Cave Story: The Other Story

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:07 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
if i get yelled at by the staff for perpetuating arguments or whatever then that's fine, but this is something i cannot back down on
Why? Arguments aren't against the rules. In fact with the exception of personal attacks the rules specifically state that arguments are not against the rules.

Nov 22, 2017 at 3:21 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Alright so to avoid any further drama I will play this mod myself and give my feedback. Please do not refer to this as a review.

• Right off the bat, there's no config.dat file, so the mod would run in full screen, which would usually rustle up some people's jimmies because oh no, they have to open an exe and press two buttons or something. So maybe add one of those.
  • Cave Story's intro. and title screen have remained the same. I'd recommend changing the title screen in some way to add flavor to your mod and appease the very picky community, but it's no necessary.
  • In the start point, the tiles near the lion-door-thing look a bit choppy. I recommend cleaning them up a little bit. Also, Mr. Traveler says it "won't open", but it's not a door. Maybe have him say he can't get through instead?
  • I do like the text for when he gets a life capsule. We need more things like that in these so-called "Cave Story but different" mods, as the community calls them. Heck, he even reacts to the gunsmith!
  • I like the music changes in Mimiga Village. It fits the atmosphere much better, since it's nearly empty.
  • When Mr. Traveler is talking to Toroko, he says "With the Doctor?.", so you should maybe remove the period.
  • Again with the music changes. Geothermal fits much better in the scene with Toroko imo! This is really nice.
  • Mr. Traveler says "Of course i do!". Maybe capitalize that "i".
  • Wait, where's Arthur's grave? Is Arthur not dead!? Could that be why Jack is number three?
  • Yup, just heard King talk about finding him. This could lead to some interesting events.
  • The sparkling item entity stays after you get the key.
  • Alright, it's over.

Over all, its a pretty good start! Far better than my first mod, I'll say that. Really interested to see how some of this turns out, especially with Arthur. I'd also like to see some maps be expanded on, since most mods like this don't usually do that. I hope to see more of this mod in the future, and more of your mods in general!

Nov 22, 2017 at 5:22 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
> Cave Story: The Other Story

At least it isn't "my first mod".

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:24 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
How can I get the mod, and how do I use it? Thanks

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:30 AM
War criminal
Click on the download link, extract the game from the zip folder, and play away my dude

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:30 AM
Okay thx that helped

Hi
I started creating this mod yesterday and here's the first demo. Also that's the first mod i ever created.
It changes the story a little, adds more characters, secrets, locations and weapons.
mod ends at the Arthur's house

-Noxid: Arthur's sprites
-Pixel: Cave Story
Is there a Mac version? I haven’t checked the download yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 24, 2017 at 7:07 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Is there a Mac version? I haven’t checked the download yet.
Porting to Mac is currently cumbersome and restrictive. There are bit depth limitations for images, limitations to the number of maps, and we have no idea as to where the starting event id, map id, and co-ordinates are located (requiring the use of hand-written TSC in the default starting event to fill the gap). Not to mention that there are two different versions of mapdata and weapon data for PowerPC and Intel Macs, both with different byte orders. This all makes porting to Mac cumbersome.

Also ASM hacks have to be manually rewritten for Mac FOR BOTH PPC AND INTEL, which means that any ASM-based mods are unlikely to ever be ported.

All of this means that unless someone specifies that there is a Mac port there generally isn't one. And even if there is plans for a Mac port you can expect it to happen towards the tail end of a mod's development because of how tedious a process it is.

You are better off playing mods through Wine.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 3:08 PM
Porting to Mac is currently cumbersome and restrictive. There are bit depth limitations for images, limitations to the number of maps, and we have no idea as to where the starting event id, map id, and co-ordinates are located (requiring the use of hand-written TSC in the default starting event to fill the gap). Not to mention that there are two different versions of mapdata and weapon data for PowerPC and Intel Macs, both with different byte orders. This allmakes porting to Mac cumbersome.

Also ASM hacks have to be manually rewritten for Mac FOR BOTH PPC AND INTEL, which means that any ASM-based mods are unlikely to ever be ported.

All of this means that unless someone specifies that there is a Mac port there generally isn't one. And even if there is plans for a Mac port you can expect it to happen towards the tail end of a mod's development because of how tedious a process it is.

You are better off playing mods through Wine.

That’s okay because I have wine