CAVE STORY DELUXE JUST HIT 1000th DOWNLOAD

May 7, 2006 at 7:13 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
It just hit the 1000th download! Just to let everyone know a new version will come out when more stuff comes out/when i feel like it ;) .

May 14, 2006 at 12:44 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
That's definitely good news. I'm just happy that it is uploaded at a fileshare website. lol To think if I had hosted it here at GameFlaws I would have had some gigantic extra bandwidth costs! x_X

-SkyeWelse

May 16, 2006 at 7:02 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I did downloaded CS Deluxe but it was hard due to you have to wait(I can hardly download something from fileshare/the host CS Deluxe is on)So I had to wait 8 minutes for it,You can upload it on savefile?

For torrent make it another mirror?To me torrent files can be downloaded and yes I am not that stupid to not include the torrent program,Torrent downloads almost never start for me or if they are downloading they stop downloading and automatically cancel/pause or stop downloading,So I don't recommend that.

May 16, 2006 at 9:49 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
One thing about Deluxe, is that the link on the tribute site says it contains both PC and Mac versions. However, referring a friend to it, he said it wouldn't work for his Mac because it was an exe file. Is there anything you could do about that for the next version?

May 17, 2006 at 2:38 PM
Shmitz said:
One thing about Deluxe, is that the link on the tribute site says it contains both PC and Mac versions. However, referring a friend to it, he said it wouldn't work for his Mac because it was an exe file. Is there anything you could do about that for the next version?
lol, I knew that would happen. The Mac version is included in case you wanted to share the game with any of your friends with a mac without having to re-download anything. The exe itself does'nt work with Mac I knew that. There really isnt anything I can do about this, I use windows and linux and that's it, sorry :D
As far as the torrent I'm gonna see if I can host it at demonoid.com, and we still need a group of permenant seeders. After enough downloads some seeders can stop seeding (it will be downloaded hundreds of times there, im pretty sure).

Oct 18, 2006 at 5:16 PM
Sorry to be gone for so long, had a lot of stuff to do lately. Anyway, I recently found out there is a bad playlist in cave story deluxe. This will be fixed with the next version. The school i was going to last year gave me a new hard drive at the end of the year and everything was lost ;) . But dont worry, I'll soon redownload the old version and start from scratch.
FEATURES I HOPE TO ADD IN NEW VERSION:
First of all, its gonna be a lot bigger than the old one, sorry people on dialup :(
I hope to make it into a nero cd image or iso cd image that (using nero technology) will play the cave story music when in the car, but will boot up the installer when put into the computer :D
I of course will add the remix project
I will also add some cd-covers and make it look as professional as possible.
The best part however is the fact that you will be able to download it as a .torrent. This will increas the download speed (if anyone will help me seed), reduce bandwidth constrictions that the last one had so many problems with, and even help those with slow connections quickly download it :D
hopefully more news on the way, my internet at home recently went out, hopefully it will be back up soon.
IF ANYONE WANTS TO HELP ME WITH THIS, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT WADEIZZLE@GMAIL.COM

Oct 19, 2006 at 1:30 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I can help, cuz:

My Modem has broken, like the first windows
Telecom has spoken, like the first fool
Praise for the music, praise for the high-speed
Praise for the downloads from the whole world

I have DSL 700k now ;)

Oct 23, 2006 at 2:53 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Argh, not torrents... Will there be an alternative means of downloading? One that, y'know... works? ;) (Seriously, this won't be torrent-only, right?)

Oct 23, 2006 at 8:52 PM
No there wont be another way to download. what makes torrents so easy for me and for the downloaders is that its an easy way to share big files. If there is one thing i hate it's uploading stuff to websites. Takes FOREVER!!!!! Not only that, but torrents make it easier on the downloaders as well, sometimes majorly speeding up the process. If you need a good .torrent downloader program, I personally use utorrent. Just about the best one out there, and its 140 kb too. So please dont complain, its not that big of a deal.

Oct 23, 2006 at 10:33 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
As long as you've got some seeders torrents are a fine way to go.

