Cave Story Music in LittleBigPlanet

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
A few months ago, I took the time to recreate every song from Cave Story, as well as a few beta songs, in LittleBigPlanet 2. It was only just recently that I was able to actually record them properly and upload the video to YouTube. I'd like to share it with you all in hopes of getting some criticism and maybe point out some mistakes I might have made.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:15 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You could always download orgmaker and the CS orgs to see how well you did.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Sounds like you did a pretty good job. I don't know how Little Big Planet 2 works at all, so could you explain the process? How does LBP2's music creation tool compare to OrgMaker? I can't imagine it was easy to do with a PlayStation controller.

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
You did very well!

All the songs sound very nice and quite close to the original. I especially like what you did with First Cave and Wind Fortress.

Looks like you've been making LBP2 music for a while now. And you're very good at it.

I gave you a like ;)

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Sounds spot-on. Now it would be perfect if somebody paired this up with a CS-themed level in LBP2, then these songs could really be used to their full potential.

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Tpcool said:
Sounds spot-on. Now it would be perfect if somebody paired this up with a CS-themed level in LBP2, then these songs could really be used to their full potential.
There is a CS themed level hidden in the depthes of the search system, but its been a reeeeaaalllyy long time since ive played LBP2.

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Captain Fabulous said:
Sounds like you did a pretty good job. I don't know how Little Big Planet 2 works at all, so could you explain the process? How does LBP2's music creation tool compare to OrgMaker? I can't imagine it was easy to do with a PlayStation controller.
The sequencer in LBP2 is fairly similar to OrgMaker. You place an instrument on the circuit board and when you edit the instrument it opens another window featuring the piano roll. One of the few problems is that you're only able to have the song repeat once it reaches the end. So if I wanted it to be continuous I would have to copy and paste the parts of the song that repeat; pretty much everything but the small intro in most songs.

Since your limited to the instruments they provide you, I had to tinker around with them to match the ones in Cave Story.

It wasn't too difficult using a Playstation controller. Everything was optimized really well. Songs like Access were done in about 5 minutes. In fact, I find the LBP sequencer a lot easier to use than OrgMaker. You can create chords without using another instrument, you have the ability to make notes slide, and increase the timbre of a note to completely change the way it sounds.

Polaris said:
You did very well!

All the songs sound very nice and quite close to the original. I especially like what you did with First Cave and Wind Fortress.

Looks like you've been making LBP2 music for a while now. And you're very good at it.

I gave you a like ;)
Greatly appreciated! I have been messing with the sequencer since the closed LBP2 beta started 3 years ago.

In response to CookedChef and Tpcool:
I didn't show it in the video, but I made a working controllable Quote sprite animation to go with the level. The only thing it can't do is jump.
And the CS themed level Chef is talking about was made by a friend of mine named Phort.

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Dunc2403 said:
You're the guy who made the music? Dude Gestation is one of my hearted items, have you uploaded a level so we can get the rest?
The video in the original post is from the level I uploaded. http://lbp.me/v/f42fht

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
really amazing!, and good job of course. :D

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:20 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Fucking hell, why is LBP2 PS3-exclusive?!
That bitch's expensive and I've already got Nintendo Wii :(