Cave Story Tribute Site Sub-Categories

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:40 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Well I was putting it off, but tonight I actually sat down and managed to handpick each thread of the Cave Story forum and categorize them into 3 separate categories. The original one, the one marked simply as "Cave Story Tribute Site Forum" is basically a general forum for the game. Feel free to talk about whatever you like there related to Cave Story.

The two other forums are basically split between one category called "Rom Editing/Hacking" (rom editing/hacking/modding information and techniques/code, findings, editors) and one other category called "Mods". Mods can have actual threads that link to people's edited games or they can just be a topic about a storyline for one or ideas and brainstorming.

I'd like to try at best to keep this as organized as possible by placing content that deals with individual mods and edited games in the "Mods" category while the more general editing/rom hacking techniques and information discussion being left in the "Rom Editing/Hacking" category. Makes sense? Of course I'm very busy these days and I won't be around to check and move things around too often if things are posted in the wrong category. Managing threads and making sure each of them gets to where they belong is a very tedious process and I'm not going to be monitoring it on a regular basis.

At any rate, I hope that this will make things a bit easier for you all as this forum community for Cave Story has surely grown and the modding scene is growing more and more popular with new things being brought to the table all the time. : )

-SkyeWelse

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:07 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
I just saw you update the forum now Skywelse ;)
Well, u should relocate the threads... ^^

Edit: Please use some of the following :)

Mods
Assembly Hacks (Maybe a Sub for Rom Hacking)
TSC (Maybe a Sub for Rom Hacking)
Music
Game (for questions like "how fast did you cleared hell run" But i think we can these threads also left at Main Tribute site...)
Misc

Maybe u can add this Categories...
:p

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:13 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Very nice. I think it's great the way it is - not too many subcategories, nor too few.

It'll make finding info much easier.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:02 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
I just saw you update the forum now Skywelse :p
Well, u should relocate the threads... ^^

Edit: Please use some of the following :p

Mods
Assembly Hacks (Maybe a Sub for Rom Hacking)
TSC (Maybe a Sub for Rom Hacking)
Music
Game (for questions like "how fast did you cleared hell run" But i think we can these threads also left at Main Tribute site...)
Misc
;)

Hmm, not sure what you are reffering to as I've relocated just about all the threads. It took about 2 hours picking through all of the threads and sorting them one by one into their respective categories. I may have missed a few, such as the Mod: Cave Story Boss Rush that I just saw before reading this, but not too many.

As for the other categories, I don't think I'll be adding more for the time being. The reason is mainly for the simple fact that simple is usually better when it comes to organization. I've run a forum in the past that had far too many sections and subcategories and due to the index of forums to visit being too large, people ended up just being lazy and posting whatever in the general forum anyway or in a forum that was completely unrelated. This makes for several disorganized posts which take extra time and effort to manage, which is not something I have the time for. I might think about adding one eventually for music related posts, but even then, there are ones that are about remixes and there are ones about org maker and there are ones about hacking music and there are ones about making your own music and using it... It would just get jumbled up anyway you look at it.

Very nice. I think it's great the way it is - not too many subcategories, nor too few.

It'll make finding info much easier.

Thanks RuneLancer. I hope this will help make things a bit easier since the Cave Story modding scene as really become rather impressively huge.

-SkyeWelse

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:47 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The way I see it, more subsections wouldn't just make people too lazy to post in the right place, but would add unecessary confusion. Often, a hacking thread on, say, map editing will branch into TSC scripts, or a thread about modifying the ORG format might become a discussion on how the game handles the managing of its audio resources via assembly. So general-purpose sections seem easier to deal with, in my opinion.

Unless the boards become huge in a few months and we end up with a tangle of posts cluttering up the new sections. ;)

Currently though, I don't think the boards are big enough to warrant too many subdivisions. Just my two cents. CS hacking seems to be gaining in popularity indeed, though. :p Which is great.

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:34 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
We Are The Borg. We Must Assimilate More Users.

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:22 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well, maybe there should be a category added for music? I would move the threads.