Although I still don't understand why anyone even needs a gigantic zip full of everything anyone ever created for Cave Story, when you can just have a website with links to each part. (Click here to download the PC version, here to download the remix project!) Seems pretty wasteful to me.

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:46 AM
Hoxtilicious
Osmose said:
As long as you've got some seeders torrents are a fine way to go.

Although I still don't understand why anyone even needs a gigantic zip full of everything anyone ever created for Cave Story, when you can just have a website with links to each part. (Click here to download the PC version, here to download the remix project!) Seems pretty wasteful to me.

Well, I would be to lazy to search for onehundred and one things ;)

Oct 24, 2006 at 2:56 PM
The Bartender
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
Well, I would be to lazy to search for onehundred and one things ;)
I dunno, there's a lot of junk in that zip that's hardly any useful to most people. For instance, while the squid game may be cool, it's not CS and may not be what some people are after. Ditto with the artwork and music. Or maybe I just want the artwork, or the music, for a personal project. Yet I'd have to suffer through a 40-some meg downoad just to get them.

It's a real shame that it's going to be a torrent-only huge chunk of jumbled files, frankly... It seems like it would be much more convinient just bundle up related material as different zips (which wouldn't amount to much more than 4-5 zips really - hardly a hundred things to sort through!)

Well, whatever. I already have the old version so I don't see why I shoould sit through another 40+ meg download anyhow (the truth is, people with older versions are going to have to redownload 40 megs of stuff they already have to get a few megs of new content - this wouldn't happen if files were split up, or at least it would be much less of a problem.) But it seems to me things should be convinient for the users, and not a pain to download (especially for dialup users - or at least DSL users) just because the webmaster doesn't feel like uploading things... Not trying to come off as a whiny little bitch, just exposing my views on this, really.

Peace.

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:10 PM
RuneLancer said:
I dunno, there's a lot of junk in that zip that's hardly any useful to most people. For instance, while the squid game may be cool, it's not CS and may not be what some people are after. Ditto with the artwork and music. Or maybe I just want the artwork, or the music, for a personal project. Yet I'd have to suffer through a 40-some meg downoad just to get them.

It's a real shame that it's going to be a torrent-only huge chunk of jumbled files, frankly... It seems like it would be much more convinient just bundle up related material as different zips (which wouldn't amount to much more than 4-5 zips really - hardly a hundred things to sort through!)

Well, whatever. I already have the old version so I don't see why I shoould sit through another 40+ meg download anyhow (the truth is, people with older versions are going to have to redownload 40 megs of stuff they already have to get a few megs of new content - this wouldn't happen if files were split up, or at least it would be much less of a problem.) But it seems to me things should be convinient for the users, and not a pain to download (especially for dialup users - or at least DSL users) just because the webmaster doesn't feel like uploading things... Not trying to come off as a whiny little bitch, just exposing my views on this, really.

Peace.

Oh boy, you have no friggin clue what the hell your talkin bout. A torrent is not a jumbled up bunch of pieces. What makes a torrent easy to use is that it allows you to leech off of others and download something in bits. The file itself will be one whole file when its done, its just that your getting one piece at a time. To be truthful, torrenting things are probably one of the most reliable ways to send things. About the zip thing, what the hell are you talking about? When you zip something in windows, it barely compresses it. I could .rar or 7zip it, which are both WAY better than plain old zipping it. But for ultra compression, i could use uharc. Also there really isnt any junk in the installer. Ikachan is the true predecessor to Cave Story, as well as being a great game. The 40 meg download is not even that big either. What i will probably do with the next one is make several different versions. A lite one : a self extracting rar or 7zip containing some of the contents of the original, a full blown installer, and a nero disk image that when burned to cd will allow you to listen to music when put into a cd player but will boot up the installer when put into the computer. Not tryin to be a jackass or anything, just tryin to tell you the facts. ;)

Oct 25, 2006 at 12:53 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
No, no, he knows what he's talking about. I'm assuming his prejudice against torrents is trouble getting them to work, and admittedly, I've had that same problem a few times, although it's my experience that if you let a torrent sit at 2 kb/s for a half hour it'll pick up to a nice 50-100 kb/s.

