bugged sprites on windows 11 (freeware version)

Aug 3, 2023 at 2:14 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I decided to finally try cave story, and I noticed a weird oddity. Certain sprites show a lot more than they should, for example hearts begin showing missiles when they are flashing. a similar thing happens with the level 3 bladeScreenshot 2023-08-02 201246.png

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 10:23 AM
Brayconn Online
Modding Community Discord Moderator
CSE Discord Moderator
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I assume, since you're on Windows 11, that you're using the "Cave Story DXGL fix (Windows 11 transparency fix)" from the downloads page to stop all the black boxes around npcs? If so, then you're stuck with that weird sprite garbage.
We still aren't sure what causes the black boxes around npcs in the first place, so if you want to help us figure it out, I'd recommend joining the CSMC Discord server and/or trying some of the test exes from here and letting us know what they do.

...Alternatively, if you just downloaded that fix preemptively and the game works fine without it, then uh... delete ddraw.dll and dxgl.ini I guess :greydroll:

Oct 11, 2023 at 9:22 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
the way I was able to fix the black boxes is by launching in full screen 32bit or any windowed options instead of regular fullscreen.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 11:50 PM
Brayconn Online
Modding Community Discord Moderator
CSE Discord Moderator
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
There have been a few reports about switching from fullscreen to windowed (or vice versa) fixing the problem, but it's by no means a 100% solution.
In fact, in the time since my last post there has been a more reliable solution discovered: the DDrawCompat dll (just put it next to your doukutsu.exe).
I haven't seen too many people experiment with it, but the ones that have haven't reported any random garbage graphics like with the DXGL dll, so here's hoping that it's a bug free solution.