Are there any mods for CS+?

May 6, 2024 at 4:17 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have beaten CS+'s good ending twice, and since my PC can't run the original, I'm looking for mods compatible with CS+.

May 6, 2024 at 5:54 AM
"Huzzah!"
unfortunately, i have bad news - there are almost zero mods for CS+, due to it being an extremely limiting engine to work with compared to the original, and much more of a pain in the ass to distribute... of the ones that exist, they're challenge levels, technical showcases, or the fourth ending mod; i'm unaware of any others

also, what issues specifically does your PC have with not being able to run the original? won't launch, performance/graphical issues, incompatible OS...?

May 7, 2024 at 1:45 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
also, what issues specifically does your PC have with not being able to run the original? won't launch, performance/graphical issues, incompatible OS...?
Performance issues. The game ran so slow that it feels like agony waiting for the game to increase in FPS before running at snail's speed, starting the cycle over again. (Yes, I tried the mod launcher, and the only thing it fixed was the game's resolution, not the FPS problem.)
If I need to add, this is my OS, since my specs cannot be the problem, considering that it was able to run CS+ very easily: Windows 10

May 7, 2024 at 5:53 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I've seen other threads relating to slowdown on Windows 10, so rest assured, you're not the only one. Have you tried:
  • Changing the compatibility settings in the exe. Right-click on the .exe, select "Properties", go to the "Compatibility" tab, and configure it to run in compatibility mode for an old version like Windows XP.
  • Switching between the different full screen/windowed modes (in the DoConfig program bundled with Cave Story) to see if there's any difference.
  • Using a wrapper such as dxWnd. That's worked for me in the past for other older programs that have lagged much more than Cave Story.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 9:18 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've seen other threads relating to slowdown on Windows 10, so rest assured, you're not the only one. Have you tried:
  • Changing the compatibility settings in the exe. Right-click on the .exe, select "Properties", go to the "Compatibility" tab, and configure it to run in compatibility mode for an old version like Windows XP.
  • Switching between the different full screen/windowed modes (in the DoConfig program bundled with Cave Story) to see if there's any difference.
  • Using a wrapper such as dxWnd. That's worked for me in the past for other older programs that have lagged much more than Cave Story.
the third one worked, thanks

May 9, 2024 at 1:05 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah, so I made a tool called Plus Porter that helps port mods to CS+:

It's not a perfect tool, there are some things I'd do differently if I made the program today. I was also going to make a video tutorial going more in-depth on how to port mods to CS+, but I didn't ever get around to it, partially because there's not much demand for it. In the OP of that thread are the mods that I know have been ported and can be applied to your CS+ installation via Plus Porter.