CaveStory: Community Project

Jun 9, 2006 at 9:41 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
jeffrey:
While there's nothing wrong with the idea of a community project (in fact, it's a good idea that SeriousFace and I were discussing a while back), you can't just say "Hey we should all do something together" and expect a good game to come of it.

All of the modders here have their own styles (take a look at Grasstown in Jenka's Nightmare, and compare it to Grasstown in SeriousFace's mod).
And if there's not a well-planned, overarcing design to tie it all together, the end result is going to be very disjointed, if it gets finished at all without an ambitious goal.

So, I'm all for a collaborative mod, but we need to have a goal before we start.
Put some thought into what you would want to see come from this, and how you plan to manage the team. When you have a well-formed picture of your answers to both of these questions, then start organizing.

Jun 9, 2006 at 10:52 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I think everyone here is glad to help but like upthorn said about what I said earlier, people have their own designs and ideas. We do need a well planned idea and also I like your second story idea better.

Jun 10, 2006 at 1:13 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I have some story ideas i wanna share, besides that any job needed done i think i can do, still learining to build levels, could maybe compose a song or two with orgmaker, and any media stuff i could handle (cdcovers, isos, torrents)

1. An action rts where you get to play as commander and soldier in the incidents before and leading up to cave story, leading earth's command in the invasion of the island. Simple controls lead around your soldiers, and you can help them by shooting along side them, similar to brothers in arms, battalion wars, or kingdom under fire.

2. An adventure/roleplaying game in the vein of cave story where you play as miza/balrog as they serve under the first master of the demon crown. You must help him by doing fetch quests and such to take over the island.

3.The adventures of arthur the noble warrior (self-explanatory)

Those are just some simple ideas i had that are all very do-able for the most part with the cave story engine.

Jun 10, 2006 at 1:52 AM
Well, i like the second idea, but it will be too hard to do...

Jun 10, 2006 at 1:46 PM
The first idea seems to familiar to Crowned Witch from what I hvae played. You would probably play as Miza because Balrog is too big.

Jun 10, 2006 at 10:21 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Diango, youre right!
But the secound idea is good, i choose Misery, balrogs animation is tOoooooo big!
its not tooo hard, but we must know how to edit weapons, so we can make Miserys Magic!

Jun 10, 2006 at 11:28 PM
That would be awesome! You could shoot lightning bolts at people!(if I could just shoot magic bolts at people in real life, then I wouldn't have to wait in line and I would always get my way) Also We can make it so you have to fight Quote eventually!

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:10 AM
Hoxtilicious
lol yeah, give quote a machine gun and replace curlys animation lol
We could change the Nemesis a bit, so we could make a light bolt or a Lightning Ball of this

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:49 PM
Those black balls that she fires could be snake ammo modded because it is basically the same thing. Maybe we could make it so bubller shoots those red bats and the fire ball shoot out smaller blocks then bigger blocks at higher levels!

Jun 11, 2006 at 3:53 PM
But there's a story issue.

If they're serving the first demon crown owner, then Quote can't be there!

Unless we change it to Miakid....

Jun 11, 2006 at 5:22 PM
Hoxtilicious
Well, we use maikid!
At that moment when curly and quote cam to the island (Lots of ravils!)

Jun 11, 2006 at 11:32 PM
Now, we know what story to use! We should start with the next step, but we will need to edit the pictures so it fits the needs.

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:12 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Y'know, this is sounding pretty cool. I'd be glad to offer my skills, if you wish. I'm no good at scripting, but I'll gladly make sprites.
Do you plan on having killer robots?

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:47 AM
like i said earlier, i think i can do media stuff, as well as help write the story( got plenty of ideas). And also balrog would be an awesome character to play as, just make his control scheme kirby-ish (balrog CAN ingest his enemies, check the first boss fight), he can shoot missles, and just stomp on enemies. Maybe you could have a partner zapping system where you need miza for some things and balrog for others, RE0-esque.

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:00 PM
The partner switching idea would be too difficult because the game has nothing like that in the game and I think you can only mod the game so far. Mapping Balrog's attacks would be hard because you need more than one button. Past all that though, You could make it so "s" becomes the partner switching button, while "a" allows you to switch weapons like in the original Cave Story.