cave (hidden)"

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:34 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
There are three endings, get the booster 0.8 and fly off with Kazuma, get booster 0.8 and beat the doctor, then the most popular ending(booster 2.0 and ballos.)
I think he's done the second ending and is going for the 3rd.

Aug 22, 2006 at 4:28 PM
"Huzzah!"
upthorn said:
He means "Last Cave (hidden)"

oh!

well it's not that different the only thing that's different is the layout design

Aug 22, 2006 at 6:03 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
which is almost completely different, except for the end.

Aug 22, 2006 at 7:00 PM
"Huzzah!"
they use the same tiles the same backround the same enemy's (except for the red demon) & are the same size

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:17 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
And one is 10x more harder because of the layout and the Red Demon and the MiniPresses. The layout makes a hell of a difference. :D

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:46 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well the Hidden one is much easier at the end part, after you beaten the red Demon!

Aug 31, 2006 at 8:47 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Daniel G said:
There are three endings, get the booster 0.8 and fly off with Kazuma, get booster 0.8 and beat the doctor, then the most popular ending(booster 2.0 and ballos.)
I think he's done the second ending and is going for the 3rd.
you can still get the first to with the 2.0 or even the mask(not sure about Kazume ending with the mask) just not the last one

Aug 31, 2006 at 11:45 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
God of Chaos said:
you can still get the first to with the 2.0 or even the mask(not sure about Kazume ending with the mask) just not the last one
True, I didn't think it through hard enough I guess. :)
What happens when you fly off with Kazuma and the miminga mask?