Are the butes part of heavy press entity

Jul 3, 2006 at 10:09 PM
"Huzzah!"
if so is there any way I can take them out?

Jul 4, 2006 at 4:43 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I gave it a quick try and the butes SEEM to be created after <BOA0100 is called. (This may also be its "charging up" action..) Don't take my word for it though, I only gave it a quick try and didn't do any in-depth experimenting. There is no event on those two tiles and no commands move another event there, replace it, or alter the map on those two tiles.

It's very likely that they're part of the boss. You could probably block their exit with a solid block, but that's a workaround and not an actual solution...

Jul 4, 2006 at 5:21 PM
"Huzzah!"
no they just go right through it

Jul 4, 2006 at 6:29 PM
The Bartender
Try modifying the NPC table, in that case. You can get the offset of any NPC's flags by multiplying their ID by 2 (for instance, butes are 323 I think; 646, 0x0286 in hex.) Unset flag 0x0800 (ignores solids) and an NPC will no longer pass through solid objects.

It should be noted that enemies created inside blocks can still step out of them if the surrounding blocks are walk-throughable.

Jul 4, 2006 at 11:42 PM
"Huzzah!"
that works but after heavy press breaks through the floor they swarm out at me

the reason I wan't them gone is that I changed all the enemy sprites & so the butes that appear during the heavy press battle have scrambled sprites

Jul 5, 2006 at 12:08 AM
The Bartender
Is the exact ID of those butes 323? If that's the case, I'll see if I can find anything about them in the exe. Maybe I can find something from that point on that could shut them off or change them to another sprite.

Jul 5, 2006 at 12:32 AM
"Huzzah!"
yes it's only for the butes in the heavy press battle though

Jul 5, 2006 at 1:08 AM
The Bartender
Score.

0x007cd06 handles the left side.
0x007cd3f handles the right side.

Put in the ID you want (mind you this is on 4 bytes, so don't just change the first one (43 01 00 00 is what gets pushed onto the stack) or you'll end up with the wrong ID regardless) and you'll be set. The whole block could be NOPed out, too, to remove it entirely. I can show you how if you're interested in taking this a bit further.

The Press basically pushes instructions every couple of units of time. This handles which ID is created. I set it to the weapon energy shard and they'd come out of the holes every few units of time (0xA1 and 0xF1 according to the code.)

In short, the code PUSHes 43 01 00 00, then CALLs the instruction that handles the creation of the butes - I think that's actually a call to the CNP instruction, and the PUSHed value is the parameter. There are a few more stack operations above it, which may also be the position.

This is for version 1.0.0.6, by the way. Look for 43 01 00 00 around those two offsets if your version is different.

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:19 PM
"Huzzah!"
what can I do to make 2 different heavy press fights one with the butes & one without them can I hack npc.tbl to only use the butes with heavy press on a specific map

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:48 PM
The Bartender
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Npc.tbl only holds information about the sprite's behavior in relation to the map and the player, not its AI. The creation of the butes is part of its AI.

It would be necessary to alter the code to check which map ID the player's on to do what you're describing. The offset holding the current map is 004a57f0 in memory.

Short of an assembly hack, this cannot be done. You could, however, fake this by disabling the bute spawn points and creating them yourself manually with events. I haven't tested this, but I think you could have an event call itself indefinately and that does nothing more than wait a little bit, spawn something, then FLJs on a certain flag to event 0000. The flag could be set once the boss dies. I don't know if multiple events can run in parallel, however.

Jul 6, 2006 at 1:38 PM
"Huzzah!"
I could do somthing like make a group of butes appear apon the defeat of another group of butes & continue this for the average time it takes someone to defeat heavy press (If I knew what that was)

it does work that way in the original fight doesn't it? it waits for you to kill some before sending in more?

anyways how do I disable the bute spawn points?

how would I do the assembly hack ?

or could I just make two heavy presses in the npc.tbl one with & one without butes?

Jul 6, 2006 at 6:20 PM
The Bartender
caveoholic! said:
it does work that way in the original fight doesn't it? it waits for you to kill some before sending in more?
Nope. They just keep coming. At least, I'm quite sure I had more than 2 every once in a while..

As for the rest, in case you missed it...

caveoholic! said:
anyways how do I disable the bute spawn points?
RuneLancer said:
0x007cd06 handles the left side.
0x007cd3f handles the right side.

Put in the ID you want (mind you this is on 4 bytes, so don't just change the first one (43 01 00 00 is what gets pushed onto the stack) or you'll end up with the wrong ID regardless) and you'll be set.
(Hint: 0.)

caveoholic! said:
or could I just make two heavy presses in the npc.tbl one with & one without butes?
RuneLancer said:
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Npc.tbl only holds information about the sprite's behavior in relation to the map and the player, not its AI. The creation of the butes is part of its AI.
Not to mention that you can't simply copy the data twice and have it behave the same way, seeing as how only the NPC's properties are stored in the table and not its behavior.

Jul 6, 2006 at 10:05 PM
"Huzzah!"
I solved the problem by stoping the butes from ignoreing solidity and changeing the properties of the space under the floor to 44 (quote only tiles) so the scrambled sprites wouldn't show up & in the map that I did want the butes in I set the tile properties of the grate they come out of to enemy only