Cave Story: The Final Chapter (Beta 1.0)

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
After some pretty hefty hours of development, my first modification of Cave Story has reached playable levels.

Cave Story: The Final Chapter is another fan-made sequel takes place about 20 years after most of the humans and robots have fled the Island. Something is amiss, and our hero is landed back in the Caves and finds the broken remnants of civilization. He stumbles across a corrupt city and a mysterious machine, and finds himself in another fight for his life to save his friends on the island.

Download The Final Chapter here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?576n3t5tvo0fi56

New additions:
  • Healing Servers now can save, reducing how many items are needed at save points and eradicating Save Rooms.
  • Weapons are tiered into Blue, Green and Red tiers.
  • Maps, dialogue, weapons and story are changed.
  • A time traveling device that you don't need to know about right now, as it doesn't work.(Look at the spoiler, for those who are curious).
Current bugs:
  • A couple lines of text are misaligned.
  • Sky Bridge does not have a background
  • A planned, but unused map does not work properly, but you can still access it.
  • Save Disks and Servers are still placed near each other. Redundancy is fun.
  • There are many doors that won't work because a couple maps became corrupt.
If you find any other problems, let me know! Be sure to read the notes included in the .zip to read on every change, and also how to help out!

Now, the Time Traveling device:
The Throwback Machine. It's a pretty major plot point.

Thanks for reading this and downloading the game, the next update will be in a bit! Enjoy!

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

It doesn't feel like a sequel because too many of the original maps are barely modified.

Some issues are that the Map System graphic is displayed for the Life Pot.

You should fix that.

Don't tease the user by putting a life capsule in a place where they can't get back to.

If you frustrate people too much, they will stop playing your mod, unless it's fun frustration like King's Story or WTF Story.

So I would suggest the following for improvements...

1. Change more things. I should not be able to recognize the original maps.

2. Change the sprites and graphics, if you know how to (it seems you do, since the title screen has different sprites).

3. Move the doors around. If you don't know how to do this, look at what Pixel did.

4. Learn how to use flags, and maybe <ANP if you're feeling confident.

And that's about it.

One thing I really like about this mod: No bugs found so far.

Ah, how refreshing after playing so many bug-filled mods. Only the best mods have 0 bugs. Such as GIR's mod, Noxid's fangame, and so forth. Schism has 0 bugs too, or at least very few. Wrath of Rubidium Chloride also keeps the bugs to a minimum.

Keep your mod polished and bug free, and I am sure it will succeed. Good luck. :orangebell:

EDIT: Note - I am still playing this, and might update with more info as I get far into the game. The descriptions in the Readme file sound very interesting. Chaos City? I wonder what that is...

EDIT2: If you want me to make you some Organya files, or remake other songs from other games in ORG, I can help with that. The offer was included in the CStFC Notes.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
==Bugs==
  • You can phase through a wall right of the village save point
  • You randomly get a booster
  • Your damaged at the beginning
  • Egg Corridor critters are insta-kill (intended?)
Fun plot idea (since you requested N's rooms music): After N flew off the Pokemon B/W, he found the island and used Zekrom/Risheraim to destroy it, and he's the final boss.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
minerguy667 said:
  • You randomly get a booster
You get it at the same time you get the *Life Pot* I don't think it is a bug. On that note, when you get the booster, you can go back and get the Life Capsule in the first cave.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I was looking through my files and randomly came across this. Turns out I downloaded it, but never moved it into the correct spot of my computer. Anyway, I played through to the point where I think it ends.
Bugs:
  • Some door's use the door sound, but the door still stays shut. (You still go to where the door is linked, but the door animation isn't there)
  • Item issues (Life pot that says map system, randomly getting the booster, etc.)
  • In Chaos City, if you go in a house/door, (The 2 there is) you can't use the door in the following place to get back. (Using the door to Curly Residence, but then you can't use the door in Curly Residence back to Chaos City)
  • You can fall forever in the Sky Bridge area, you should try and make this a "Death from falling below a certain point" (Like if you jump off the island where Kazuma is and it says "You were never seen again")
  • Getting the chest in the one room where the Sisters are suppose to spawn doesn't make the sisters spawn. Also you get the Missile/Rocket Launcher, but Curly will give you a Missile/Rocket Launcher if you talk to her in her residence in Chaos City.
  • In Egg Corridor?, Some parts of the blocks are changed, so you don't have to go through Cthulu's Abode? or some other areas.
  • The Missile/Rocket Launcher has a green tint to the box its in. Where as the Polar Star doesn't. Whoops, didn't read the additions part. Fail on my part.
  • Some/Most of the doors in Chaos City don't work.
  • This is an opinion, but don't combine the healing and the save together. Some first time players think there's no saves and that would make them freak out a bit (That happened to me)
  • There's some text issues. (Lines would be cut off. "We are the most sophisticated people in the best city of the worl *Line break here* d...")
  • You have two different entrances/doors in Chaos City lead to the same room.
  • When Curly gives you the Missile/Rocket Launcher, which you may or may not have, you can skip the "Item Get" music.
  • Curly tells you after you talk to her that you can reach Grasstown with a building near the Sky Bridge, but there is no building.
Other then that, if this is (Which I assume it is) your first mod, I think you did pretty darn good for beginners. I could be wrong, (There's a lot of easy fixes that you could have made before you released a demo) but I think this is off to a good start.

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Finally catching up on some of these mods.

-I like how you (presumably) start the player off at lowered health so that they're prompted to try out the terminal and see how it's changed
-Speaking of which, the text on the second-last line on the sign explaining said change in the Mimiga village doesn't display correctly. This is because instant-display text will glitch if it tries to scroll. You'll need to fit it in one message box, or add another.
-Same issue with the Life Pot text, as well as the mis-display mentioned earlier in this thread
-It's possible to reactive the Egg Corridor repeatedly
-The save room in the Egg Corridor? still has an old save point in it
-The thrown Mesa blocks flicker between a block and a patch of grass at the moment; you'll need to adjust your tileset accordingly to fix this
-I really like the dialogue in the Chaos City residences, even if I can't escape from them :toroko2:
-Curly 'gives' you the Missile Launcher even if you already have it
-I'm not sure what you're planning with the Booster, but the early areas appear to function fine without it, and there's no way to turn it off after the flag is set.

I like the enemy maps so far, even the edited ones, simple as they are. The low HP gives them a balanced level of initial challenge. Mimiga Village was pretty empty though, and could do with some extra work to make it feel a bit less like a re-tread. Chaos City in particular has me interested, so for now I'll invite you to keep at it before I go any deeper :chin:

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Little bug, nothing much, just the fact that after you enter Curly's room you can't escape... am I doing something wrong?

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:14 AM
But it's persistent where going into a residence traps you as well... it could be that entering a residence is also the end of the demo...