Characters not showing in simplified Chin version

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi all,

I just discovered this great game and am excited to start playing.
I've got a problem however with the simplified Chinese version, the characters aren't showing in the dialog boxes (they do show at the start of the game)
For example, the first dialog when the game starts looks like this: λÓÚÄ ...etc.

Anyone knows what the problem could be and how to fix it?
(I do have Chinese fonts installed, I browse Chinese sites all the time and never had any problems)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Regards,
Lafsta

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:58 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
*Shrug*

Hmmm....
I can only think of two possible solutions for this, right now...

First, do you know which Chinese fonts you've installed?
There might be a chance that you're missing the exact one that your version of Cave Story uses, you should be able to check what font it is by running the DoConfig.exe {Or, the equivalent translation for that} and it should appear in the highest drop-down box, on the right.
{I'd check myself, but I couldn't navigate the page that the link on the tribute site has for the Chinsese simplified version XD}

Second, since this seems to be an isolated problem, as you couldn't find any one voicing the same thing, you might've just gotten a bad download; have you tried a re-dl?
{Don't worry about losing your saves, though, you can just move the Profile.dat}

But I'm sorta just shooting in the dark here, so I'm not sure if these will work.... :o;

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:20 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions.
The fonts don't seem to be the problem.

I've tried re-downloading already, that also doesn't seem to solve it unfortunately.

I'll keep trying/searching haha ^^

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:48 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I think I know what the problem is. If you're using Windows XP (it might work for other versions), try going to the Language settings under Control Panel, and under the Advanced tab, select... erm... Mine lists regions (Hong Kong, Singapore, etc.) instead of traditional and simplified. Well, see if in the drop-down list "Language for non-Unicode programs", it has Chinese Simplified. If it does, select that; you'l have to restart. It should work.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:44 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Do you have version 1.0.0.7 of Cave Story? Pixel released a patch that I believe was intended to fix the exact problem you're having. I don't know where you might download said version, though, because that was the only change made and not many people have a use for it.
We had a discussion about v1.0.0.7 a while back, try searching the forums (I won't because I'm lazy!).

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:26 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks Jackalope! That worked like a charm, it's finally working correctly now:cool: Time to go and play some :mad:

@Captain Fabulous, thanks for the suggestion, but it's already solved now :D
Appreciate the help. I have version 1.0.0.6 by the way, not sure if there's another version available in Chinese.

Thanks guys!

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:07 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
I think that is because the simplified version doesn't have that problem.

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:15 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
You're welcome. It's a useful fact I stumbled upon; I was hoping for a chance to share it with others. Thank you.

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:50 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Sorry for the late reply,
Was busy playing these days hahah:D

thecrown said:
I think that is because the simplified version doesn't have that problem.

Ahh I see

You're welcome. It's a useful fact I stumbled upon; I was hoping for a chance to share it with others. Thank you.

:)
Just tried this on my laptop with Vista, so can confirm this works for both XP and Vista