BLISS

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:46 AM
"Huzzah!"
I always forget to post my mods on the forums. Whoops?

Bliss is a Glyph-inspired mod made by me, with help from RareBeeph, 123a, and periwinkle.
(Glyph is a celeste mod, see here.)

The mod is pretty long, and it was made in only 4-5 days give or take. It has a grand total of ~50 screens of gameplay. (80 technically).

There are new mechanics, too. Jump Refills and Booster Refills.

Jump Refills give you an extra jump until you touch the ground. They are a "blue up-arrow" looking thing. Try pressing jump again after you touch it!

Booster Refills give you max booster fuel upon touch, instead of having to touch the ground.

I tried my best to make it fun and stuff. I'm really sorry if it's not fun to you. If you don't find it fun, please quit! This is very difficult!

At the start of the mod, there is a Golden Berry. This is a "deathless challenge"! You should really not ever grab this, especially on your first playthrough of the mod. It's ripped directly out of "Celeste".

I hope you enjoy!

1632181461358.png
1632181500879.png
1632181540616.png

Download

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 11:42 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This looks cool. It appears to have a fun, simple, colorful art style. 50-80 screens of gameplay, huh? That does sound like a long mod. I haven't played a long mod in quite a long time. I'll have to give this a go some time. Maybe this coming weekend, or perhaps some weekend in the future. Glad that you decided to post this mod here, I don't want that to go out of style.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 6:49 PM
"Huzzah!"
This looks cool. It appears to have a fun, simple, colorful art style. 50-80 screens of gameplay, huh? That does sound like a long mod. I haven't played a long mod in quite a long time. I'll have to give this a go some time. Maybe this coming weekend, or perhaps some weekend in the future. Glad that you decided to post this mod here, I don't want that to do out of style.
Forgot to respond to this (My bad!)

It'll probably take around 45 mins to 2+ hours to clear casually, depending on your skill level, really.

It's pretty long to play casually, and the speedrun is around 10~ minutes.

Hope you have fun with my mod!

Oct 19, 2021 at 5:03 AM
Based Member
All right, so I played the mod, and I enjoyed it.

This mod was very creative in its design, both visually and in gameplay. The mechanics are easy to decipher and adapt to, and the platforming is well-designed. Throughout most of the mod, it's challenging enough that it doesn't feel like a breeze, but not so frustrating that you don't feel like you're getting anywhere after a few tries. The music had a really nice polish and feel to it that fit the tone of the mod well. I don't know which of the songs are original and which are remixes of existing songs, with the exception of that one song near the end that I recognize from Super Smash Brothers Melee.

The style of the mod was pronounced from the beginning. The main menu was very appealing. It was simple and clean, yet had its own unique style that really stood out at the beginning. I also liked the main menu music a lot. I listened to the music for a bit before starting a new game.

You mentioned that this game was inspired by Glyph. I just looked that game up, and I don't see a huge connection between that game and this mod. What this mod does remind me a lot of, though, is Celeste. The manner in which you have to carefully strategize each jump and develop the quick muscle memory to overcome each room is a lot like the gameplay of Celeste, except with not as many bells and whistles.

The mechanic of the different dimensions, or as you call them in the game, "Seasons," is really cool. Switching back and forth between different dimensions within the same room to access different areas or resources is a really neat mechanic that I don't see very often in games, and this mod did it really well. The only other game I can think of off the top of my head that does something like this is Sonic CD, except in that case, travelling in time is somewhat of a hassle. I especially liked the way you transitioned into the game's final act. The removal of the booster, darkened scenery, and remix of "quiet" all together did a really effective job of showing the player that you meant business.

That was a pretty cool effect where it started going into slow motion as you approached the top of the final area. At first I thought that the framerate was suffering because the mod was getting resource-intensive, like computing the state of a bunch of arrows that had just been utilized, but that still didn't make sense, because that shouldn't be a very CPU-intensive task. And that would be absurd for my Intel Core i9 10th gen computer to be brought to its knees over something simple like that. But then as I progressed further, I realized it was by design that the framerate was lowering, so that was an interesting effect.

