Cave Story defines genre?

May 16, 2010 at 8:44 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Yeah that was what i meant with "individual"; you don't have a true "party" or such, you are Quote.

There are also other RPG elements like weapons and weapon leveling, exploring, item gathering, and perhaps more importantly individual quests. Some of this things feature in some platformers but in CaveStory they are much more marked and emphasized.

May 16, 2010 at 9:08 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
NimoStar said:
Yeah that was what i meant with "individual"; you don't have a true "party" or such, you are Quote.

There are also other RPG elements like weapons and weapon leveling, exploring, item gathering, and perhaps more importantly individual quests. Some of this things feature in some platformers but in CaveStory they are much more marked and emphasized.

But there are plenty of games that aren't RPG's that have fetch quests.

The main reason I think that cave story doesn't cut it to be an RPG is the linearity of the game. The game isn't too linear, but it is quite so. A true RPG generally has lots of areas to explore at once, and feels a lot bigger. Cave story's world does get big, but once you've been to an area once there generally isn't a reason to go back.

So "Action-adventure platformer with some RPG elements" is about the best I can come up with.

May 16, 2010 at 5:57 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
The most fun part was exploring, looking for random useless items that serve no purpose...Or do they?

May 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM
"Huzzah!"
*coughSnakecoughcough*

:D

May 17, 2010 at 7:54 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
as well as meeting many new characters, towns, etc.

There's TWO towns in Cave Story: Mimiga Village and Grasstown. That's not what I'd call 'many'. ANY RPG will beat Cave Story in the number of towns.

(And I don't know how you'd imagine how to be able of meeting a town ;))

May 17, 2010 at 2:13 PM
Oh well, you are such a "smartbutt", aren't you? ;)

There is the Plantation, that is big, pretty much a town and has areas, rooms, etc.
The labyrinth also has store, clinics, etc.
Both have resident populations...

Not every "town" has to have the world "village", "city", or "town" in it for it to be a "town". Because... "Mimiga Village", "Grasstown"... the only ones? You d'say San Francisco isn't a town?
And you do know that Grasstown was really called "Bushland" and then would not be a town from your point of view, right? lol.

Then, you can meet Towns in many ways, to name some:
1- The Town is a sentient being (in some fiction, this happens)
2- You meet someone by the name of "Towns" :D

May 17, 2010 at 2:34 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
NimoStar said:
Oh well, you are such a "smartbutt", aren't you? ;)

There is the Plantation, that is big, pretty much a town and has areas, rooms, etc.
The labyrinth also has store, clinics, etc.
Both have resident populations...

Not every "town" has to have the world "village", "city", or "town" in it for it to be a "town". Because... "Mimiga Village", "Grasstown"... the only ones? You d'say San Francisco isn't a town?
And you do know that Grasstown was really called "Bushland" and then would not be a town from your point of view, right? lol.

Then, you can meet Towns in many ways, to name some:
1- The Town is a sentient being (in some fiction, this happens)
2- You meet someone by the name of "Towns" :D

But lots of games have different areas, and hate to break it to you but the labrynth and plantation aren't what I'd call towns, since they're a labrynth and a plantation (in that order).

Plus the residents at the plantation are more like concentration camp workers. And the gaudis are monsters, since they don't seem to have any dwellings. The 2 areas certainly aren't towns in the traditional sense.

Bushlands would be more like a town (it really is a pathetic excuse for a town if you call it that) since it has 2 houses. Mimiga village is small too, but we probably didn't get to see all of it since it would need to be bigger if all the mimigas were living there.

I don't know what to say about your "smartbutt" comment (I don't think that's a word used commonly), and I'd call San Francisco a city. The last part of your post confuses me a bit too.

[EDIT]: Were you trying to call him a smartass, but instead opted out to use a less harsh term? That makes sense, I guess.

May 17, 2010 at 3:24 PM
As GIR says, Grasstown is per definition a town, and would be so even if it was called San Fransisco.
Question: how many towns in Cave Story are sentient?

Anyways, I like to have the last word; if that makes me a smartbutt as opposed to a besser-wisser, so be it.

May 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM
how many towns in Cave Story are sentient?
How would anyone know? ;) xD
Also, the core may be assumed to be sentient and is the heart of the island.
Grasstown is per definition a town
O rly? And why is that?
But lots of games have different areas, and hate to break it to you but the labrynth and plantation aren't what I'd call towns, since they're a labrynth and a plantation (in that order).

Actually the labyrinth is a junkyard, not a labyrinth. And Plantation is much more of a town (with two jails, a rest room, a hidden shelter house, access to a statue chambler, a teleporter room, a storage, etc., all active ) than grasstown, which is sort of a ruin. And has only two inhabitants. Lol. And is full of savage creatures and ghosts. Nobody even lives or works at the open.

