4196F6	 JMP 4196E1
4196F8	 NOP
4196F9	 NOP
4196FA	 NOP

Address Command
4196E1	 MOV EAX, DWORD PTR DS:[499C68]
4196E6	 INC DWORD PTR DS:[49E181]
4196EC	 JMP 4196FB

That's it! Every time you collect an exp crystal, you will gain +1 coin.

How to display the number of coins you collected:

Code:
PUSH (arbitrary value)
PUSH DWORD PTR DS:[49E181]
PUSH (Y value)
PUSH (X value)
CALL 40F380
ADD ESP, 10

Finally, there is a TSC command <BUY that jumps to an event if you don't have enough money. If you do have enough money, it subtracts the right amount and continues the script. Here it is: http://pastebin.com/xXstqJUh

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:51 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
This is nice, it has a lot of potential for mods.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:24 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I have GOT to use this some time.

Oct 1, 2012 at 7:55 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
o_0 someone could make a Cave Story Beta Remake With this!

Oct 1, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I bet a money system could be used to make some really creative mods. Without XP, you could create weapons like the ones in WTF Story, where they can't gain/ lose levels.

o_0 someone could make a Cave Story Beta Remake With this!
Err... just the money part of the beta. Someone might be able to recreate some of the sprites and level design with the screenshots available, but only to a certain extent.

Oct 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Not anymore
I bet a money system could be used to make some really creative mods. Without XP, you could create weapons like the ones in WTF Story, where they can't gain/ lose levels.

Err... just the money part of the beta. Someone might be able to recreate some of the sprites and level design with the screenshots available, but only to a certain extent.

You still gain XP while collecting coins.

Oct 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM
The Preacher
Carrotlord said:
You still gain XP while collecting coins.
Yeah, but you can remove that pretty easily.

It's a good idea, but this is far from being the main part of implementing a money system, since you would have to program the <BUY function, as you said, and to actually use it in the mod, and by that I mean use it *well*. The thing is, there is a maximum of 7 (6? 8? I don't recall) weapons you can have at the same time, so in order to make a money system that wouldn't be trivial, with only four or five weapons and/or items to buy, you have to create more weapons, and to find a way to recycle them (for example, by selling them).

Basically, you made about 33% of the programming, and that's cool, good job, but aside from programming there is the whole "actually using it in a good way" thing, which is pretty difficult for CS mods actually.

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Not anymore
Hiino said:
since you would have to program the <BUY function

That's super easy. Ryooutan could do it.

Being able to buy only a few weapons is better than not being able to buy anything at all.

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM
The Preacher
Carrotlord said:
Being able to buy only a few weapons is better than not being able to buy anything at all.
Oh, you think so? Well I personally believe in Chekhov's gun, and I think that adding features like a money system half-assedly without making it part of the concept isn't just not useful, it is harmful as well.
The way you see it, the only thing this feature would add is brainless grinding (either in order to get every weapon asap, in which case it is annoying for the dev, or to get a better weapon when the game is too hard on the player, in which case it is a pain for the player itself), especially since monsters respawn. There is not a single good point about buyable weapons if you don't imagine and develop a whole concept around it.
Sure, in order to refrain the grinders you can forbid them from buying some weapons too early in the game, but how would that be different from finding the weapon in the late game without having to buy anything?

To make a money system actually useful, you can force the player to pay each time he uses a refill, or to pay for his missile ammo (or even other weapons' ammo), or to pay for additional health tanks, or to pay for items such as the whimsical star... Then you have to set the prices right so that it isn't abusive nor easy-goin-- oh wait, aren't we developing an actual money system here?

That's my point, basically: as I said before, what you did is good, Carrot, but I want to warn the modders that would be interested in using that for their mod:
DON'T. Unless you have a good idea of what to do with it, more than just Cave-Story-but-weapons-have-to-be-bought mods.

About the <BUY function, yes I didn't mention it as if it was hard to do. But you still have to do it.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hiino said:
Oh, you think so? Well I personally believe in Chekhov's gun, and I think that adding features like a money system half-assedly without making it part of the concept isn't just not useful, it is harmful as well.
The way you see it, the only thing this feature would add is brainless grinding (either in order to get every weapon asap, in which case it is annoying for the dev, or to get a better weapon when the game is too hard on the player, in which case it is a pain for the player itself), especially since monsters respawn. There is not a single good point about buyable weapons if you don't imagine and develop a whole concept around it.
Sure, in order to refrain the grinders you can forbid them from buying some weapons too early in the game, but how would that be different from finding the weapon in the late game without having to buy anything?

To make a money system actually useful, you can force the player to pay each time he uses a refill, or to pay for his missile ammo (or even other weapons' ammo), or to pay for additional health tanks, or to pay for items such as the whimsical star... Then you have to set the prices right so that it isn't abusive nor easy-goin-- oh wait, aren't we developing an actual money system here?

That's my point, basically: as I said before, what you did is good, Carrot, but I want to warn the modders that would be interested in using that for their mod:
DON'T. Unless you have a good idea of what to do with it, more than just Cave-Story-but-weapons-have-to-be-bought mods.

About the <BUY function, yes I didn't mention it as if it was hard to do. But you still have to do it.

tl;dr why pixel removed it in the first place

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:42 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You could buy ammo, or items (healing, plot progressive, equipable, etc), or maybe a rest at ye olde inn of healing. This of course means that you would need a greater focus on single use items and a way to check how full your inventory is.

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Not anymore
The <BUY command:

http://pastebin.com/xXstqJUh