Cave Story modding for dummies

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:45 AM
"Forever coffee..."
Hi everyone. Before I even start, I'm just going to say that I am considering a mod and I do not expect instant and bountiful help. I also know that modding is hard and intensive, so I may give up (I'm not made of money and time). The idea is for this thread to be sort of a beginner's guide to modding - I have no idea how to do any of this, and I know that there are probably a lot of people that don't either.
My goal is through my blunders and advice from the experienced, a full guide can be made to mod Cave Story.
My main question for right now is: What are the differences between Sue's Workshop, Booster's Lab, and CS editor? I did see the video Noxid (I'm new, so forgive me if I spell his name wrong) posted, but because Booster's Lab now exists, I wonder if it's any better and if I should still use CS editor.
I will be occupied, so don't get your knickers in a twist (hope I'm using it correctly) because I haven't replied.

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:02 AM
"Huzzah!"
Never use Sue's Workshop (it corrupts stuff and nobody uses it). Booster's Lab is far superior to Cave Editor (so while CE is still functional, BL is much better, easy to use, and is actively maintained). And the links Camero posted above are very helpful.

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:47 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
(I'm not made of money and time)
GOOD NEWS!: cave story modding is completely free(money wise, as long as you are working on a devise that can run window programs)
bad news... : Its pretty time consuming if you actually want to make something worth playing.

Oct 12, 2015 at 4:43 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I mean, it costs you a few hundred dollars to buy the computer to make the mod on, but you're in luck if you bought it prior to thinking about doing so and/or are currently using it.

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:56 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Noxid made two videos that should cover the basics of modding and give you the right idea on what tools you need to get. It's not as descriptive as the DOC guide he made, but it should give you a good idea on what you need to do now, especially when it comes to scripting.