Cave Johnson Story

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOTdqZKrBZ8
Cave Johnson Story Screenshot 1.jpg Intro Cutscene
Cave Johnson Story Screenshot 2.jpg I'M GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN (with the Lemons)!
Cave Johnson Story Screenshot 3.jpg Cave with the .357 Magnum

A mod I'm currently developing: Cave Johnson Story!

More will be shown in my later videos on the tube and on this thread as development progresses. If anyone is interested in helping me make this, just send me a message or comment on this thread saying so. I am looking for people who have experience modding Cave Story and also people who are good at making maps in Cave Editor and/or good storywriters.

The story so far: In late 1943, Cave Johnson, founder and president of Aperture Fixtures, discovered a large isolated salt mine in Upper Michigan. He thinks it would be a perfect headquarters for Aperture Fixtures, but first he must find the landowner and clear the salt mine from the evils inside...

Yeah, the story is still in development. Basically you play as Cave Johnson as you explore and clear out the salt mine. I want to try to keep the story true to the Portal 2 timeline, which means there won't be any Portal Guns or really advanced technology. There will be slaves in the salt mine (they're replacing the Mimigas), and that's where Cave meets Caroline. I have many more ideas for the story, but I don't really want to spoil it to the masses ;)

Here's the list of things I have so far:

Characters:
Cave Johnson
Caroline

Confirmed Weapons:
.357 Magnum (Polar Star)
The Thompson (Machine Gun)
Combustible Lemon Launcher (Fireball, but with Lemons inside the flames)
Pickaxe (Blade)

Thanks for reading! :)

Attachments

• Title.bmp
    45.1 KB · Views: 8
Jun 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I will gladly help with any scripting that needs to be done. Just contact me when you need some help.

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Tpcool said:
I will gladly help with any scripting that needs to be done. Just contact me when you need some help.
Thank you! I will contact you later for more info.

Tpcool said:
I can't figure out how to send a personal message. How can I send a personal message to you?

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
There should be a button that says "Send me a message" next to the "Add me as a friend" button.

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Tpcool said:
There should be a button that says "Send me a message" next to the "Add me as a friend" button.
Nope, I don't see it next to the friend button

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Ah... I believe you need a certain amount of posts to PM. Do you have a Skype?

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
This sounds interesting! I hope to see a demo soon!

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Tpcool said:
Ah... I believe you need a certain amount of posts to PM. Do you have a Skype?
Yes I do. My username is neogeokid. Should have a pokemon called Typhlosion as an avatar

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:51 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I swear, I have this weird sense of deja vu, as I think there was a mod thread exactly like this one :I

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ultimate Nerd-meister said:
I swear, I have this weird sense of deja vu, as I think there was a mod thread exactly like this one :I
There might have been, but I have not seen any come into fruition.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Jun 20, 2013 at 1:32 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Science isn't about "why".
It's about "WHY NOT".

Anyway, this sounds awesome. But doesn't LOOK awesome. We don't really have any information on what you're doing with this currently. Protips: screenshots, a video that isn't just... THAT. And have you really started on the mod itself yet? We want to know if this is getting hard work shoved down it's throat. I will be happy to play (and critisize) this when it gets a demo, but telling a story and asking for help with no real development or screenshots, I'm questioning this a bit. Sorry if I seem like a dick, I'm just wondering how this is going and I'm into this kind of stuff. The idea is great, though.

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:40 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
CookedChef said:
Science isn't about "why".
It's about "WHY NOT".

Anyway, this sounds awesome. But doesn't LOOK awesome. We don't really have any information on what you're doing with this currently. Protips: screenshots, a video that isn't just... THAT. And have you really started on the mod itself yet? We want to know if this is getting hard work shoved down it's throat. I will be happy to play (and critisize) this when it gets a demo, but telling a story and asking for help with no real development or screenshots, I'm questioning this a bit. Sorry if I seem like a dick, I'm just wondering how this is going and I'm into this kind of stuff. The idea is great, though.
The only reason why I don't have a video of it is that I don't have any video recording software on my PC. I could take screenshots though...

Yes I started this mod over a month ago, and there is some stuff that is finished. For one, I made that title myself. Cave Johnson's sprite is fully implemented in the game, and I've been working on the intro scene this whole day. Hard work is getting shoved down it's throat. It just takes time.

Also, this is the mod idea and development section, for mods that don't have a demo or video. Apology accepted, but don't question the development just cause I don't have more to show you.

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
neogeokid said:
The only reason why I don't have a video of it is that I don't have any video recording software on my PC. I could take screenshots though...

Yes I started this mod over a month ago, and there is some stuff that is finished. Cave Johnson's sprite is fully implemented in the game, and I've been working on the intro scene this whole day. Hard work is getting shoved down it's throat. It just takes time.
That's great! I shall be awaiting it's arival, so I can destro- I mean review it. C:
I'm a Portal nut, so this caught my intrest in about 2.755418363826405 seconds.

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
CookedChef said:
That's great! I shall be awaiting it's arival, so I can destro- I mean review it. C:
I'm a Portal nut, so this caught my intrest in about 2.755418363826405 seconds.
Oh nice, I was hoping to get the Portal fans attention here C:

So yeah, I'll be working on this all summer. And for you, a screenshot just got posted in the original post. Enjoy!

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
The eyes kinda don't look like eyes at the moment, so I fiddled around with them a bit based on what I could do with the jay-peg (original on the left):
diph.php

See if you like any of these better, or if they give you any ideas about how to make him look less like a Cylon Johnson :toroko2:

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Professional Whatever
In my opinion the one on the far right looks the most natural.

Jun 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
DoubleThink said:
The eyes kinda don't look like eyes at the moment, so I fiddled around with them a bit based on what I could do with the jay-peg (original on the left):
diph.php

See if you like any of these better, or if they give you any ideas about how to make him look less like a Cylon Johnson :toroko2:
While creating Cave, I wasn't really sure what eyes to use. But I do have to agree, the one's on the far right look so much better. I'll edit it again and see how it looks. Thanks for your input!

Okay now I'm torn. I can't decide between the second one or the last one....what do you all think?

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Professional Whatever
Last one. The second one's eyes are more disproportionate.