Cave Story- Redemption (My 1st Mod, forgive me)

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:34 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Hello everyone!

Version 2 is here! Now includes a fourth bad mini-ending on the Balcony and additional areas and secrets.

So I've been working on my first mod, which I've used as a learning experience to help teach myself TSC.

The mod is called "Cave Story- Redemption". Basically, it's the original Cave Story with much more focus on the final and best ending, which on occasion has been referred to as the "Redemption Ending". There are many minor changes, as well as some major ones.

Well, enjoy! Please give me feedback. I need to know what I've done wrong and how I can fix it. Thanks!

==V.1.0== http://www.mediafire.com/download/gskh8ie2h9xh4fu/Cave_Story-_Redemption.zip
  • Added two characters.
  • Changed the following music:
    "Moonsong" to "Wind Fortress"
  • "Cave Story" to "Pier Walk"
  • "Meltdown 2" to "Meltdown"

[*]Edited several areas of the game.
[*]Edited credits sequence.
==V.2.0== http://www.mediafire.com/download/mf11db2ultqt2nc/Redemption_v2.7z
  • Fixed several bugs.
  • Added teleportation function to the Outer Wall.
  • Added a fourth mini-ending connected to the helicopter on the Balcony.
  • Added an easter egg on the Balcony (reachable only through cheats).
  • Changed the Death Race and its reward (now the Fireball).
  • 3D Printer now functions based on the Boosters and uses the Polar Star + Fireball to make the Snake.
  • Made leaving the First Cave impossible without the Polar Star.
  • Removed the Blade immediately upon entering Mimiga Village.
  • Reworked Puu Black boss battle.
  • Reworked fight with the frenzied mimiga in the Grasstown Hut into a boss battle.
  • Added two hidden areas- one in the Sand Zone and one in the Last Cave (Hidden).
  • Edited dialouge.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Somehow, Ballos' final two forms are skipped over and I have no idea how to fix it. I smoothed it over for now with some lame excuse for his weakness and some added difficulty in the form of homing flames and rollings.
I have the strange desire to help you… which is an uncommon occurrence to randomly happen.

Give me a couple minutes.

EDIT: The game uses flag# 1600 to test the states of Ballos, and The Booster's Lab Flag Listing shows that you set this flag in The Outer Wall (Event# 550 ).

​There's two ways to solve this issue: Either use a different flag or put a <FL-1600 Right before the Ballos Battle (I think event #0900 Would suffice).

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Thank you very much! I will fix this... eventually. Did you play the mod?

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:35 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I has download and played this once then got second ending. Here is my notes while playing:
-Polar star can leaved.
-Death race too easy.
-1st Balrog boss too easy. (with Blade)
-If Polar Star not picked and not play Death Race, you will not have a weapon at Egg Corridor. (not tested)
-Can't pick Life Capsule at Egg Corridor near Chultu Adobe if not have Polar Star.
-Arthur House is different when cutscene after rescuing sue. (D:)
-Unlimited Bubbler?
-Same. If don't have Polar Star, can't go through Sand Zone.
-Curly asks to trade Polar Star with Machine Gun. How? I don't even have a Polar Star.
-Got =King's Blade=. Now, the description is not same.
-A died robot from Egg Corridor is in Labyrith? With Missle Launcher?! wow
-Aaaahhhh! Traded Bubbler with Beast Fang?! :mad:
-04-08-08 Wife Anya bore child. wow
-Oh! Execution Chamber moved to Plantation!
-Weapon pallette is broken.