Not sure if you're still making changes to this mod, but I thought I'd give some feedback on some things that I think you could improve on:

I mentioned that I didn't feel as if this mod is so hard to the point of being frustrating. Well, that's true except for that one stretch that had you going through like 5 different rooms in one spurt in the air with the booster 2.0 without any chance to stop and rest. I was probably stuck on that area for a good hour-and-a-half, and was starting to consider hacking the game to progress, but I decided to stick it out just a bit longer, and finally managed to get past that area without hacking the game. What made that part so punishing was not just that you weren't able to stop and rest/save in between, but also that you had to constantly go side-to-side up/down very rapidly in just the right combination, aligning yourself correctly there was extremely easy to mess up, and you had to very quickly re-orient yourself each time you transitioned into a new room, which was very hard to do since you were gonna get zapped if you didn't immediately make the right move upon switching seasons. Needless to say, I was relieved that the rest of the game ended up not being that hard. While there's nothing inherently wrong with making a mod hard, that one particular part was significantly harder than the rest of the game. And since the final area was a lot easier, it ended up feeling less climactic. It might make sense to make that booster 2.0 part easier by adding an area where you can stop and rest, just so that you aren't forced to stay in the air like that for 5 rooms in a row.

I thought that the mechanic of switching between seasons like dimensions was pretty cool, but I felt the execution with the music could have been better. I thought it was really cool how it changed the music when I first stepped in, but then when I went back into the other dimension, the music didn't change back. It would have been really cool if the music continually switched along with the inter-dimensional travel.

There was no "open chest" sound effect when opening the chest that contains the Booster 0.8. I didn't pay super close attention for the booster 0.8 one, but for the booster 2.0 chest, not only did it not play the "open chest" sound effect, but as it says "Opened the chest," it doesn't do the open chest animation. It waited to do this until equipping the booster. Not sure if this was on purpose, but it felt jarring, since this is different from the style of Cave Story.

Also, there was a typo after getting the booster 2.0. It said "Press your =Jump= button in air to go in any direction!"

Overall, fun mod. I enjoyed playing through it once, but I don't think I'd be interested in trying any of the special challenges.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 11:07 AM
"Huzzah!"
All right, so I played the mod, and I enjoyed it.

This mod was very creative in its design, both visually and in gameplay. The mechanics are easy to decipher and adapt to, and the platforming is well-designed. Throughout most of the mod, it's challenging enough that it doesn't feel like a breeze, but not so frustrating that you don't feel like you're getting anywhere after a few tries. The music had a really nice polish and feel to it that fit the tone of the mod well. I don't know which of the songs are original and which are remixes of existing songs, with the exception of that one song near the end that I recognize from Super Smash Brothers Melee.

The style of the mod was pronounced from the beginning. The main menu was very appealing. It was simple and clean, yet had its own unique style that really stood out at the beginning. I also liked the main menu music a lot. I listened to the music for a bit before starting a new game.

You mentioned that this game was inspired by Glyph. I just looked that game up, and I don't see a huge connection between that game and this mod. What this mod does remind me a lot of, though, is Celeste. The manner in which you have to carefully strategize each jump and develop the quick muscle memory to overcome each room is a lot like the gameplay of Celeste, except with not as many bells and whistles.

The mechanic of the different dimensions, or as you call them in the game, "Seasons," is really cool. Switching back and forth between different dimensions within the same room to access different areas or resources is a really neat mechanic that I don't see very often in games, and this mod did it really well. The only other game I can think of off the top of my head that does something like this is Sonic CD, except in that case, travelling in time is somewhat of a hassle. I especially liked the way you transitioned into the game's final act. The removal of the booster, darkened scenery, and remix of "quiet" all together did a really effective job of showing the player that you meant business.

