Cave Story 3D graphics for Cave Story+?

May 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
We got the awesome remastered songs so why not also give us the 3D remastered graphics! I feel like I want to replay cave story. But I don't have a 3DS but I got a 1500$ pc. I at least want to put it to good use!

May 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Well, to be honest, the graphics are the major selling point of the 3ds version, so it would probably be shooting themselves in the foot to use those graphics in CS+.

Also, I have a feeling that it's not as simple as just plugging in graphics due to CS3D's polygonal textures and whatnot. I'm not sure it's possible.

May 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You're joking right

"Hey, it's easy, they already did the hard part! You just take the graphics and put em' in the old game and Shazamo, Three-Dee!"

May 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
This wouldn't work for many reasons, as Noxid stated, you can't just put 3D graphics into a 2D game and I doubt NiCALiS would do this anyway because, if I'm not mistaken there are still certain achievements that are broken in CS+ and they would lose money from doing this. There are so many other reasons why this is not possible but I don't want to nag.

Besides, in my opinion, the 3D graphics aren't that good anyway the 2D sprites suit the game much better.

May 13, 2013 at 9:59 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
The sprites don't make themselves, 'ya know?

NiCaLiS would have to create brand new 3D models for the game, re-work some coding cues for them, then decide where the hit detection and debugging should go.

May 14, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
And we already know Nicalis can't 3D model foreground objects for shit. Textures are hard.

May 27, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Nicalis would probably have to re-write the WHOLE CS+ graphics engine for 3D Graphics Compatibility. Am I right, Cause the current version is only formatted for 2D Graphics.

EDIT: Changed WHOLE CS+ ENGINE to WHOLE CS+ GRAPHICS ENGINE