Cave Story Online

Jan 31, 2024 at 7:23 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey! So i was wondering: how does cave sotry multiplayer work? i can't seem to find a guide on it so if somebody knows how it works, please tell me! (we can play too, if you're interested!) Thank you for reading.
EDIT: So i think i understand it now. I've setup port forwarding and i think i should put the IP in here so ppl can join.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 1:32 AM
Modding Community Discord Moderator
CSE Discord Moderator
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
You'll have to be a bit more specific... there's both a "Cave Story Online", which is was a simple deathmatch game, and a "Cave Story Multiplayer", which is the full game with multiplayer.
Also, are you looking for a guide on hosting/joining a server, or an explanation of how it works at a technical level?

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:31 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You'll have to be a bit more specific... there's both a "Cave Story Online", which is was a simple deathmatch game, and a "Cave Story Multiplayer", which is the full game with multiplayer.
Also, are you looking for a guide on hosting/joining a server, or an explanation of how it works at a technical level?
yea sorry i meant the multiplayer one and how to host/join a server. again sorry for the misunderstanding.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:43 AM
Modding Community Discord Moderator
CSE Discord Moderator
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Ah, the best place to get help with CSMP is on the discord server (it's also linked on the website). People sporadically host servers there (someone just posted there as I'm typing, actually), so you can probably find one to join there.
afaik, hosting just requires you to port forward (which you can find numerous tutorials on), then hit "Host" in the bottom right of the netplay menu, but I've never personally done it.

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:56 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ah, the best place to get help with CSMP is on the discord server (it's also linked on the website). People sporadically host servers there (someone just posted there as I'm typing, actually), so you can probably find one to join there.
afaik, hosting just requires you to port forward (which you can find numerous tutorials on), then hit "Host" in the bottom right of the netplay menu, but I've never personally done it.
Thanks for telling me. Im gonna go check right now, actually.

Feb 11, 2024 at 9:27 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wait Cave Story multiplayer is a thing? Gotta look deeper into that.