Cave Story Switch Differences.

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:04 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thought I might catalogue all of them so that you guys can make an informed decision about your choice.

1. Differences in the main story/game.
Not a lot here. Some minor things like different locations of plot items and some events happening slightly different from others. A bit easier to get the good ending as some jumps have been made easier.
2.Jukebox.
It's all there and you have 4 music options to choose from, the new soundtrack from Cave Story +. The remastered tracks. The famidisk tracks and the Organaya Tracks.
3.Challenges.
-Machine Gun Challenge.
-Nemesis Challenge (I think???, haven't actually unlocked it. Didn't bother with the Nemesis.)
-Sand Pit which was new to me and very good.
-Wind Fortress.
-Sanctuary Time Attack.
-Boss Rush
-also curly story is a thing.
4. Co-op is going to be patched in at some point apparently. Don't know when. Don't know how.
5. Wide-screen support looks excellent and the handheld mode ain't bad. Even a single joy-con works quite well as a controller.
6:Some improved graphics like the water now has physics and your bullets and you glow a bit against certain backgrounds, booster jet looks cleaner and characters now animate while speaking.

That's all I got. If you've got any questions or comments just leave em below.

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:50 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
My choice to...?
Buy the game...?
Improved is subjective. You might want to change this to say changed graphics, as that would be more accurate.
Or call it dynamic lighting, as that's basically all the guy is talking about.

2.Jukebox.
If you're not aware, this isn't a new feature, but it's simply ported over from the eShop Cave Story. Still cool they even added it, however.
-also curly story is a thing.
I'm only quoting this to say that there's a slight oversight in Curly Story I found--Unlike in the regular story mode, you have to talk to Quote twice to get the iron bond. I'm sort of surprised they didn't give Quote a proper talking animation, just going for animating his hair to wave in the wind.
6:Some improved graphics
Here's one that's certainly improved: Quote's sprite has been edited slightly. In CS+ on Steam, his scarf just kind of... begins at his back, without a front portion. In CS+ on the Switch, they've added the front portion of the scarf, making it look far better. This is easiest to see on the easy mode sprite.
1. Differences in the main story/game.
Not only has Nene's position changed to by the Sand Zone Warehouse to being up in that alcove thing before Omega, but if you carry all five dogs to Jenka, she's got some new dialogue, which actually sort of explains where she gets the Life Pot from and why she gives it to Quote.
After you give Curly Ma Pignon, her dialogue for giving you the Iron Bond starts immediately after she asks if you remember anything. Which... they really only just merged them together without making it look nice.
The block that lets you out of jail is changed to being right by Mahin--which lets you see it disappear and get replaced with the wrong tile--to being at the very top of the jail. Slight difference, looks nice.
The text is always at the fast speed, no need to hold down A/B to speed it up. Pressing A/B once renders all text to the screen immediately, the next one activated the <NOD and then starts drawing the rest of the text. You can easily mash through text this way.

Bonus: Buying the physical copy gives you an instruction booklet with loads of cool art and a mini CD of some songs from the Famitracks soundtrack.

I don't know if this post is specifically for people who already have the game or this is their first time, but I wrote it for the people who already have played the game and want to see if it's worth it.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:36 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
-Well, it's mostly fake lighting.

-GJ NICALiS.

-Whaat! What does it say?

-I don't understand what this means at all.

- At least it's there. To me, it helps add atmosphere to the game.

- This seems to be a port of CS+ on Steam (due to graphics and maps) or a port of eShop CS (due to the jukebox, boss meter being small and hidden in a corner and the textbox being transparent), rather than a full recreation. Either way, due to the fact that you only need to talk to Curly once is Switch-exclusive, I can sort of see why they overlooked it. Maybe Nicalis will fix this oversight at a later time.

- I can't fully remember, but it's something akin to this:
"Yes, that's the last dog. Thank you for bringing them all back to me. I'd like to give you something, but I need time to prepare it. Please step outside." Go outside, walk a bit to the right, and you'll hit a trigger that changes the map to Jenka2. Plus, there's even sounds as Balrog drops in, and the dog barks at him until he leaves.

- Basically, they moved a tile upwards that serves no purpose than to make something look nice. If you still can't understand, then I'll draw you a diagram of the difference.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:49 AM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I'm curious of if the widescreen bugs from the 3DS version are still here. You know Dark Place, the room right before the Core fight? The room's 4:3, so the game draws black bars to cover the out-of-bound areas. The weird thing is, the water actually draws on top of these black bars, which doesn't make any sense. Even worse, if you look at the very left of the screen, the water abruptly cuts off visibly on-screen. It's basically a mathematical issue to do with negative numbers. That's probably the most glaring widescreen issue in that port.

Edit: In hindsight, the weird cave lighting in this port probably makes the black bars indistinguishable from the walls.

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:28 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm curious of if the widescreen bugs from the 3DS version are still here. You know Dark Place, the room right before the Core fight? The room's 4:3, so the game draws black bars to cover the out-of-bound areas. The weird thing is, the water actually draws on top of these black bars, which doesn't make any sense. Even worse, if you look at the very left of the screen, the water abruptly cuts off visibly on-screen. It's basically a mathematical issue to do with negative numbers. That's probably the most glaring widescreen issue in that port.

Edit: In hindsight, the weird cave lighting in this port probably makes the black bars indistinguishable from the walls.
That water oddity is still present. I'd argue that with the new water effects and appearances, it looks even worse than other widescreen ports.

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:34 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I don't know if this post is specifically for people who already have the game or this is their first time, but I wrote it for the people who already have played the game and want to see if it's worth it.
Yeah I kinda decided to just make as little spoilers as possible just in case. But thanks for raising the other points as I don't know all of the differences.

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:36 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Don't forget the new strafing mechanic.

Also, while the Jukebox is not new, it is unlocked from the start. I believe new songs unlock as you hear them in-game.

Finally, more story changes. They added a block right before the Waterway Cabin so the current doesn't drag you down away from he Cabin. You can now refuse to accept the Booster v0.8 in the Labyrinth, making the best ending much less ambiguous. And you can now hold 2 Jellyfish Juices.

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:45 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Don't forget the new strafing mechanic.

Also, while the Jukebox is not new, it is unlocked from the start. I believe new songs unlock as you hear them in-game.

Finally, more story changes. They added a block right before the Waterway Cabin so the current doesn't drag you down away from he Cabin. You can now refuse to accept the Booster v0.8 in the Labyrinth, making the best ending much less ambiguous. And you can now hold 2 Jellyfish Juices.
Strafing Mechanic???? Also I know the jukebox ain't new it's just the 4 different music styles I was mentioning. You can refuse it? I didn't try tbh. Also thanks for the mention of the jellyfish juice.

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh wait. Nvm the switch port is the best version. You can carry all 5 dogs at once.