Audacity Recording Skips

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:03 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Hey everyone, it's that time again when someone gets some probably-easy-to-fix-but-the-member's-just-too-stupid-to-figure-out-why problems with recording or playing audio.
In my case, I've been having some recent issues with recording stereo-mix audio via Audacity.
I record the audio from another program, which, in this case is Mixcraft 6, but since I doubt that's relevant, I'll just bluntly state the issue.
Every time I attempt to record the audio from some songs, there are always audio skips that occur in the recording process, that, in truth, are easily noticeable in playback in really annoying, because I can't seem to get rid of them.
A sample of the audio skips occurring
I've replayed and tried re-recording multiple times, but the audio skips always happen at the same points.
(In this case, the audio skips right before the two-second mark)
Any suggestions?

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:59 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ok, so first of all, why aren't you just exporting to a format like wav directly from Mixcraft?

Secondly, a workstation like Mixcraft is going to be cpu intensive, so it might take a good computer to record from it as it plays back.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:59 PM
"Huzzah!"
Hmm, well I know that Audacity will almost always have some variation in timing if used for recording, due to not using a proper clock. DAWs are designed to keep timing, but Audacity is not that way, which is why I never use Audacity to record anymore, but I only use it to edit, and that's how I recommend everyone uses it as well.

Can you not export from Mixcraft for some reason? Why do you even need Audacity? :/

EDIT: I just listened to the sample and realized that maybe you could try changing some settings in Mixcraft, like increasing the buffer length/size to allow for more samples. It "might" fix that. I'm saying that because of when that skip occurred was when multiple instruments suddenly came in.

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
FrozenFire said:
Can you not export from Mixcraft for some reason? Why do you even need Audacity? :/
I asked this question in this thread too, but I'm guessing that he's trying to get away with maybe using like the "trial" version of the program, which would have features such as "export" disabled.

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM
"Huzzah!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I asked this question in this thread too, but I'm guessing that he's trying to get away with maybe using like the "trial" version of the program, which would have features such as "export" disabled.
Yeah, sorry, I basically just asked the same question differently and realized that it probably wasn't necessary. But yep, I just looked up the Mixcraft trial version and that's what I expect is the reason as well.

On that note: The free version of FL Studio comes with everything, but it just won't allow the opening up previously saved projects. Meaning it has to be done all in one go, or the program must be left open until the song is finished, not turning off the computer. Export and everything works just fine. (and I know what I could say here, but please, lets not have anyone encourage pirating)

The best free method I know of is using something like ModPlug to compose your song in, then intelligently saving groups of instruments in wav format, loading them into the free version of FL Studio to add effects and to do final mix and then to master. That way you don't spend much time in FL Studio, and your project mostly remains editable, so you can make changes. And what I mean by saving groups intelligently is like saving everything that will have a reverb effect as a group, and making sure to keep stuff out of that group that you don't want to get reverb on (like a kick, usually don't want reverb on a kick). Basically, you end up with a partial mixdown of all the tracks for the purpose of adding effects and for compression; things that ModPlug cannot do.

But perhaps it just seems simple to me or others who know all these programs well?

-

But anyway, Nadojin, might I ask what this is for? Perhaps, after all this time, a CSRP3 is in order? :mrgreen:

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:56 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I'm very much with what everyone else has said here. Changing something to do with the buffer should probably fix it, but if that doesn't work, then you might want to look into this (as well as what people have said about FL studio and whatnot):
http://www.presonus.com/products/studio-one/download
Studio one free (not the trial pro version) is a DAW that has pretty much all the features that you'll need, and you can save and export and everything like that. I haven't found a feature that I wanted that I couldn't find in it yet, so hopefully you won't run into any dead ends.

I sound like some kind of advert spambot now.

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
MrLog said:
I sound like some kind of advert spambot now.
You need like at least 10+ random hyper links scattered throughout your post if you really want to post like a spambot.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
You couldn't have been more correct on that, because unfortunately I'm pretty much broke at the moment, and not to mention, I'm more using Mixcraft as a placeholder for music than anything else, really.
EDIT:
I expect this is a typical excuse from people who use the trial version, so feel free to chew me out on this.

But anyway, Nadojin, might I ask what this is for? Perhaps, after all this time, a CSRP3 is in order?
I'm really nowhere near well-acquainted with remixing music enough to participate in something like that, but to be honest it would sound nice...
(Not anything that I contribute, I mean the third remix project)