What he's saying is that having a giant file, no matter what the filetype, is kinda bulky and is hard for people who only want a part of the file. 56kers will have a crappy time trying to get the music and artwork, while already having the game and stuff, because they have to download everything else with it.

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:02 AM
Hoxtilicious
Osmose said:
No, no, he knows what he's talking about. I'm assuming his prejudice against torrents is trouble getting them to work, and admittedly, I've had that same problem a few times, although it's my experience that if you let a torrent sit at 2 kb/s for a half hour it'll pick up to a nice 50-100 kb/s.

What he's saying is that having a giant file, no matter what the filetype, is kinda bulky and is hard for people who only want a part of the file. 56kers will have a crappy time trying to get the music and artwork, while already having the game and stuff, because they have to download everything else with it.

Well I have DSL now and ure talkin about 56k, before I had 56k and noone talked about it -.- Well this is pissing me off! GRRR Sombodys gonna friggin pay for screwing up my vacation!!!!!!!!!!!

Just joking guys ;D
But well thats just right ^^

Oct 25, 2006 at 5:44 PM
The Bartender
Osmose got it right. What I'm saying is that having a 40 meg zip (used as a generic compression term - if you want to be picky, you can call it a rar, or a tarball, or whatever you fancy) can be a massive pain, particularly when nobody is seeding the torrent (assuming you're downloading it from some place where the torrent won't be blocked through proxies - that's already preventing a few users from getting the zip right there...) and the download speed is low, or if your connection isn't some fancy 500kbps-average cable line.

The other problem is that, while you might feel the contents are worthwhile, someone may not be interested in the other stuff (for instance, the squid game.) This adds unecessary bloat that's, unfortunately, mandatory. Or suppose I can't find that squid game and know it's in the zip (which I don't - nothing describes the contents of the zip but admittedly I haven't seen the page lately so I could be wrong) and all's I want is that one game, well, I'm stuck with a large 40 meg download. With no options being offered to get what I want from it. Not a very appealing situation, especially if the file is going to grow, now.

Or suppose that I already have the previous version of the archive and just want the new stuff. That's 40 megs of junk I won't want (seeing as I already have it) being downloaded. As well as 40 megs of download going through your server unecessarily. It may not be much, but those 40 megs do pile up. In relation with the rest of the contents (a few images and html documents, and a couple of text files) that's quite big.

What I'm suggesting is to split up the contents. There aren't that many different categories in there (Ikachan, CS, the images, the music, and the extra documents and hacking tools) and, heck, most of them are already available on the site. It'd be more convinient that way for everyone, seeing as people who already have (say) Cave Story and the related media could just grab the substantially smaller Ikachan zip and not download 30-some megs of Cave Story media and tools.

It's your call.

Oct 25, 2006 at 8:01 PM
Osmose said:

I completely understand that, but at the same time bitorrent is a great way to reduce the frustration. Yes it does take a while to start up but the great thing about bitorrent is the ability to pause and stop downloads. And again, although im repeating myself, there will probably be several versions.After seeing the problems people had with the last one (imho 40 megs isnt really that large at all, though some will disagree), a lite version is in order. This will be stripped down to the essentials for the fans, while a larger version will be the full disk .iso file ;)

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:24 PM
The Bartender
There are download managers to allow restarting and pausing downloads, by the way. They're useful to have around when sites don't offer alternative download methods. Not saying this in relation to torrents (there's still the issue with them being blocked on some computers, I'd love to know how that could be avoided or how it makes them better than standard, tried-and-true methods) just pointing it out because you seem to mention torrents are the only method that allows it. Or at least, that it's an advantage they have over regular methods.

Glad to hear there'll be a light version. But that still doesn't solve the issue of someone wanting a single thing from the 40+ meg archive. It's a good start though. :p

Oct 31, 2006 at 1:50 PM
I know all about download managers, as i myself used to be on a 56k cable modem :p . At the same time though im still not interested in uploading a file. It actually took me about 2 hours to upload the original version. To all the people looking for one file, why the hell are you downloading this? Theres this awesome new search engine called google/sarcasm. You know if you only want one file, you can find it yourself, deluxe was meant to be a package. I originally started the package because i got addicted to cave story, and got a few friends addicted to it too.