And the gaudis are monsters, since they don't seem to have any dwellings
They have egg chamblers, and soldiers with armors. They keep a store and have a clerk. They know of money (something not even mimigas mention). And can speak, and are sentinent. They are not just "monsters" as the others.

[EDIT]: Were you trying to call him a smartass, but instead opted out to use a less harsh term? That makes sense, I guess.
It actually was more of a joke, lol.

And while I do agree that there are less towns and areas in CaveStory than in other RPGs, CS even has more storytelling than many of them, and the areas are more developed, complex, and fleshed out, and have many different chars which really compensates for it not having 10 "towns" (think of the fgameboy Pokemon games or any sorta-rpg of that time like first Zelda and you will know what am I talking about).

May 17, 2010 at 3:37 PM
And Plantation is much more of a town (with two jails, a rest room, a hidden shelter house, access to a statue chambler, a teleporter room, a storage, etc., all active )
Yeah. Anything that has two jails, a statue chamber, a storage and a teleporter room is trough definition a town. I'm sorry, you proved me wrong. I'm going to ask for your excusination on my bare knees.

Seriously, the residents at the plantation are more like concentration camp workers. For instance, nobody lives in a home, but rather in a 'rest area'. The teleporter room is locked. The other way out ends up in thin air. There's no shops, no place to e.g. farm food, and the mimigas are getting watched by Drolls that makes sure they don't slack off.

Grasstown has 3 inhabitants, one that turned frenzied and guards one of the missile expansions by the time you get there.

But you have a point about the Labyrinth, I'll grant you that.

==EDIT==
You're stating that "Cave Story has more story than most RPGs"? Ever played FF6? Comparing Golden Sun or FF Tactics Advance or Pokémon with the 90's RPGs (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Tales Of Phantasia, Star Ocean) is just....

....impossible. Seriously doing so in front of an RPG person like me results in a beating, please do not do that.

May 17, 2010 at 3:53 PM
You're stating that "Cave Story has more story than most RPGs"?
Please read better. I said many, not most, which are VERY different things.
Thank you for actually paying attention this time.
Yeah. Anything that has two jails, a statue chamber, a storage and a teleporter room is trough definition a town. I'm sorry, you proved me wrong. I'm going to ask for your excusination on my bare knees.
Excusination? That's a real word? lol
You forgot the Rest Area, the hidden shelter house, and etc.
And the little fact most chars you have met in the game are living there by the time you arrive... plus droll mooks.
Seriously, the residents at the plantation are more like concentration camp workers. For instance, nobody lives in a home, but rather in a 'rest area'. The teleporter room is locked. The other way out ends up in thin air. There's no shops (...) and the mimigas are getting watched by Drolls that makes sure they don't slack off.[/QUOTE]
The teleporter room is locked. So is my house. And so... ? There are more people living in the plantation than any other area in the whole game. The shovel guys and others actually believe in the doctor and cooperate with him at will. Yes, they are also forced. But what changes that?
We are all also watched by our governments, would you say we dont live at towns because of that? Or people at "1984", to put an example if you know, do they stop living at towns because they live under an orwellian police state?
There's no shops
The only shop in the whole island is the one at the labyrinth. For that definition, not even mimiga village is a town.
no place to e.g. farm food
Kanpachi fishes... or at least tries to ;)
Well, it technically is all about farming food. Because red flowers are there to be eaten, aren't they? And they are very nutritive...
MWHAHAHAHA :D
Srsly, look how fat Igor is and how much weight Toroko gainded from only one. They're just... wow.
xD

May 17, 2010 at 4:18 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
NimoStar said:
And while I do agree that there are less towns and areas in CaveStory than in other RPGs, CS even has more storytelling than many of them, and the areas are more developed, complex, and fleshed out, and have many different chars which really compensates for it not having 10 "towns" (think of the fgameboy Pokemon games or any sorta-rpg of that time like first Zelda and you will know what am I talking about).

This is the part I can't agree with. Nearly every RPG has more story (and hence more storytelling) than cave story. Really, Cave Story's story is kind of short, but it's not overdone. Don't try to tell me that it has more storytelling than most RPGs though, since that just seems like, well, lying through your teeth.

One of the things I appreciated about Cave Story was that the story was short and simple, yet well put together.

May 17, 2010 at 4:47 PM
Geez you are just distorting my words. I never said it got more story than most. I said it had got more story than many, and I meant to compare it exclusively with the oldest ones as I though I made clear.

And even if you take, for example, any individual part of the "Baldur's gate" series (not it as a whole), the CS storyline is on the same character storyline level (it has a infinity lot less world depth obviously, and length etc. but it is D&D we are talking about, few could compete).