Cave Story+ Leaderboards on Mac - Did anyone know about this?

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:19 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
So I think most people here are aware of the fact that Cave Story+ on Steam has a leaderboard feature that has been broken for over 10 years. You complete a challenge, it tries to upload your score, and the game crashes. If you try to access the leaderboards later, it will also crash, making them essentially inaccessible. This issue was eventually fixed 6 years later with the Switch version, which does have functioning leaderboards. However, I just tried accessing the leaderboards on the Mac Steam version of Cave Story+ and they just... worked?

I'm a mac guy, but the version of CS+ I always used was the Mac App Store version. This version was never updated and never has had leaderboards. By the time I bought the Steam version to get all the achievements, Mac support of 32 bit apps was long dead, so I always used Wine/a Virtual Machine/a Steam Deck to play the Windows version. However, I recently hooked up my old computer and tried out the Mac Steam version, and the leaderboards just worked! (I even got 6th place lmao)

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 5.44.48 PM.png

Interestingly, It uses a different UI compared to the Switch version that shows you the weapons used.

I've heard someone say that the Linux version has functioning leaderboards, but I tried using it on the Steam Deck, and it didn't work, it just crashed like the windows version.

Unfortunately, it seems that Steam stopped supporting macOS 10.14 (The last version to support 32 bit apps) at the end of 2023. Steam is still usable on my old computer, but I don't know for how long. I'm not sure how long these leaderboards will be able to exist for. Anyway, attached are more screenshots of the other modes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 7.16.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 7.16.27 PM.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 12.42.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 12.42.00 PM.png
    159 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 12.42.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 12.42.26 PM.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 12.57.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 12.57.38 PM.png
    221.1 KB · Views: 4
Mar 27, 2024 at 8:05 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The leaderboards in CS+ always interested me. I wish there were more CS related things with leaderboards. I remember seeing the leaderboards a long time ago and being like "wow how do people get their times so low" in my head. It'd benefit heavily from ghosts of people with similar times to you and stuff like that.

I'd genuinely drop $20 for a CS Sequel designed entirely around challenges like Wind Fortress and Bloodstained Sanctuary w/ regular updates with new challenges and a rotating weekly challenge thing. NICALiS if you're hiring, please, I have no shortage of ideas.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:39 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'd genuinely drop $20 for a CS Sequel designed entirely around challenges like Wind Fortress and Bloodstained Sanctuary w/ regular updates with new challenges and a rotating weekly challenge thing. NICALiS if you're hiring, please, I have no shortage of ideas.
PLEASE make the combo breaker and have it not be yet another speedrun challenge. The fact that there's actually quite a bit that you can do with the game's engine (without the need of hacks or custom code, or in CS+'s sakes, no OOB flags) and every one that's made is a fucking speedrun challenge.

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:10 AM

Wait, I just noticed! Noxid’s there! He’s number 3 on the Sanctuary Time Attack leaderboard (and he didn’t pick up a Nemesis for some reason)

I don’t think he has a Mac, but I could be wrong. I guess it is possible this is including Linux users, but I can’t get this to work on Linux.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:47 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I'm unfamiliar with CS+ so pardon the question, but what's the deal with having both a Blade and a Nemesis?

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:23 PM
I'm unfamiliar with CS+ so pardon the question, but what's the deal with having both a Blade and a Nemesis?
The "Sanctuary Time Attack" mode in CS+ has pretty bizarre rules. They let you pick up a Polar Star, Fireball, Bubbler, Blade, Nemesis, and Spur. Bizarrely, you can't have both the Polar Star and the Spur, but you can have the Blade and Nemesis. No Snake and no Missiles of any kind are available, and there's no life pot available. It makes it very different from playing story mode, and IMO it's a lot less fun because if it.

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:49 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The Humble Store version has the leaderboards fixed on Windows actually, it just doesn't crash because there are no leaderboards. I wonder why Nicalis didn't fix the Windows version.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 3:04 PM
The Humble Store version has the leaderboards fixed on Windows. I wonder why Nicalis didn't fix the Steam version. Maybe they released an update on the Humble Store but forgot to release it on Steam?
Oh weird, I'll have to check that out. Are the leaderboards the same as the ones here?

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:02 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh weird, I'll have to check that out. Are the leaderboards the same as the ones here?
I don't actually own the Humble Store version, so I'm not sure if it's the same leaderboard. But I heard somebody say that they were fixed there.