Cheating on a mac?

May 9, 2007 at 9:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I play the mac version of Cave Story and...there's really no other way to put it: I really suck. However, I really enjoy playing. I'd like to remove a great deal of the challenge, as I do with many other games, but "profile.dat" doesn't seem to exist for the mac version of the game and the only other cheating methods I've read about involve windows-only programs. Does anyone know of a way to cheat with the mac version of the game?

May 11, 2007 at 10:02 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I couldn't find anything on Google about hacking the mac version.
Check your preferences folder for the save game. Maybe the profile.dat file is there?
You can just find the preferences file somewhere in your Library and make a copy of it. I did that while mucking about with different endings and weapon loadouts.

May 15, 2007 at 4:12 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks, I'll try it but I used the "find" feature and got nothing, according to find I have no files named profile.dat on my computer.

May 18, 2007 at 3:38 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think the filename is "com.nakiwo.Doukutsu.plist", I tried editing the values for health but it had no noticable effect. I may have done it wrong, I was following a guide posted to the cave story tribute site but I've never tried hex editing or anything of the like before.