Cave Story Chrome Port

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
okay, well, I dunno if this is exactly the right place to put this so I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but! I just got one of them crazy chrome notebooks everyone's talking about with Google's new OS installed and I just thought that maybe someone could port cave story to it if that was remotely possible. I would love to play a bit of cave story every now and then on it. it would be great!

TL;DR I got the cr-48 and was wondering if someone could port cave story to chrome.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:40 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm afraid this probably hasn't been a possibility since I think late 2008 when Nicalis began work on CS Wii and demanded all porting be halted.

You could possibly do something with that nxengine thing, it's in C++ isn't it?
I don't know anything about porting though.
And since this is apparantly a new OS I imagine there might be some time before there are many people with the skills/technology to do it.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Wait, Google made an OS?

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED OF THIS!?!?

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:47 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
so yet another OS that doesn't come with .exe support? i'll pass thnx.

@WoC because they never made an advertisement campaign afaik.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Wedge of Cheese said:
Wait, Google made an OS?

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED OF THIS!?!?

Because it's just Linux Ubuntu limited to web apps, apparently. (I guess it's to be more secure against malicious programs)

I don't know much about it, but it's supposed to be exclusive to Google-branded computers, however, apparently the CR-48 notebooks are free for those that wish to actively participate in the development for Chrome OS, with the catch being that it has limited functioning, doesn't have a few standard keys (i.e. Caps Lock), and it seems like it doesn't have a CD-Rom drive either.

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:12 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
T3mp0 said:
Because it's just Linux Ubuntu limited to web apps, apparently. (I guess it's to be more secure against malicious programs)

I don't know much about it, but it's supposed to be exclusive to Google-branded computers, however, apparently the CR-48 notebooks are free for those that wish to actively participate in the development for Chrome OS, with the catch being that it has limited functioning, doesn't have a few standard keys (i.e. Caps Lock), and it seems like it doesn't have a CD-Rom drive either.
;

actually, it does have capslock but the button is a search button you just change it into a capslock button in the settings if you please. it also has limited functioning but it is still in beta. If you already have chrome the browser then once you sign into the OS you'll already have all your apps and bookmarks all set up for you without. I personally think it's a great little thing.