That's all I can find.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:34 PM
apis said:
I has download and played this once then got second ending. Here is my notes while playing:
-Polar star can leaved.
-Death race too easy.
-1st Balrog boss too easy. (with Blade)
-If Polar Star not picked and not play Death Race, you will not have a weapon at Egg Corridor. (not tested)
-Can't pick Life Capsule at Egg Corridor near Chultu Adobe if not have Polar Star.
-Arthur House is different when cutscene after rescuing sue. (D:)
-Unlimited Bubbler?
-Same. If don't have Polar Star, can't go through Sand Zone.
-Curly asks to trade Polar Star with Machine Gun. How? I don't even have a Polar Star.
-Got =King's Blade=. Now, the description is not same.
-A died robot from Egg Corridor is in Labyrith? With Missle Launcher?! wow
-Aaaahhhh! Traded Bubbler with Beast Fang?! > :(
-04-08-08 Wife Anya bore child. wow
-Oh! Execution Chamber moved to Plantation!
-Weapon pallette is broken.

That's all I can find.
1. I will likely fix that with a "you should explore more of the cave first" type thing.
2. Yes, well, perhaps I should make talking to King mandatory so your Blade gets taken before you battle Balrog. And the Balrog battle is easy even without the Blade.
3. Noted.
4. Yeah I saw that but was focused on the first release.
5. Yes, Unlimited Bubbler.
6. Noted.
7. Noted.
8. I know, I originally intended for there to be two different blades. I must never have changed it.
9. Well it's the "island's trash heap" and, well, the Egg Corridor robot is trash now.
10. The Beast Fang can be traded for the Nemesis. It may seem useless but...
11. What?
12. Yeah that was mainly to test my ability to make doors and stuff.
13. How is it broken?

Well, so, in general not too bad for literally the first time I've even tried coding.

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:09 AM
9. Well it's the "island's trash heap" and, well, the Egg Corridor robot is trash now.
:rolleyes:

10. The Beast Fang can be traded for the Nemesis. It may seem useless but...
Huh?

12. Yeah that was mainly to test my ability to make doors and stuff.
Hm... making a working door is easy.

13. How is it broken?
The color.

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:50 AM
apis said:
:rolleyes:

Huh?

Hm... making a working door is easy.

The color.
The =Beast Fang= can be traded for the Nemesis instead of the blade with Mr. Little. Do you not know about that? Chaba did say you had to find the right person...

The color? Bloody hell I thought I fixed that...

EDIT:

Also, I fixed the stuff with getting the =Polar Star= and still having the =Blade= and taught myself to animate NPCs in the process.

Also, I'm not seeing how the colors in the weapons pallete are broken. Do you mean how the Super Missile and Machine Gun were recolored? I made the stripe on the Super Missile red instead of white on purpose. The Machine Gun I need to fix...

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:56 AM
SuperJaws100 said:
Also, I'm not seeing how the colors in the weapons pallete are broken. Do you mean how the Super Missile and Machine Gun were recolored? I made the stripe on the Super Missile red instead of white on purpose. The Machine Gun I need to fix...
After editing, save it with 32 bit color option.

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:57 PM
I think the colors are fine. To my eyes on my computer, at least. The Machine Gun just had a floating tip, which I've fixed.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:01 PM
Version 2 is here! A lot has been fixed and reworked! Try it out! I think I am finished with this mod, so I fully intend to start my next mod immediately. This one was mainly to learn TSC. I believe I am now ready to start a full, feature-length mod. Be on the look out for updates on DOCTOR WHO STORY!

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:01 AM
apis said:
This is already in the vanilla game, did you let Curly die or something?

Anya

I don't know if anyone got this, but "Anya" is Ballos' now dead wife.

She was a master computer programmer, which allowed her to wire her house in preparation for the day that Quote would arrive with an injured Curly. Presumably, Anya knew Quote and Curly from the events with the previous wearer of the Demon Crown but was unable to get Quote/Curly to stop Ballos the first time around.

If you don't have Curly, the house's wire doesn't go off, and the program Anya made before her death doesn't work. But Anya did give birth to a child, and Ballos recorded that on the computer shortly before going insane.

Now, I just had an idea, but I won't bother to go through with it because it'd be a very minor change. What if instead of Anya, it was MOMORIN?

The computer would have a videochat open that Momorin would use to talk to Quote and instruct him on how to help Curly! And perhaps the Waterway Cabin is the Sakamotos' old house! And the child that the "wife" bore was either Kazuma or Sue!