Cave story remake contest!!!

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:51 PM
taifunbrowser
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
woot! no prize, but I think this will be a fun waste of time! woot! go cave story!

Description: you are to use miza or another map editing program, as well as any out side images/ self made sprites to replace into the game, in order to make a new version of cave story!

you may change:
walls/ floors/ well you get the idea- scenery! (this is probably gonna be the most changed)
level design- be creative! make the labyrinth an actual labyrinth maybe? wutever you want- just no glitches! (minus points for that)
Text change- u can change up the plot / language if u want (i suppose)
Sprite change- u can change anything that moves too!
music change- duh.
background image change- basically covered in first issue

ANYWAY- i'm rambling- point is- remake cave story to the theme of wutever you want!

U can host it anywhere you want, it just has to be downloadable. judgings will be held next sunday at noon, gmt - 6:00 (central america time)

Anyway- have fun with this!

(i've probably left something out- you;re welcome to ask questions.)

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:13 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I downloaded Miza, but I have no idea how to use (the FAQ didn't help at all). How can I change around the triggers and events (I believe Miza calls them entities)?

Are there any better map editors out there?

Dec 3, 2005 at 10:23 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Where can I find miza?

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:55 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Dec 31, 2005 at 7:26 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Pie32x said:
I downloaded Miza, but I have no idea how to use (the FAQ didn't help at all). How can I change around the triggers and events (I believe Miza calls them entities)?

Are there any better map editors out there?

Entities are people, things, monsters, doors, and symbols. Essentially, anything you can interact with. However, the landscape and the background are not entities. In Miza, as you probably already know, wherever there is a "!", it means an entity.

You can drag entities around to different locations by clicking on the entity and, er, dragging it around. =P You can add more entities by "Change the number of entities" on the right side of Miza. Each entity has a TSC equivalent which determines what it does when you interact with it.

The TSC files are the lifeblood of the game. They control all the characters moving around, what they say, what happens when you get a life capsule or some item or a weapon or open a treasure chest, etc, etc. You can use Miza to decode TSC files to TXT files, change the TXT files, and then encode them back to TSC (assuming that the TSC isn't set to read-only.) Here's an example of what a decoded TSC file looks like:

<KEY<ITJ0030:0503<FLJ0741:0502
<MSGOohhh...<NOD<CLR<FAC0017Oh!<NOD
What are you doing here?!<NOD<CLR.....<NOD<CLRReally, so Misery sent
you here too...<NOD<CLR*chuckle*...<NOD<CLRMaybe there's a silver
lining after all...<NOD<CLRYou see,<NOD
this island floats in the
sky by the power of a
certain organism,<NOD
and I've recently
discovered its location.<NOD<CLRThis labyrinth.<NOD<CLRThe organism lives
somewhere within this
very labyrinth.<NOD
If one could destroy it,
the island would cease
to function.<NOD<CLR*chuckle*<NOD<CLRThe doctor must really
be in a rush,<NOD
to send you into the
very heart of this
island.<NOD<CLRTake this with you.<NOD<CLR<FAC0000<IT+0018<GIT1018
Got the Booster v0.8.<NOD<CLR<FAC0017This little machine will
help you fly.<NOD
If you press the Jump
Button in midair, you
can hover.<NOD<CLRUse it on the Item
Screen to equip it.<NOD<GIT0000<CLRPhew...<NOD<CLRThe minute I was sent
flying, I thought it
was all over.<NOD
And yet it enabled me
to meet you once again...<NOD
It looks like my luck
has run out here.<NOD<CLRI pray for your
victory...<NOD<FL+0741<FL+0834<ANP0501:0020:0000<END

As you can see, each entry in the TSC file starts with a # and then the number (in this case, #0501). The number after the # sign is the TSC number, which most entities have. In this case, the entity file of Labyrinth B has an entity placed at 10 by 27 with a TSC Script Index of 501. This tells the game to go to #0501 in the TSC file when you interact with this entity -- namely, the beaten Professor Booster.

You may have noticed all the little tags in the TSC file: <NOD, <MSG, <IT+, <CLR, and others. These tell the game what to do with regards to what items you get and how the formatted text should look like. Here's a list to what TSC commands do what: http://lotlot.net/misc/doukutsu/tsc.txt As you can see, it's still incomplete, but there's enough to create a semi-interesting Doukutsu level or two on your own.

You may wonder, after looking at that guide, how to make doors to other levels: use the <TRA function listed on the aforementioned list that I linked. To change music: use the <CMU command.

That's just to change messages, music and other stuff that happens in the game. To change tiles/monsters/backgrounds, just use Miza to create new monster entities and select and paste tiles from the tile box at the top of Miza.

Happy scripting, if you can figure it all out!

Jan 27, 2006 at 5:49 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
How do i change graphics? I just get an error (in japanese)

Jan 29, 2006 at 12:10 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
genius314 said:
How do i change graphics? I just get an error (in japanese)

Make sure you keep the "copyrightpx" or whatever the text is at the end of each graphic, else it won't work. For example, if you go into a Cave Story picture with a text editor there'll be something at the end that identifies that this is Pixel's work. Don't remember exactly what it is, though. Check for yourself. But, yeah. Make sure that you add that bit of text to everything you plan to use in the game.

Feb 15, 2006 at 12:28 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Using Miza reminds me of the old Pokemon editor used back for R/B and G/S games. Able to edit sprites, move event triggers, edit event triggers, etc...

It's all made easy for us who're dumb XD