Caved In

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:22 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Isu the Mule said:
Hey GIRakaCHEEZER

I can't get <MYB to to do anything but bump right or left, never up.

isn't
0x0100 - Costum (aka Option 1)
supposed to be
0x0100 - Call event on touch

That's why all the V-triggers in the game use the 0100 flag, even though that specific Entity does it automatically

I told you, im just reading the flags from the tsc.txt (go to the old hyperlink in the last one, im not reposting it again [the tsc.txt is by shining phantom i think btw]), and i assume them to be true unless otherwise stated. If you want to debate the 100 flag, you might as well open a new thread though, but that's what the current tsc.txt reads. And i don't know why every single Vertical trigger in cavestory has flag 100 seeing as it was useless to exist for a vertical trigger.

<MYB will make you hop in place if it is anything other than 0000 or 0002, but I'm not sure it would work in the air.

BTW, seeing as you really need this event to work i suggest posting what you've got so far, what you want it to do, what map it is at, every detail. It would be much easier to help you if you gave us something more tangible.

Oh, and if you get the chance play WTF-story(my mod) :rolleyes: (link is in sig).

Dec 18, 2008 at 6:49 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
The game crashes whenever I try to leave First Cave. No idea why.

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:21 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
GIRakaCHEEZER:
I tried your mod. I was very impressed. Please make more.

Every one else:

In my next mod I'll put a side room with my problem in it so you guys can all try to hack through it. I don't think theirs a solution, but at least you guys can see exactly what I mean instead of just fumbling around in the dark.

Please note the event works, I just don't like how it looks.

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:25 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I think there's a Quote entity you can use to represent the main character. Simply place a dummy entity (of type 0) at the place where you want Quote to start moving up, and when the main char touches that place, use <HMC, and <CNP the dummy entity to a Quote entity and there might be an <ANP to make it go up. If that doesn't work, try looking for an entity that does have a "move up" function and that you don't plan on using later in the mod (Balrog, maybe). Then replace the sprite for that entity with a picture of Quote.

EDIT: I just thought of something. Even if all the entities with a "move up" function are used elsewhere in the mod, there still is a way that you can change their sprite in one location but not in another. Simply make a new spritesheet (maybe "data\npc\npcQuote.pbm") with a picture of Quote in place of a different sprite, like Balrog. Then use that spritesheet in the map where you need the "move up" function, and the normal Balrog spritesheet ("data\npc\npcBllg.pbm") when you want to use the normal Balrog.

Dec 19, 2008 at 1:34 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
The Quote Entity don't work either.

When you replace quote with an entity, there's a jump and it looks stupid. The Quote Entity is really only useful for starting off a map, not finishing it.

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:27 PM
Justin-chan
A <MYB ought to push Quote to the right place. H/V triggers activate the moment your sprite touches it, so you won't land on the exact spot, unless you time a <WAI and <MM0

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:38 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Isu the Mule said:
Question for anyone who knows anything about Mods and stuff.

Is there an event that can be called once you leave the screen via the top. If you put V"H"-trigger there, the event is called before he leaves the screen.

Thanks
Isu are you talking about the hole in egg corridor? You can't place entities off the map.

Edit: But you can get them off the map, and the game still recognizes them. If you want a H/V trigger off the map this is what you do. Place a guadi egg with flag 1000 (this makes it float upward) on the topmost part of the map, where that hole is. When you enter the map include <WAI0020 (this gives the egg time to float 1 square above the hole) then <CNP the egg into a H trigger.

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:04 AM
Thanks for the tip, SeriousFace. I'll try that out later and see if it works.

I was testing my mod and I came up with a weird error. One of those giant GhoatBugs shot a green orb and it combined with a floor blobs. What does it mean?

err5.jpg
err4.jpg
err3.jpg
err2.jpg

Next Mod should be out within the week.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:44 AM
Justin-chan
I dunno what does that mean.

Maybe you didn't set the NPC for the map correctly?

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:54 PM
It's the same map as the original Egg Corridor. I just dragged and copied the monster NPCs.

Whatever it is, I wanna replicate it.

...somehow...