It's only a mod, please do not calling games mods, because that is very rude :/

Mod = Modification
Game = Original - Created by yourself

May 1, 2008 at 12:31 AM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't get how it is rude.

And your explanation makes no sense.

A game indeed is something original you created. But the same applies to modifications to that same game. Modding is the changing of a great game with your own ideas thus making it original.

Of course credits should go to the maker of the game for making the base of a modification in the first place, but credits should also go to the modder of the game for changing it with his own original ideas.

May 1, 2008 at 12:42 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Well it's still a game- you play it. It's just a modded game. The only issue I see is if the modder gets too much credit or whatnot, but in technical terms... yeah, what you play is a (modded) game, but what the modder did is a mod... so I guess it depends on the context. You couldn't say "your game" with "your" being the modder, in a strict sense, but I suppose you could say "I played the game and it's fun..."?

Meh. :\

May 1, 2008 at 1:15 AM
Hoxtilicious
Pronouns: he/him
MetaSeraphim said:
And your explanation makes no sense.

I don't think you quite get it.

MetaSeraphim said:
Modding is the changing of a great game with your own ideas thus making it original.

A mod is never original, if you be very clear, you would say: "A mod is a total rip-off of a game." Because you didn't created the game, that's why you can't call it a game (your game), which means you made it entire by yourself, meaning you're disrespectul towards the author.

May 1, 2008 at 2:49 AM
/end
S. P. Gardebiter said:
I don't think you quite get it.

A mod is never original, if you be very clear, you would say: "A mod is a total rip-off of a game." Because you didn't created the game, that's why you can't call it a game (your game), which means you made it entire by yourself, meaning you're disrespectul towards the author.

No, I don't think you quite get it.

A mod is indeed original, the only thing that isn't original is the bases of the mod itself.

A good majority of ideas that go into a mod were thought up by the person making the mod. They didn't rip them from the author's mind.

We can argue about this for years and never make any progress, or we can just agree to disagree and call it even. Because as it is now in my eyes you're wrong and in your eyes I am wrong. I am still going to call it a game at the end of the day no matter what you say.

May 1, 2008 at 2:51 AM
/end
JacobX891 said:
You suck.
I don't like you.

onoes, gammer (i did that on purpose btw) mistakes.

May 1, 2008 at 3:02 AM
Hoxtilicious
It doesn't matter who gets it and whatnot.

Mod = Not game.
Game = Original, made by yourself, the entire one.

Everyone is calling it a mod, lookup wikipedia.

MetaSeraphim said:
I am still going to call it a game at the end of the day no matter what you say.

In other ways you give a shit? :p

May 1, 2008 at 3:14 AM
/end
JacobX891 said:
Oh no, we have another xristosx...

I don't know if that is supposed to be an insult or not, so I'll take it as a complement. :D

S. P. Gardebiter said:
In other ways you give a shit? :p

In other words you give too much of a shit about such a silly thing? :D

May 1, 2008 at 3:28 AM
Hoxtilicious
Its not silly, since its about respecting someones work too and since you don't I should ignore you :p

May 1, 2008 at 3:34 AM
/end
Well, if Pixel tells me that by calling a mod of CaveStory a game is disrespecting then I will stop. Otherwise if it's on my computer and I can play it I'm going to call it a game.

May 1, 2008 at 3:46 AM
Hoxtilicious
Still this is my creation and it is a MOD, not a game. Learn the difference, then come back and play again :p

May 1, 2008 at 5:19 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
JacobX891 said:
Oh no, we have another xristosx...
lol have a look at my sig

MetaSeraphim said:
Well, if Pixel tells me that by calling a mod of CaveStory a game is disrespecting then I will stop. Otherwise if it's on my computer and I can play it I'm going to call it a game.
diph.php

MS, what you're doing is just digging your own grave. We all know that SP-san did make this Cave Story "2" thing. And you called it a game, claiming it to be the right thing 'cause he/she made up the whole thing except he uses some elements of the original game as this thing's base. But most of us here disagree with that, we call 'em a MOD, a modification.
You say you're standing by your opinion unless the creator of the original asks you not to. Why? It's because you know that he's the true right to be called the game's maker. In this case, you're indirectly agreeing that only Cave Story itself is the real game. And if you're going to just listen to the creator's demand, why don't you follow SP-san's? He's obviously this mod's creator. This MOD's creator. That's what he's been telling you. This Cave Story "2" is strictly a f*-ing MOD!! You n00b don't disobey the mod creator's demand or else don't play his/her mod!!!!

Sorry for my weird English MOD!!!

May 1, 2008 at 5:31 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Chapter 2:

If you say that this thing's a game, are you gonna call each of most of everything here, and here and here and here and here and here (and each of those in other sites, which could be thousands of them) a game?
Then how about the originally ultimate game, Cave Story by Pixel-sama? are you going to put it in the same level as these MODS!!! ? You're going to deny his fame? You? A nobody?

No offense, dude. Just listen to SP-san and agree that this thing, the Cave Story "2" is a mod.

May 1, 2008 at 6:35 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
MetaSeraphim said:

Oh lol please have some common sense.

You don't need someone to tell you what to do and then you'll believe it.

May 1, 2008 at 6:38 AM
/end
freezit4 you win because of Phoenix Wright, that's all.

If you say that then how does Garde know whether or not calling a Mod a game is disrespecting to the creater, he doesn't.

Anyway, I just going to call both "games" and mods" works of art so no one can complain. =P

May 1, 2008 at 5:17 PM
Hoxtilicious
MetaSeraphim said:
If you say that then how does Garde know whether or not calling a Mod a game is disrespecting to the creater, he doesn't.

In actuality what has been posted may be more correctly attributed to the poster, rather than myself.

May 1, 2008 at 8:05 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
While I take no sides on the difference between the usages of the terms, I personally think it a bit pointless for Garde to open fire everytime someone lets the word "game" slip. It's both rude and undesirable :p

May 2, 2008 at 8:31 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
S. P. Gardebiter said:
In actuality what has been posted may be more correctly attributed to the poster, rather than myself.
:p

@Roon:
I think it's just that thing called "right". In our opinion, calling a mod a game is kind of disrespectful to the real game maker.

May 2, 2008 at 8:42 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Ah now I get it

MetaSeraphim said:
It's our my belief, that it is disrespectful to the creator that you call a mod a game. Why? Because of ethics. We respect others, and their rights. Pixel made the game in around five years you know? And mods, can be done in just months I guess. Correct me if I'm wrong
This is possible as the bases are all Pix's work. He made it all (or with aid) and we're using it and we should pay even the least respect for his work.
Offtopic...... is wrong T_T

Back