Cave Story Anthem Duet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Tell me what you think and what could be improved. Avoid listening at the max volume because you will start to hear the footprints of the microphone.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Sounds like bad karaoke

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Not anymore
Well that's unfortunate. Actually, the speed of sound is slightly off. I cannot sing close to the microphone. If I try to sing close to the microphone, the sound freaks out.

I am actually forced to sing farther away from the microphone, and sound travels very slowly compared to light, so therefore my voice is slightly delayed compared to the Vocaloid's voice.

For other songs, I actually do not play any background music. Why? Because then you cannot hear the lyrics delay, and suddenly it sounds better and not "off key". Singing with the music is pretty difficult, at least for an amateur.

Also, Karaoke style will not work. I cannot watch the Anthem video and simply sing the subtitles. The subtitles come too slowly. I must memorize the lyrics and sing the words BEFORE the subtitles show up on the screen, for the time machine effect. Without the time machine effect, the song just sounds like you shoved a crowbar into a blender and tried to blend it.

Two Vocaloids might work better. Hatsune Miku has perfect pitch singing, and I suck of course. If we could use Gakupo as the other singer, this rendition would sound amazing.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I am actually forced to sing farther away from the microphone, and sound travels very slowly compared to light, so therefore my voice is slightly delayed compared to the Vocaloid's voice.
Sound doesn't travel that slowly. Unless you're 100m or more away from the microphone, there wouldn't be a noticable difference.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:14 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Yeah you should maybe go with another Vocaloid.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Not anymore
Think about it:

Speed of sound = 300 meters per second

If I stand 10 meters away from my recording device, that takes 1/30th of a second to get there.
The human ear is so powerful, that even a delay of 1/30 or even 1/100th is still noticeable.

Also, because Miku kinda sucks I will need to get a Gumi and a Gakupo now. Maybe Luka can help too.

If I use another person's human voice, I need to make it soft. Because I speak way too loudly and it's really kind of a piss cutter annoyance.
Two people singing clashes, especially if the voice I use has different pitches than Miku's pitches. And Miku is a freaking digital violin, so her singing is exact. Human singing is rarely exact.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Think about it:

If I stand 10 meters away from my recording device, that takes 1/30th of a second to get there.
The human ear is so powerful, that even a delay of 1/30 or even 1/100th is still noticeable.

Also, because Miku kinda sucks I will need to get a Gumi and a Gakupo now. Maybe Luka can help too.
10 meters is still a very long distance. And really if you have a delay, you should just sync the tracks so that the delay isn't there.

If you're going to be doing things where you sing, I really would like to see you put more effort in. You had similar problems in your "Nicalis Style" video, mostly because of lazy/sloppy editing (and performance too, I guess).

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Carrotlord said:
Think about it:

Yet Another Stupid Made-Up Excuse (TM)

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Not anymore
Examples of solo singing (without BGM):

I totally forgot about Nicalis style.

Edit: Replaced OP video with a solo video.

I still suck at singing though, so whatever...

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Been here way too long...
If you like singing, take some lessons. Or practice your heart out at home if you don't want to take lessons for some reason. Some people seem to have the misconception that having the equipment for an art form gives you a fair shot at it. Having a piano doesn't make you a pianist, having a paintbrush doesn't make you a painter, and having a voice doesn't make you a singer. Like an instrument or a brush, you have to learn to use your voice, which is not a short or easy process. When you're just starting out, you're not going to be very good, which is obviously fine, but don't expect critical acclaim for your videos. Or even constructive criticism, apparently.

Although I can't really blame people for that, since we don't know anything about singing. Find a better place to share, I guess. Maybe somewhere everyone doesn't hate you.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Not anymore
I didn't expect acclaim at all. I wanted criticism. I got the criticism - it is a bad idea to duet with a Vocaloid character.

Yeah, I expected singing to teach me something about music theory. Unfortunately, singing does not teach you music theory. If you want to study music theory, you should actually just go study it, instead of attempting to pretend you know it by singing songs.

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:35 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Carrotlord said:
I got the criticism - it is a bad idea to duet with a Vocaloid character.