That was a pretty cool effect where it started going into slow motion as you approached the top of the final area. At first I thought that the framerate was suffering because the mod was getting resource-intensive, like computing the state of a bunch of arrows that had just been utilized, but that still didn't make sense, because that shouldn't be a very CPU-intensive task. And that would be absurd for my Intel Core i9 10th gen computer to be brought to its knees over something simple like that. But then as I progressed further, I realized it was by design that the framerate was lowering, so that was an interesting effect.

Not sure if you're still making changes to this mod, but I thought I'd give some feedback on some things that I think you could improve on:

I mentioned that I didn't feel as if this mod is so hard to the point of being frustrating. Well, that's true except for that one stretch that had you going through like 5 different rooms in one spurt in the air with the booster 2.0 without any chance to stop and rest. I was probably stuck on that area for a good hour-and-a-half, and was starting to consider hacking the game to progress, but I decided to stick it out just a bit longer, and finally managed to get past that area without hacking the game. What made that part so punishing was not just that you weren't able to stop and rest/save in between, but also that you had to constantly go side-to-side up/down very rapidly in just the right combination, aligning yourself correctly there was extremely easy to mess up, and you had to very quickly re-orient yourself each time your transitioned into a new room, which was very hard to do since you were gonna get zapped if you didn't immediately make the right move upon switching seasons. Needless to say, I was relieved that the rest of the game ended up not being that hard. While there's nothing inherently wrong with making a mod hard, that one particular part was significantly harder than the rest of the game. And since the final area was a lot easier, it ended up feeling less climactic. It might make sense to make that booster 2.0 part easier by adding an area where you can stop and rest, just so that you aren't forced to stay in the air like that for 5 rooms in a row.

I thought that the mechanic of switching between seasons like dimensions was pretty cool, but I felt the execution with the music could have been better. I thought it was really cool how it changed the music when I first stepped in, but then when I went back into the other dimension, the music didn't change back. It would have been really cool if the music continually switched along with the inter-dimensional travel.

There was no "open chest" sound effect when opening the chest that contains the Booster 0.8. I didn't pay super close attention for the booster 0.8 one, but for the booster 2.0 chest, not only did it not play the "open chest" sound effect, but as it says "Opened the chest," it doesn't do the open chest animation. It waited to do this until equipping the booster. Not sure if this was on purpose, but it felt jarring, since this is different from the style of Cave Story.

Also, there was a typo after getting the booster 2.0. It said "Press your =Jump= button in air to go in any direction!"

Overall, fun mod. I enjoyed playing through it once, but I don't think I'd be interested in trying any of the special challenges.
Thank you for playing it :)
"Glyph" is actually a mod *for* Celeste, which is what this is heavily based off of (just with my own spin for cave story).

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'll take the feedback into consideration, thank you!

Oct 19, 2021 at 5:06 PM
Based Member
"Glyph" is actually a mod *for* Celeste, which is what this is heavily based off of (just with my own spin for cave story).
Oh, okay, that makes a lot more sense. When I searched "Glyph Game" on Youtube, I came up with this, which didn't seem very connected. It makes sense that I would get confused by something like that though, because I haven't actually played Celeste myself and am not familiar at all with the modding community, I've just seen gameplay and watched some reviews of Celeste.

Nov 17, 2021 at 1:40 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh, okay, that makes a lot more sense. When I searched "Glyph Game" on Youtube, I came up with this, which didn't seem very connected. It makes sense that I would get confused by something like that though, because I haven't actually played Celeste myself and am not familiar at all with the modding community, I've just seen gameplay and watched some reviews of Celeste.
celeste modding is a Massive pain in the arserear from personal experience, not fun to make levels for and most of the mods I've played from there are way above what I can cope with when it comes to difficulty (way beyond the levels of some of the harder levels ingame, which even then really pushes it for me)