Cave Story Weapon Analyses

May 14, 2010 at 10:16 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
explosive said:
Hey, thanks! So, I'm considereing adding a speed, range, and power * rating at the bottom of each weapon (for example, the sword would look like this)

S: ****
R: *
P: *****

Thoughts?

That's a good idea. You might want to do it for each level of every weapon though, since it varies.

May 17, 2010 at 1:14 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Alright, I added the star rateings for each weapon, and for each individual level.

If you disagree with any of the rateings given, just post why, and what it should be changed to, and I'll probably fix it.
If anyone wants any other features, just ask.

May 17, 2010 at 2:19 AM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The LV1 Bubbler should have the same Speed as the LV3 Nemesis.

Otherwise, though, great job.

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

You have too much time on your hands explosive :D
I was gonna do something like this but I was too lazy.

May 17, 2010 at 2:35 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
sixtyseconds said:
The LV1 Bubbler should have the same Speed as the LV3 Nemesis.

Otherwise, though, great job.

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

You have too much time on your hands explosive :D
I was gonna do something like this but I was too lazy.

Nah level 1 bubbler is really slow, plus it even decelerates. And it's range is lower too (the bubbler's).

Also the first 2 levels of the nemesis have the same speed too, it just doesn't quite look like it since the second level has a smaller bullet.

And the range of the level 3 blade isn't the best, at least strictly length wise. It does cover a large area though.

I think level 3 bubbler is more like 2 star damage, since each one only does 3 if they turn into the bubble-shuriken things.

The fireball should be 4 star damage too, since it does 6 damage per shot (same as machine gun) and is easily spammed.

May 17, 2010 at 2:36 AM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
In his star thingy the ducks are listed as SLOWER than LV1 bubbles. So your post doesn't apply to mine.

May 17, 2010 at 2:40 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
sixtyseconds said:
In his star thingy the ducks are listed as SLOWER than LV1 bubbles. So your post doesn't apply to mine.

Oh well then you're right. Didn't read sorry.

May 17, 2010 at 12:56 PM
Looking on your commentary, guys, I can pretty much agree with everything you posted. The changes you suggested have been put in.

Thanks for the compliment, sixtyseconds! (yeah, I do have to much time on my hands...)

May 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I think Nemesis is worse than the Blade and I regret getting it though I am on sacred grounds. Level 1 blade does 15 damage and has good range anyways (so "all weapons dropped to level 1" is not such of a thing), and level 2 has area of effect and does even more damage fired fast, and level 3 really destroys every little annoying enemy some bosses spam at you.

Also, the bubbles for the bubbler are good at defending you from minor enemies and they can be used in a siege sort of way attacking stuff that cant attack you from inaccessible positions.

May 17, 2010 at 3:29 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
It's really a question on how much XP you give your missiles (which is the main priority). Would you really sacrifice the 'free' XP from B1F to get a Lv3 bubbler in the second room? (Any damage will reset it to Lv2, as well, efficently rendering the usefulness gone).

May 17, 2010 at 4:03 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Maybe, because that way I woudn't have to worry about those kid angel monsters. Dang they just keep killing me xD

But however I would prefer getting to level 3 blade. If it downgrades i just get a level 2 blade that still has area of effect and can really damage bosses, even almost as much as missiles (low range though).

Also to give the XP to missiles from the free falling part, you have to waste missiles to crack the capsules. While with blade you don't lose anything.

Anyways, I'm not saying the Nemesis isn't a useful weapon. I just don't like it. Maybe it is related to the fact I have the machine-gun in this game, and it gets kinda redundant to have two weapons that do basically the same job, while one could have been the blade, which would fit a different niche.

May 17, 2010 at 4:44 PM
It really depends on your style of gameplay.

There are pretty much three different "niches" that can be filled by combinations of the weapons:

"Spammer"
(attack quickly to do as much damage as possible, from a long range)

Machine Gun,
Nemisis,
Super Missiles

"Conservative"
(Keep your distance from enemies, least affected by level down)

Spur,
Nemisis,
Super Missiles

"Neautral"
(attack enemies at a even pace)

Snake,
Blade
Super Missiles

"Close Combat"
(deals as much damage as possible, while sacrificing range)

Snake,
Blade,
Missiles

There are really alot of combinations, each one offers a different style of gameplay for hell.

May 17, 2010 at 4:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Why do you say Super Missles are short range, they have quite good reach and speed.

May 17, 2010 at 5:12 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Noxid said:
Why do you say Super Missles are short range, they have quite good reach and speed.

What are you talking about? He rates it 5 stars for range in all the levels. He just had to put something in that weapon slot for the different weapon combinations he was trying to make (he uses it 3 out of 4 times).

And I think that at the end the regular missiles are just useless due to the lack of firepower, since super missiles do an INCREDIBLE amount of damage.

May 17, 2010 at 5:50 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
explosive said:
"Close Combat"
(deals as much damage as possible, while sacrificing range)

Snake,
Blade,
Super Missiles

Was referencing this, I'd swap Super Missles to "spam" and regular missles to "close combat" since their slowness makes it hard to hit moving targets.

May 17, 2010 at 10:14 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Noxid said:
Was referencing this, I'd swap Super Missles to "spam" and regular missles to "close combat" since their slowness makes it hard to hit moving targets.

Keep in mind it's talking about dealing as much damage as possilbe, and the super missiles (even with 54 compared to 100 regular) do more damage than the regular missiles.