Yeah, I expected singing to teach me something about music theory. Unfortunately, singing does not teach you music theory. If you want to study music theory, you should actually just go study it, instead of attempting to pretend you know it by singing songs.
As for singing with a Vocalid character, you DO NOT SIMPLY sing with a Vocaloid character. Argh.

But yeah, learning how to sing does not imply learning music theory at the same time, and it applies vice versa; learning music theory does not help you learn how to sing. Although, the latter might be sometimes helpful for better singing -- learning music theory by other means, that is.

As for me, I was exposed to a lot of music theory materials when I was young (pretty much young...about 4 or 5), most of them are software. I rarely read back then. At least, for now I had grasp the comparably intermediate workings of music theory.

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:01 AM
Not anymore
Because that's how "Curly Brace" was singing the original song.
Or, if you're talking about Lines of Code, that's how Paul Tawfik (a Computer Science major) sang the song.

If you don't want the pauses, go check out the Epic Rap Battle cover. It won't be as good as the original, because there is really nothing better than two guys, one person dressed up as Steve Jobs, the other as Bill Gates, attempting to sing a rap battle against each other.

EDIT:
The "Original" Jobs vs Gates Rap Battle

Some of you might get addicted to this rap battle.

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:13 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
So I have a couple of suggestions.

Suggestion number one; Don't

Suggestion number two; No

Suggestion number three; Why? That's not even a suggestion even.

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Not anymore
Don't what? Don't no?

Yeah, I guess you don't know at all.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Since matt was a little vague, I'll just try to make things clear here:

Don't sing. Ever. Please.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
A little? What else on the fucking planet could I have been taking about?

I'm growing impatient.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Not anymore
Okay, GIR you can insult my mod, but you cannot do that to my singing.

GIR, you used to suck at art. BAD. You really sucked at drawing art.
But now, you're fucking awesome? Practice.

I intended to do the same with a different artform. I will keep doing this, believe it or not.
I just won't post on this forum.

I am sick and tired of morons who do crap on YouTube, and get famous for Autotune.
Nobody needs autotune. Rockleetist uses Autotune? Ha, she doesn't need it.
Ashe uses Autotune? He might not realize it, but the Autotune probably makes his
voice sound much worse.

The only thing more beautiful than a human voice is absolutely nothing.
Nothing, not even you GIR. Not Matt either.

You have no right to say stop singing. You have every right to say "you fucking suck",
which may be true, but you have no right to say "stop trying. stop practicing forever".

If I did that, I would not be Mr. Carrot.

I would be a sad loser.

Did I give up on my mod because I suck at modding? No. I'm still practicing with the Witching Hour.
Do I "give up" on things? Did I give up on OllyDbg because it was too hard to use?

No, I made the Doukutsu Assembler. Once in Python, then in Java. GIR, you've used that program
to mod WTF Story. At least once or twice. I actually made a program that GIR has used before.
Who the hell can say they've done that?
(besides Wistil with CE, Noxid with BL, and similar cool people)

I don't give up on crap, because life is too short to give up on crap. If everyone gave up on crap,
humans would be called monkeys.

I believe humans are insane. Humans are the most mentally insane creatures of all the animals
on this planet.

What OTHER animal has the motivation to create a rocket to the moon?
What OTHER animal has the ability to send a robotic probe to take pictures of Pluto?
What OTHER animal has invented a general purpose Turing Machine? The modern computer?

We humans are nuts because we never give up. Ever. All animals give up, and that's why most
animals only have a tiny bit of technology.

We humans are so cool, that we do not need to "adapt to mother nature".
Instead, we change the environment. Instead of adapting, we force mother nature to ADAPT TO US.
That's how ARROGANT humans are. That's how HIGHLY humans think of themselves.

One day, humans will be Gods. All of them.

The human being is the coolest animal I have ever seen in my life. Can a dolphin invent a spacecraft?
Can a monkey invent Dropbox? No way.

The scientific name for our species is homo sapiens.
That translates to wise human.
We are not "strong humans", "tall humans", "fast humans", or "resourceful humans".
We just call ourselves geniuses, because compared to the rest of the animal kingdom, all of us
are Stephen Hawking man.

And that's why, neither of you can tell me what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.