Cave Story Translations?

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:32 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Maybe we should start a easy Community Projekt, named:

Cave Story Translations

So all i have to say here, Iam German and I want to translate CS into German hmmm... ;) I hope I'am not alone here, cuz with team work its easier to translate...

Aug 4, 2006 at 3:32 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
I only have a very basic understanding of Spanish, sadly. :\

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:54 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Mein deutsh ist nicht gut. ;) I can manage, but not very well.

Still, this is hardly a difficult operation. Just go through every script file and alter the text. A weekend or so and it'd be done. It'd be great if you could create string tables and just link an msg, ms2, or ms3 command to them. Translations would be fairly easy then: just edit the string table, no need to screw around with the scripts.

Good luck man!

Aug 5, 2006 at 3:36 AM
Hoxtilicious
Hmmm, that would be no problem... I see what i can do...

Aug 7, 2006 at 4:11 PM
The Bartender
Er, by that I meant "you" as in "a person who'd want to edit the game," not you specifically. ;) I was saying it'd be so easy if things worked that way, but they don't, unfortunately.

Alllthough... Editing the MS commands to load a string resource and to use the parameter as the string ID wouldn't be TOO hard. >"<

Aug 7, 2006 at 4:34 PM
Hoxtilicious
No no, you make it too hard, you can just make a <EVE command at every text, who leads into the HEAD TSC... Make that for every text, and you have your string table ;)

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:18 PM
Hoxtilicious
Hmm nope, the Head TSC will be buggy if u add values over 1000... Hmm... And the ArmsItem TSC is useless. So there is no other way, you just only can do it with assembly ;)

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:14 PM
The Bartender
Here's an ideal scenario.

1- There's a string table in the EXE res index. String tables being what they are, strings for any language could be added.
2- The MSG-type commands are changed and now take an index instead of a string. Internally, a few API calls are made to retreive the right string from the table.
3- Being a string table, the language would be set automatically to the player's language. Blessed be MS's resource format.

The problem lies in the fact you'd have to edit the executable directly with a resource editor and the strings would be in the exe and no longer the map files. It'd be a bit of a hassle, all things considered.

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:24 PM
Hoxtilicious
Hmm... Or maybe u can edit the MSG command in the EXE and the EXE as itself, that a new TSC is used, named String.tsc ? Like the Head.tsc but it use String 1 string 2 string 3 and so on... Example:
From somewhere, a transmission... (From the Start of the Game)
And then the MSG Command just uses <MSG0001

I don't know if this isn't too hard, but with this u don't need to store the strings in the exe file...

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:27 PM
The Bartender
I like that idea. I'm not sure how easy to rig up it would be though - I'll look into it. It would mean loading the string file at startup and digging into it as necessary - a much bigger hack than meets the eye.

Sounds fun. I'll look into it.

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:33 PM
Hoxtilicious
Cool, if u need some help, i could store the Messages into a TSC... (well i know nothin about assembly...)

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:44 PM
The Bartender
Allright. I'll give it a shot this weekend, when I'll have plenty of time to wrap my head around the file management in CS. ;)