Cave Story - 4.13th Ending (1.0.1)

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yes baka, I am being mean. I tried to surface all of the negative emotions within you that I could. I allowed you a chance to kill everyone you could dream of.
You took that chance.
You killed them.
You monster.

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I have a feeling half of that is sarcasm, because you get no benefit from surfacing negative emotions in me and humans are very benefit-driven creatures. Or so I've read.
But, I did not kill them. I merely went through the situations which were set up by you and watched them die because I wasn't able to protect them. Bit of a difference there, I guess?
Also there's this hunch I have that you made this mod to show how much the original Cave Story relies on lucky situations. Is this true to any extent?
I look forward to your advice and forgiveness if I have erred in writing any part of this post. Thank you.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Professional Whatever
I get plenty, why do you think I made this and ama?
And you may not have killed them by your own hands, but you controlled the player and watched as he caused their deaths. The source doesn't matter. You made Quote pick up that lucky charm, and sealed his and your own fate as a harbinger of darkness.
Are you satisfied, reaper?

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Doors said:
I get plenty, why do you think I made this and ama?
And you may not have killed them by your own hands, but you controlled the player and watched as he caused their deaths. The source doesn't matter. You made Quote pick up that lucky charm, and sealed his and your own fate as a harbinger of darkness.
Are you satisfied, reaper?
What is this 'plenty' that you get? Is it enjoyable to pin frivolous blame on people? I should take note of this for future reference. (Note that I'm not trying to sound like you're a terrible meanie or anything, so if it comes out sounding like that I'm really very sorry.)
Also I don't think there's much point in extending this discussion much longer. I'm sorry for letting it drag out like this.

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:26 PM
I guess I just don't know much about people and I should probably leave it at that. Sorry.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:06 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Probably the darkest thing I've ever played. This rivals even the "Demonic Sacrifice" ending to Dreams of Reality 2.

Brilliant job. Just two things:
I agree that Quote should have died. It would have further subtracted from the already negative mood.

Also, I feel like there should be more of a choice and/or a less blatant option about picking up the charm. As with the original game, the focus should be on the normal ending. The other endings should be HEAVILY hinted at during the course of the normal ending. As I see it, mods that add or alter endings to the original Cave Story should be playable from the standpoint of new players to the game. Someone should be able to pick up the game with the mod and go through it normally. However, obtaining the charm in this mod is irresistible. Any new player would pick it up without thinking. This means they'd get the 4.13th ending before they get the normal ending. I personally believe that a mod should make it so that a new player would go through the game without knowing about the other endings [including the modded ending]. Then they might stumble upon or search for the other endings. As such, if I had been you, I would have made the entrance to the Secret Cave behind a few of those special blocks that you can walk behind on the ledge to the right of the tiger head that leads to the inventor's hut. [Then again, if I were you I'd have no clue where to start on this mod, since I suck at TSC]. This would be less obvious and unless a new player stumbled in there by accident, they'd progress through the game as normal.
Nevertheless, this was a fantastic mod and I commend you on your work. My apologies for the wall of text. 9.5/10

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:39 PM
Professional Whatever
Spoiler tags are important.
I don't believe in creating a complex sequence of events to find a new ending. If you have to search the internet in order to find content that isn't meant to be hidden to most, then the setup is not done well. See the original's best ending. However, yes, this is more focused towards people who have already played through cave story. The vanilla content is an afterthought in this mod. If you've come here to download this mod, I'm almost positive you've already played through cave story.
If I made it any clearer that obtaining the charm would lock you into a different ending path, I feel that I would be ruining the game's atmosphere. I don't want to have to spell it out to the player. And the nature of the ending does not allow me to give you any opportunities for switching out of the ending. But maybe I'll take another look and see if I can make it more friendly to new players? Who knows. Maybe after the holidays.

And I don't think Quote dying is such a good idea. That would make Quote a victim, and by extension, the player (you) can be seen as a victim. My goal was to make the player feel remorse for his or her actions, and I feel that by letting Quote survive, the idea is enhanced.
Most importantly though, thanks for playing and for the feedback. I enjoy these small, meaningful projects.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:30 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Doors said:
And I don't think Quote dying is such a good idea. That would make Quote a victim, and by extension, the player (you) can be seen as a victim. My goal was to make the player feel remorse for his or her actions, and I feel that by letting Quote survive, the idea is enhanced.
It's just an idea, but maybe after each event where things go wrong, such as Jenka being killed by the doctor, you could give the player an option to discard the rabbit foot? I think the idea of having the choice to get rid of the rabbit foot would reinforce the idea that the player is responsible for all of the deaths that have happened.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:36 AM
Professional Whatever
Yeah but
Then you need to be locked into the ending because reasons
There's no opportunity after the trigger for me to give an option for that