Another New udpated version of Blade challenge( v2.5)

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:02 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
So, after cave story 2 demo was virused, I decided to restart it on a new computer,but It is not finished yet. Then I worked on another short mod, called Blade challenge. This mod is a hard level using only the blade. Report any bugs, read the file read me first before playing, and I am shure there is no viruses in this mod, beceause I used a new computer, since the last was virused. Enjoy and leave e some feed back. :p :debug: :mrgreen:
Older versions:

BLADE CHALLENGE v 2.5 : http://www.mediafire.com/download/84nenca4ksqnu9o/Blade.rar
Fixed all the bugs I could found in the comments, added the Nikumaru counter.

I hope it is the last udpate

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
This mod is pretty cool, but also very hard! :pignon2: :toroko2: :sue: :momo: :greydroll: :muscledoc: :balrog:
The sandcrocs are everywhere like the file read me said.
It would be better if there was the Nikumaru counter though.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Well, that was a rather short challenge, didn't really throw the Blade much, but I did see some glitches.
- The Outer Wall Background is broken, gotta fix it
- I think I saw a glitched-up Critter or something while I was working my way up. It hopped and was a mess of white sprites
- Need to put a H/V Trigger in the entirety of the bottomless pit so that one doesn't have to Restart/Quit the Mod to try again

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"

-LIKES-

the high level of difficulty

All of the hopping baddies. :hoppy:

-DISLIKES-

I have to equip the booster once I grab it, just add an <EQ+0032 to fix this

Clouds don't scroll/aren't parallax

The equipment screen is in french. and pretty much all of the unaltered text.

It says that you got the blade from king. (in french)

Unless this was a desired part of the challenge, I an puzzled on where I should go.

-BUGS-

Can grab booster 2.0 multiple times. there should be a <FL+ and a <DNP to fix that.

After you bet the blade the first time you should set a skip flag so we don't have to read the text with Kazuma again every time we die.

From what I can tell you know very little about modding. But you still did good! I like the level and want to see this finished!

Here, I went and modded your mod. it should have (most) all of the little things fixed.

CLICK HERE

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Here are my thoughts on the mod.

• At the start, during the intro dialogue, there is a mistake, it says "This mod is a the blade challenge." to fix it change it to "This mod is the blade challenge." or "This mod is a blade challenge", either one works.
  • Also, during the dialogue Kazuma says "Sue!" I don't know if this is intentional or not but it doesn't have any real relation to the challenge, as far as I know, so it would probably be best to remove it.
  • There is a random chain segment above the treasure chest, in the starting room, that stores the Blade. Screenshot:
    diph.php
  • The 'bkMoon' has not been configured correctly, currently it just tiles and looks quite ugly, I don't know how to initialise it so that it scrolls like it does in the game, I haven't modded Cave Story in ages but, someone on here will surely tell you.
  • When you pick up the Booster v2.0 the '=' signs have not turned into the white orbs like normal, I went into the script to see if I could figure out a solution, what you have to do to fix it is remove the <TUR command from the event then they should appear as white orbs.
  • Also, after getting the Booster v2.0 the Sparkles entity remains and just repeats the same message over and over, the reason is that you have set it to disappear when the Flag ID is set but you have not set the Flag ID and, if I again am not mistaken, for 'Disappears once Flag ID is set' to work you have to leave the map, there is a chance I am wrong about this though, anyway, here is a solution to this:
    • The first one is to add on a <DNPXXXX to delete the Sparkles.
    • The second one sets a flag, after you have collected the Booster v2.0 once so then when you select it again it the flag jump activates and it takes you to event 0501 which displays the Sparkles to be empty.

<FLJXXXX:0501

<PRI<SOU0022<CMU0016

<MSG<GIT1023<IT+0023<MSGGot the =booster v2.0=!<NOD<RMU<FL+XXXX<END

<PRI<MSGEmpty.<NOD<END
  • You have used a Critter in the map but currently it appears as different segments of a Night Spirit. The reason for this is because in the 'Map Properties' you have set both of the NPC tilesets to 'Moon' this means when the Critter entity you placed is looking for the sprites to use instead of taking...
diph.php
...the sprites from the top corner of NpcCemet...
diph.php
...it takes them from the top corner of NpcMoon, to resolve this all you have to do is set 'NPC Tileset 2' to 'Cemet'.
  • Finally, whenever you die it is quite annoying having to go through the intro cutscene all over again, I suggest putting a Save Point in the opening room so the player can use it after the intro cutscene so they don't have to watch it over and over again, having to do that removes lots of the enjoyment and makes the mod a lot more monotonous, it is best to get the player back into the action as soon as possible to avoid frustration, keep a fast pace and reduce the chance of a rage quit.
Overall there are quite a lot of flaws and issues to be worked out but, the mod itself seems quite fun, I didn't get very far due to the reason above, and I've always liked challenge maps and this one does seem interesting and actually quite challenging so, keep it up and good luck with the mod. :mahin:

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Thanks guys!
I made this in one hour,and I thought you will say something like " this mod sucks" or something like that, anyway thyanks for advice. :orangebell:

Try the new version, all the bugs have been fixed;
at least I think
the first level isn't the same, and I added other levels.
Enjoy!

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:47 AM
Life keeps going, but my temper doesn't.
"..."
You are REALLY new to modding...

What I like:
Looks like a cool challenge
Quick beggining

What I dislike:
If you say no in the begginning, the map messes up.
A bit too hard
Sandcrocs are unrealisticly placed
Night Spirit spam
I have to put on the booster automatically.

If you would like me to help and fix some of these, don't hesitate to ask.

And if you wanna put sand-crocs, I suggest at least putting sand.

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Ok, I added another version. In this version:
-I added the Nikumaru Counter.
-I fixed the start map.
-I fixed all the bugs I could find.
-And I made it easier.

Download it from here : http://www.mediafire.com/download/84nenca4ksqnu9o/Blade.rar
Or go in the third link of the description.

Oh and, by the way, yes, I am REALLY new at modding :p :awesomeface:

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
The Last udpate seems better, I will download it and play it tommorow.